Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Agelic

Agelic
    from Australia

Yeah wow. I suppose some dude with miss Adelaide in the shed at a colonial theme park wouldn't really give a shit about it. I give a shit, as it was my great grandfathers boat.

Pm me and I'll buy them trophies but don't rip me. Lol. I know what you paid. Would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Cabover Hydroplanes from the past
    A cabover hydroplane has the driver seated in the front and the engine in the back of the boat. They became popular in the late 1960's and by the mid 1970 were running with the best of the conventional hydroplanes winning many races in the bigger classes like the 7 Litre and Grand Prix. Powered with blown of injected Hemi and Big Block Chevy engines they could run around a race course like they were tied to a cable. In the smaller classes the day's of the conventional were just about over by the mid 1970's. The bigger conventional GP boats held on into the early 90's but in the end the Cabovers ran supreme. Today all racing hydroplanes are cabovers leaving the conventional hydroplanes for Vintage " Fly By's" show events.

Long Gone GP-4 a Jones built hydroplane was a spectator favorite both in the US and Canada from the late 1960's till the end of the 1970's. The different Long Gone boats were driven by some of the best drivers of the time. Most noted Tom D'Eath who would later become a three time Unlimited Gold Cup Champion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last of the Long Gone hydroplanes. Constructed from Honey Comb aluminum it was a hard boat to drive

[​IMG]

Early Long Gone constructed in wood.
    [​IMG]

A bad day at the races, Note the AA/FD Hemi engine for power.

[​IMG]

Advanced United, the first Jones Grand Prix hydroplane made out of Honey Comb aluminum material. This design was used on many of the fastest hydroplanes of the time. many ended in disaster. The Advanced United was capable of speeds over 175 MPH and in 1976 it spun out going into a turn wide open driven by the late Andy Miller. Andy was OK, but the boat was not. Today it sets in my yard waiting to be rebuilt so that it can once again go out and play with the other Vintage Hydroplanes.
    A little side note, when Weisman the inventor of the modern day paddle shifter was looking for some place to install his new transmission. He placed it in the Advanced United. They ran it for one season and removed it. Today all the Formula 1 race cars use the paddle shifter first used in the Advanced United Hydroplane.

[​IMG]

3. Long Gone and Advanced United

Long Gone going up against all conventional Lauterbach hydroplanes. Note the Advanced United in the background, yes it's a Lauterbach conventional. After the Jones Cabover was wrecked Fred Wines, the owner purchased one and ordered a second Lauterback that he campaigned until the early 80's. The Advanced United in the picture later attempted to brake the GP straightaway record and blew over backwards. The last Advanced United Lauterbach. the second boat was reported to have run an unofficial 200 MPH speed. It was then placed in a warehouse and the Advanced united team was disbanded.

Picture should be credited to professional photographer Phil Kunz.

[​IMG]

4. shop teacher

shop teacher

Johnny- I raced with Charlie Milosevich in the 70's & 80"s. His dad, Wally built a boat for Advanced United out of wood and was lighter than the honey comb aluminum one. It was also fixable . Those days were a lot of fun! Bill

5. The Wally built boat driven by Kent MacPhail. That's interesting about the pickle fork conventional being lighter than the Jones honey comb boat. I purchased the Jones from Fred in 1983 and rebuilt it once but never got to race it. I had been racing Super Modified race cars for a few years and the powers that be in the World Grand Prix Hydroplane drivers association informed me that they wouldn't renew my drivers license. I was told since I hadn't competed out on the trail I wouldn't be eligible to drive Grand Prix hydroplanes the next year. I couldn't beleave it because I was one of the original drivers back in the early 70's that started the organization. Remembering back we never had more than twenty two drivers at any time qualified to drive the damn things. Like anything in life when we lost a driver there was always a new face in the crowd ready to slide into the drivers seat.
    I've had the Jones all these years and my buddy's wanted to rebuild it a second time and run it with the Vintage Hydroplane guys. The problem is all my old friends have died off and I'm the last man standing. There is a Vintage hydroplane team wanting to bring the boat back to Minneapolis and rebuild it back to the Advanced United Colors from 1976. At this time money is the issue, they are waiting for the economy to turn around so they can unload some commercial buildings. I was told that Larry Lauterbach will do the work rebuilding the boat. At this time it sets in my yard out in front of my shop. The good part about the boat being built out of honey comb aluminum is that it doesn't rot like wood.

A point of interest, in 1983 when I purchased the Jones Advanced United the two other boats were in the warehouse. I was interested in the Lauterbach at the time until I saw the Jones over in the corner. I had forgotten all about the boat until I saw it. The Lauterbach was for sale for $18,000. At the time Henry Lauterbach was getting $15,000 for a new boat with the latest advancements. The Lauterbach was 300 lbs heavier because it was a blower boat. I had five injected engines from my Super Modified race cars and wanted to run any one of those. I felt the extra 300lbs would be a disadvantage if I ran injected rather than blown engines. I could have built a blown engine, but buisness wise it made no sense so I passed on the Lauterbach.The pickle fork boat was going for $6,500 with a trailer.
    Your correct about the good old days, they were one grand time. My friends were drag car guy's, and ran at New England Drag way. I would make the trip up and never got it, at the end of the straightaway it was all over. At least with hydroplanes and Super's at the end of the straightaway you turned left and went racing. I did want to run a jet car and spent some time with the late Roger Gusten (spelling). In the end I was never able to put a deal together. My buddy's thought I was nut's. They liked to go fast, but a jet car was way over the top. The hydroplanes were more exciting than anything, even Skydiving, Aerobatic Airplanes, and Super Modified race cars. My feeling was, you only go this way one time you might as well get it all in. That way in the end you won't have any regrets. I never thought I would still be around, you just never know I guess.

