Register now to get rid of these ads!

A 1930 Model A followed me home...my first tradtional hotrod build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace5n85, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Kool49

Kool49

Ill be watching most definately , as i just got 30 5 window yesterday practically in the same condition as yours . Ya if you would please im intrested in the frame also so please PM with imfo or if its legal here just post it ? Not sure about that so please forgive me in advance.

2. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Post any pictures yet?!

3. hardysmodela

hardysmodela
    from colorado

Looks great so far.. You will be done in no time.. Mine was crap yours looks good. The patch panels that you buy suck..Good luck

4. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I just noticed that Flop mentioned it and I looked all of mine are from Brookville and they still don't match hammer n dolly time! Can't win em all... Or any of em I guess haha

5. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Off the blaster...Should be back early next week. Hope it goes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the mean time, I'm trying to get these beads to match. I'm finding this is easier said than done for a rookie like me. Flop was right. The patches aren't exact by any means. I'm thinking I'm going to get a bead roller and make my own piece for in front of the rear wheel well. The bead for it is about 3/16" wider and aint gonna be easy to fix. Not for me at least.

[​IMG]

After I rounded the bead a bit

[​IMG]

Flat

[​IMG]

Rounded a bit

[​IMG]

6. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Tons of potential there!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  7. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

thanks! The car seems to be pretty good and definitely workable. It's my ability that I hope will do it justice. I guess once it gets back from the blaster and I can see all its secrets, I'll feel better (or worse) about my chances. :cool:

8. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Well, got the blasted coupe back earlier than expected. Its about as good as I could have hoped. The spots I knew were bad were bad... But nothing else. The only surprise was the mud on the bottom of the door, but that was getting swapped out anyways.

Here's what that paint was hiding...

The good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When it comes to complete bolt in panels, like the below deck lid piece that you'll need I'm sure you'll find Brookville parts will be just fine.

Frank

10. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Thanks for the tip all my patches so far are Brookville they seem to be pretty good not perfect but none of them are from what I hear

11. Flop

Flop

the brookville is the better version of the panel under the decklid . put an original brace in it instead of the crap that is in there . Have fun taking the back apart !! Its the biggest pain when it comes to model As . Also if you use the whole cowl patch its too long and the line under the cowl band and the brake wont line up .

12. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Flop,

put an original brace in it instead of the crap that is in there .
    What brace are you referring to? sorry I'm a rookie.

Also, I follow your builds quite a bit and think i recall seeing that you use a 80 grit disc to clean up your welds on patch panels. Do you use a DA, Grinder, etc? If i can get mine to come out half as nice as the stuff you got in that shop of yours i'll be stoked. Thanks man

13. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Spent a few hours on the coupe the other day. Got the crap metal ripped off the back of it and started patching a few rust holes/bullet holes. WHO THE HELL SHOOTS A MODEL A?!?!!? Its not much but here's the results.

Cowl bullet hole fix. thought i'd get lucky cutting it with a hole saw. No dice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I patched the other bullet hole, too. I'll have to owe you a picture on that one.

Corner of the quarter. this simple little piece sucked without a shrinker/stretcher. I NEED NEW TOOLS! I still have to clean up where the welder burnt through a thin spot and make it a little celaner. It's about 80% done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And by the request of several people on here, I bought some Gibbs and wiped it on. Seems to work pretty well (tried it on some other crap, too).

[​IMG]

I'll be back at it tonight and this weekend. I really wish my frame would get here so I'd be able to start cutting unneeded things out and making some fun stuff. Patience is a virtue, but it still sucks.

14. Anything new on the coupe?

15. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Ordered some new patch panels and subrails. Subrails fit like absolute crapola. I have the body apart to build the subrails and cross braces but it seems like the rails are so different it's tough to get them to "match" my Henry rails. I made. Some templates of the factory shape and an trying to get these a closer fit. Ill post some pictures later. Sorry for the delay

16. Joe Bassett

Joe Bassett
    from usa

17. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Thanks man... Frame is running about 14 weeks late but hopefully when it arrives I can get moving on it a lot more. And Hershey is next week! Maybe I'll fix some Model A goodies!

18. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Wow. First of all, sorry for the lapse in updates for those who were watching. I've been very busy the past few months getting the garage ready for winter. I upgraded to 220V power, which is SOOO much better than the 15A fuse that was there previously. Also, I ran natural gas to the garage and installed a 80,000 btu heater to keep me from wishing I was dead all winter. So, there's my excses for being a turd and not posting. Back to hot rods...

This was about three weeks ago, frame (finally) was on its way and I spent a few days cleaning the shithole I'd created over the past few months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then...On a magical Wednesday in November...IT arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete and Jake's brake/clutch bracket

[​IMG]

19. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Tossed on most of the parts I've been gathering over the past few years. So good to see them on a frame and not a shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts list, if you're wondering:
    So-Cal Dropped Axle
    So-Cal Chrome Spring
    So-Cal Spindles
    Wilson Welding Hubs
    '40 Backing Plates
    '37 Split-wishbones