Register now to get rid of these ads!

Busted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Jul 11, 2013.

1. D-man313

D-man313

So what happens if you have a speedo but it's not hooked up?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You gets lots tickets for speeding

3. True - the law is for 58 and newer, But that didn't stop him from writing it!

4. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

lol

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

the deal hear isn't the speedo imo but the odo! between lying to your insurance company, "tampering" with the ODO if you ever sell it.... there's lots of trouble to be gotten into...

doesn't matter if you know how fast you are going. hell I can tell the cop exactly how fast I was going by RPM and gear. all a speedo does is the math for you.

get a regular speedo that shows the miles and call it good.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So what happens if the speedo breaks and you replace it? Do you have to carry the old one? Doubtful. I've replaced mine 3 times because it was cheap and has a good warranty. How is someone to know what your actual mileage is, if you replace it every 6 months?

7. I got multiple warnings from vehicle abatement about my f-100 parked in front of my house and not moving,the bozo would look in the window and record the odo mileage.
    I wrote a note saying "beyond the mechanical limitations".finally complained to a higher power and the hassling was stopped.A jerk cop who lived nearby just doesnt like old american cars .Funny that the honda parked next door with weeds 1 ft high never got cited.

8. D-man313

D-man313

2 years without one and haven't got stopped. The day I hooked the speedo up, I was "testing" it and it spun to far and broke the spring inside. It hasn't been hooked up since.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If I recall correctly there is no requirement for a speedometer but there is a requirement for an odometer in the California Vehicle Code.

10. 28050. It is unlawful for any person to advertise for sale, to
    sell, to use, or to install on any part of a motor vehicle or on an
    odometer in a motor vehicle any device which causes the odometer to
    register any mileage other than the true mileage driven. For the
    purposes of this section the true mileage driven is that mileage
    driven by the car as registered by the odometer within the
    manufacturer's designed tolerance.

Further,

28053. (a) Nothing in this article prevents the service, repair, or
    replacement of an odometer, if the mileage indicated thereon remains
    the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the
    odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before the
    service, repair, or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to
    read zero and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left
    doorframe of the vehicle by the person performing the service,
    repair, or replacement specifying the mileage prior to the service,
    repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was
    serviced, repaired, or replaced.
    (b) No person shall fail to adjust an odometer or affix a notice
    regarding the adjustment as required by subdivision (a).

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'll be. I'll have to look and see what Texas DMV says. Thanks for the info.

12. It sounds like fun to drive a gasser on the road, but there are the concequences...

13. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

I think this is Federal law. Odometer tampering is a federal offence. Every time we have replaced a speedo at the dealership we have stickered the door jamb. Nowdays we have the new speedos, with digital odometers, ordered with the correct mileage burnt in.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Years ago when working in the Grey Market import Cert. we use to add milage so they could be registered.

15. Goldy

Goldy

I have a car that has been a Hot Rod since the 1940's, then it was owned by a man that raced midgets with Ford V8 60 engines. So the model A became powered by a full race flathead V8 60 engine out of a midget. No problem with state inspection because there was no original engine law.
    In 1957 Joe Pulli bought the model A with the 60 still in it and sold the engine to a midget engine builder. Joe then commenced to Z the chassis using a 46 Ford rear frame section. The body was fitted with a 50 Merc dash, 40 Ford steering column with "three on the tree" and a complete floor and trunk, similar to a 40's car, then set over the frame, channelled about 6 inches. Then he installed a brand new 292 Ford Y block with 3 carbs, Isky cam, and Thunderbird finned aluminum valve covers.

Completed in 1959, to title it for the highway it had to be inspected and approved by the Pa. State Police. Once approved, a title was applied for as a reconstructed vehicle. When titled, the Pa. State police then performed a State Inspection, affixed the sticker to the windshield and you were finally done. Annual inspection stickers could then be done by any private State Inspection Station. The good part was that everything on the car was then considered "Original equipement" even the home built headers. The car was reconstructed without bumpers and was legal. To meet the fender requirement it had bobbed on the rear and wheel covers on the front. The bad part is that the local police would give you a ticket anyway and you would have to fight it, even though were legal.

Joe Pulli sold the car because he needed the money to get married in 1960. I bought the car when I was just a kid. I am now 69 years old and we still have the car in the family.
    When I was a kid driving it around I would constantly get stopped by the township police. "Where are you bumpers ?" - "I don't need them !" - " Yea right, here is your ticket". "Hey Kid, dont you know that headers are illegal ? here is your ticket it is too loud"
    I got so tired of the hassel I put nerf bars on it but I kept the headers. Eventually I gave up and took the car off the street, put roll bars and a 301 Chevy in it with a 4 speed and ran in NHRA D altered. The last race for it was the 1971 Summernationals at Englishtown where I made it to the semi - final round.
    After that it was parked for thirty years. Then my son Kenny, (G Bones 32coupe on the HAMB) freshened it up a bit, took out the roll bars and put it back on the street. The amazing thing that prompted me to jump on this thread is that we cruise that coupe all over the place now with open headers and no rear fenders and the local police seem to care less. I guess that times have changed from when a hot rodder was considered a menace to society. Now I am just an old fart driving an even older car!!

Sorry about your citation, I am probably next now that I opened my mouth. Oh and by the way, my speedo doesn't work either. I think that the 50 Merc speedo turns the opposite direction of the T10 Borg Warner gear, so it hasn't worked since the early 60's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  16. I used my tach, in high gear 2000 rpm+60 etc, etc, but it's only "accurate" in one gear and mine's a c4. The original speedo is still in the "A" but hasn't worked in 50+ years. Never heard of no speedo being against the law?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  17. raidmagic

raidmagic

Do you have a smart phone? There are a ton of GPS speedometers you can download for free.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

19. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Ouch! I mean OUCH!! :eek:

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hahhaha, that´s a great thread! As for the odo issue... maybe he would have been fine if you told him that your gasser only does a 1/4 mile at a time and you´re just counting your runs...
    Maybe you have been lucky for the last 20 or so years.... file under CS sounds like a proper measure to me:)

21. rld14

rld14

Got pulled over in my 54 Ford by a local agency here in NJ.

Failure to wear seat belt
    Defective backup lights
    Missing seat belts in car.

That was fun in court :)

22. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

oof! What is this world coming too?

23. Admittedly don't know what the "law" is but when I got pulled over in a '61 chevy that didn't have a speedo I told the officer "i was keeping up with traffic" and he said that was an acceptable practice. --- WA state around 1990 or 91? ---

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Does the speedo have to operate? Maybe just shove a cool looking dummy speedo in the hole. How would the cops know?

25. ironpile

ironpile

I`m not the low rider police but I have heard too many scrub line accidents that injure or kill people,not desireable, so make sure the vehicle will not lay frame at speed.I`m not a fan of extreme lowering ....but I understand it.:D

26. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Buy the vehicle code book for your state. Over the years mine has saved me thousands in bogus fix it tickets. Hell it's probably all online now. I had a cop write me a huge ticket one day and I beat every one of the infractions in court. Just because they write you a ticket doesn't mean shit. Most cops don't know the law on old cars.

27. ironpile

ironpile

Cant help with speedo.Wouldn`t it be great if the "Law Natsi`s" would do their job and keep the real violaters off the road.Like the ILLEGAL ALIENS!:(

28. ???????

29. I knew I looked at this thread for a reason..

30. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Would the unit from VDO work ?

4TTRUK