[​IMG]

This picture was taken in Florida in 1977 with the newer paint.
    [​IMG]

6. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Here are some cool pics of old boats from Salton Sea postcards I found online. Looks like it was a bitchin' place before it got all f'ed up. :D

Attached Files:

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Just finished this thread from front to back.I love the classics.Weather they be cars,boats or aircraft.Thanks for the memories.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365040822.552976.jpg . My brother next to the boat I learned to ski and drive, at a tender young age.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Johnny Sweet - just a quick note: Roger Gustin is not "late". He is alive and kickin' butt, lives down near the Ohio River near where he grew up.

10. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thread 7 years old, not "TRADITIONAL" hot rods. no wheels, some may not period correct, but since it was started by Ryan, I guess it's okay??? My 2 cents to through in some shit. NICE WATER CRAFTS.

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

It's got no wood and no Allison V12's but it will fit in my barn.

Attached Files:

13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Well thank you guys very much, now I need a boat!

14. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick from Rocklin probably knows about these boats, they were based up at Lake Tahoe. Rocklin is just down the hill from Tahoe.

First is "Scooter Too".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This boat was owned by Henry J. Kaiser, prior to his owning "Hawaii Kai". I worked for Henry during the summers in the mid 1950's. That's Henry in the suit and tie with his ever present hat.

Another unlimited based at Tahoe was J. Phillip Murphy's "Breathless" and then "Breathless II", both driven by his son Roger Murphy. The Murphy's owned a large steel mill in Oakland, Judson, Pacific, Murphy.

First is "Breathless", a Ted Jones design (with driver & mechanic seating, just like the original "Slo-Mo-IV").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is "Breathless II", a little more updated design.

[​IMG]

Note the Lake Tahoe Yacht Club flag on the rear fin on both "Scooter Too" and also the original "Breathless".

15. I appreciate you letting me know that; no disrespect was meant but I did think that Roger had been killed and at the time when I was told that it hit me hard. You made my day and when you see Roger, if you do say hello and I wish him many more good years.
    Thanks for posting,
    Johnny Sweet

16. rick finch

rick finch

The BIG boys are in town this weekend...the thunder boats are racing on Folsom Lake.

...wish they were these.:cool:

[​IMG]

...but gotta settle for these.:(

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  17. rick finch

rick finch

Been along time since I've visited this thread...I received a double lung transplant January 7th and I'm now back in the hunt.:D

One of my favorites as a kid, Bill Brow and the Miss Exide...I was devastated when he was killed driving the Miss Budweiser in Tampa, Florida.
    R.I.P. Bill :( (once called the world's fastest milkman)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rick finch

rick finch

19. rick finch

rick finch

1955 "Gold Cup" on Seattle's Lake Washington...I was there. (9 yrs.old)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The winning boat Gale V from Detroit driven by Lee Schoenith, there was alot of controversy, he didn't win any of the heat races, but scored more points than Bill Munsey in the Miss Thriftway...

[​IMG]

20. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Not a raceboat but period---

Originally built in 1957---refurbished in early 60's. 13' Thunderbird V-drive. Was unfinished hull that we stained and varnished, then installed running gear. Neat boat!

Attached Files:

21. ^^^ Such a cool boat.any pics in water ? Thanks for sharing pics.

22. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

these are of a now late friend who made this record run of 231.6 mph. on a earlier run the shot shows the KB TF hemi as it blew at 221 mph.

Attached Files:

23. swimeasy

swimeasy

Boy, I hope that one is still around!

24. rick finch

rick finch

The rear engine hydroplane "Skip-A-Long" powered by a 2000hp Allison...built in 1948. After winning 4 out of 5 races in 1949 it sank in 469' of water during an exhibition race at the Lake Tahoe Yacht Club Regatta. The technology needed to raise the sunken craft did not exist in 1949, so it remained in a watery grave for many decades until it was raised in 1984...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    porkshop likes this.
  25. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

^Just incredible.^

26. Here's a couple from here in BC. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about them, other than the pics are from Nelson BC, on Kootenay Lake.

Attached Files:

27. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

29bowtie, the third picture of what appears to be a wood stepped hydro is a beautiful race boat. It is hard to tell the scale of it but I wonder what the boat is powered by (Packard, Miller maybe?).

Thanks for posting the pictures, amazing even today how many people a boat race can draw.

28. I still miss boat racing. I had many enjoyable years, as a crew member, on some very quick vessels. We won 7 of 8 events in TA/Hydro in our last season, before switching to a TA/FC.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Tonights launch of the CC, first time out this year. Damn...

Attached Files:

30. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Wow, the boat sure looks great behind the new Diamond T.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad