Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. They're from a 1913 painting, "September morn." I found a lot of prints and things on the net, but not a single reference to any tiles. I also have a very old felt pennant with the same girl on it. It is lettered "september morn" These appear to be pretty old, and never installed. My wife paid 3.00 for the set!

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

hope you don't slip getting out the shower n fall down a....oh never mind :D:D

3. Besides countless small details, and the lead work this is all I have left to make/repair.
    Still some pretty complicated parts, but I see some light in the distance!!

Attached Files:

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

that T-bird sure is a mission for you TinB...no mistake

5. Yes indeed my friend. It is both my most challenging restoration and my last. I've actually enjoyed it. Learned a ton. The owner has been great. Most guys blame the metal man for the cost. He understands that buying this car was his mistake, not mine! :) I'm going as easy on him as I can, but I decided a long time ago to get paid for this shit!

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

your last? are you retiring?

7. Yep! I'm done after this. I'll keep teaching for another few years, but no more restoration or builds for anyone but me! Summers will be mine to do whatever I want!
    I was going to wait til the bird was finished to start back on the Stude but I just couldn't wait. This fall and winter will be devoted to the Stude and rebuilding a 1960 10 foot travel trailer. Next summer I'll be going places!!!! Who knows, I may come see you in the next few years :D

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

COOL !! You'd be most welcome !! I sold my 1965 13foot caravan(travel trailer to you) 18months ago. Will hopefully get another one some day. They rock.

9. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

You need to come down camping on the St Joe with us. 2 different friends have 60s 10-foot trailers.

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

Any major dude knows that's why they make ''Kitty hair'' pizza boxes & aluminum tape- for those "complicated parts'':D

Oh, and that ''light in the distance'' of which you speek...........thats the shop light shinning through the floor boards of the Bird:eek::);)

Your metalwork looks great, and it looks like you're havin fun!

11. Absolutely! My wife grew up in that area, we love it.
    Thanks! That made my day! It's only funny cuz it's true!!
    And it even surprises me how much I've enjoyed this restoration. It shows the true depth of my sickness :eek: Although I really am ready to be finished with it. After the lead it goes to someone else for the finish work. Good decision! I hope to have it go to a hamb member that started a shop in Deer Park for finish and paint.

12. FINALLY some shop time!! I've been able to take a break and get some R&R so I went for it!.....Good times, great fishing and crabbing in the sound, but it's back to work now.
    Made enough progress on the bird to justify some play time, so with some help from my son, we got the sleeves & post cleaned up. Put the top half back on, measured every way possible and stitched the pillars and post together. Welded enough to make it solid and rigid, but will finish on the rotisserie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  13. We are in the process of aligning the sectioned drivers door. It's looking good. Probably better than the factory did :). This is one thing that has to be perfect on a custom. My son Josh started prepping the other door for sectioning. We'll fit it and the back of the cab to the rocker before moving back to the front sheet metal. Kind of mundane stuff for a while, but I'm excited. Up to this point it has been a mock up. Now it's real!:D

Attached Files:

14. wayfarer

wayfarer

Great work, Eric; I can't wait to see it all together.

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

Go !! Go !! Go !!!!! :):D:D

16. 66slabside

66slabside

Glad to hear your son is out there helping. I love it when my 10 ear old comes out and hangs out in the garage with me. Rides looking great!!

17. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

18. mikes51

mikes51

Holly smokes, was that T bird buried half way in some dirt field??

19. It really should have been buried. DEEP! It spent it's life in Alaska. Got wrecked pretty hard a some point. Looks like it underwent four "restorations" . Been more hands on that poor old car than my second wife!
    I started a thread for that and other metal work.
    Thanks for the support guys! I really wanted to work on the stude today............but I had to finish saving the T bird fender that got out of shape. This shit will humble you once in awhile! I did make a cool little tool for stretching welds. Hammer welding is getting hard on my hands, and really hard in limited space. This little palm hammer works incredible. I'll be using this on the Stude!

Attached Files:

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

for a minute there I thought you had started a thread on all the hands that had been on your 2nd wife...then I re-read your post...:D:p

21. It does read that way! :D No way, really I don't have that kind of time.....

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

keep an eye out for an update from me later tonight on my F1...heh heh I spent the whole day on it!!

23. Cool, been hoping you show us some more! I'm going to try to cut my other door tomorrow.

24. I've been able to spend a little time on the Stude the last few days. Just fitting and welding......and welding......Drivers door is fit & welded. Passenger door is fit and 50% welded.
    Made some motor noises!

Attached Files:

25. mikes51

mikes51

Cool build pics, like the old hamb. You know what, I think there was a camera distortion on the early pics of the top chop. It doesn't look steeply raked down in the front at all.

26. wayfarer

wayfarer

27. Tinbender I'm in Spokane for a couple days would love to come over and check out your project

28. I may not have had the cab level on the hoist before. I also moved the window frame more than I would have thought after getting everything squared up and fit. We'll see how it looks once I get the front sheet metal back on, and move things around to get some good profile views. Don't think I'll have to change it, but it's only metal! :)

Cool Jim, I just sent a PM with my phone number. The shops always open to all my friends! Even the one I haven't met yet!

29. Been a while since my last update. I've just got back in the shop after a long distraction. It was a good project (house remodel) but took way longer than I could have imagined. You guys that do carpentry for a living have my respect!

I'm ready to reassemble the front end and finalize the design and welding. I had reversed the rear fenders years ago. They are kinda flat on one end and nice and round on the other. They are also interchangeable front to rear. I've always thought I should use the round ends from two fenders (a R&L) for a better flow. This is what it looks like with the fender stock (straight down) and what it would look like reversed. Of course I would modify the lower cowl to match the curve of the fender. And, either way I will move the fender opening up. So what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

30. Really, no opinions on the HAMB? Ok I'll just keep cutting things up:D

And how do I move this thread to trad. styled customs?