Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it Difficult to UnChannel a 32 coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutbush, Jul 11, 2013.

1. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

I am looking at buying this '32 coupe that has been channeled. I want it back to stock so the floor sits on the rails. Is this a major pain to do?

2. R Pope

R Pope

Shouldn't be any worse than channeling it in the first place.

3. ls1yj

ls1yj
    from Kentucky

Are you planning to do the work yourself? What is your skill level to do the metalwork? Its a bit of work, but not impossible to do. You can purchase inner rockers from Brookeville, or fab them yourself, or section the lengthened rockers if they are still useable. What kind of shape is the body in?

4. on a skill level scale of 1-10, that job is an 8-9

5. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

My skill level is good. I am confident that I can do it, but really didnt know how to go about it. If I buy it I'll post pics and show you what there is to do.

6. Not the easiest thing but it does take time and a lot of work. HRP

7. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Not to difficult at all considering the aftermarket subrails and floor panels
    that are now available. A very important part to pull this off is to have a
    stock firewall as your starting point.

8. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Has anyone chiming in actually done this?

9. papajohn

papajohn

I did it on a Model A coupe. Fortunately, they left in the door sill portions of the subrails, so when i cut out the diamond plate , channelled floor, i could then drill the rivets out from the a and b pillar mounts at waht was left of the factory subrails.

I then bought repop subrails and cross channels and reassembled a new floor structure. The cross rails were oversize, so i ordered sheet metal floor pcs and put the puzzle together around them, then cut the cross channels to the proper lengths. when all was tacked together, i dropped the body down and reattached it.

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

This totally depend upon your skills and equipment. If you've sucessfully done body repairs and fabrication before, and you use new reproduction subrails, it won't be too bad. But I'm guessing that since you're asking, it might be a bit much for you to undertake. A '32 coupe is an expensive car to learn these type of skills on.

11. x2 on this...

The reproduction subrails and floor have made it easier for sure. Pictured below is your basic unchanneling kit...

[​IMG]

Check the build thread in my signature line. There are some pretty good shots detailing the unchanneling of my coupe.

Don't let it stop you from buying a deuce - It's a deuce for Christ's sake!!! :D;)

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How badly they hacked it when they channeled it may be the big issue but most of that will get replaced anyhow if you do it the way he showed above.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Leave it, channeled '32's rule!

14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Channeled cars are a lot of fun. I just cut up a perfectly good '34 3W to get that old 50's east coast look.

15. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Make sure that you take a good look at the doors also. If it is channeled alot you will most likely need to repair/replace the bottoms of the inner doors.

16. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Lots of good advice here which I very much appriciate.

17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Mine wasnt channelled but i replaced all the subrails and floor. You can use the pics as reference to see how much support structure was cut out when channelld. Its not hard work, but take your time and take a lot of measurements of an original car if you have access.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've never had to do this, for which I am deeply thankful, but this might be useful: Get hold of a stock firewall, as already suggested, and a pair of rear fenders. Each attaches to the body (though firewall/body interface is a bit sketchy) and to the frame, giving you some pretty solid mounting points fore and aft that should be correct so everything isn't just flopping around while you put a floor together. In addition, the firewall has two extra bolts that allow the cowl to be tilted slightly by tightening or loosening them, giving a way to adjust hood surface and door openings before you nail everything down.

19. Lurk king

Lurk king

Seriously!
    I bought my deuce "cheap" because it was "so much work to un-channel it." :confused:
    who would want a old channeled hotrod?
    I say un-channel it, "dry lakes" chop it and build a real "ol'skool" 40's 50's 60's hot rod just like back in the day. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  20. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

any more pictures of your 34 ....that is a cool lookin coupe

21. F&J

F&J

I'd leave it channeled.... but... yes I have unchanneled what was left of a 32 5w. I did not buy repro subrails and whatnot. I only bought a repro rear 2/3 floor because I was travelling right near Spadaros and had a truck.

Tony also unchanneled his 32/5w without repro rails and floors.

22. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

23. sled

sled

MAD 034,i was about to ask the same question and in the bigger pics car its a killer!!!Well tought
    What maroon color it has on it??looks perfecly applied,way better than only primer..base with some suede ,perhaps??
    in any case congrats,beautiful ride!
    Sorry to go offtopic..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  24. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

The shots make it look a bit different than the actual color. It is more of a red oxide in real life. You are correct -- 2 stage base with a bit of suede mixed in. Thanks for the kind words.

I am also sorry for off-topicing!