Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sam's 32 sedan build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51farmtruck, Jul 9, 2013.

1. 343w

343w

One bad ass tudor for sure, I like the stance of your rodney! Good things come to those that wait....

2. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

While trying to figure out what kind of pedal assembly to use in the car, my dad decided the easiest would to be just build one. He built the pedal arms, the crossshaft, all the dimensions, ratios, every bit of it, and it works like a dream. The pedals are 1/2" thick, I won't have to worry about bending these during power-shifts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I would of loved to have kept the firewall uncut, but it just wasn't going to work. I have the motor raised up a little bit and back in the car and had to slice the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Wow those are really blurry!

This is a riser I built for the end of the column that welds to the firewall toe board. A KSE sprint car steering box side bell with the column pressed in it bolts to it. The register fits a sealed bearing and the KSE sidebell. The KSE sidebell is aluminum and finned and looks pretty neat, kinda like a quickchange sidebell. Of coarse I don't have a good picture of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Heres the dash layout. I have since replaced probably half of the gauges with older SW's with decent needles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

YEP. You're nailing it!

7. cmarcus

cmarcus

Excellent work! Someday I'll have 30s early metal!! :) Glad to see another young guy like myself on here!

8. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Great Job! I can't wait to see to more.

9. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

On to floorboards!

I wanted to make these as simple as possible. My dad has a really neat, really old pexto jump shear that works like a charm. Most of the floors were pretty easy to make. Any of the panels with bends/breaks I slapped in his brake and bent up.

If you're wondering about the dimpled circles in the floor, my dad built the dies for that when he did his model a pickup. After a little trial and error I got the system down and loaded them in the press and this is the result. they really strengthen a piece of sheet metal.

I think it came out pretty good for my first real floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Once all the controls were set up, I had to make this little foot relief in the trans tunnel to get the throttle comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I really needed to make a battery box to fit in between the trans and ladder bar mount, so I decided to have a go at aluminum tig welding. The welds definitely aren't BASS quality but they'll do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

At this point I didn't want hairpins on the car anymore. So I bought a 33-34 wishbone off of here to use. One problem, the So-Cal axle has 2 1/4" bosses while the 33-34 has 2". With the help of my dad we put the axle in the mill and shaved the perch bosses down. While at the mill we also drilled the axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

With the wishbones I always loved the look of the McMullen roadster with its drilled and sleeved wishbones, and the same with Josh Shaw's sedan. I think my dad thought I was nuts and didn't want any part in this. So I clamped them in the mill and proceeded to drill them out. Then I machined all the sleeves in the lathe and fit them to the bones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Once all the sleeves were machined and beveled then the fun part began.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You have built a very, very nice sedan. Keep up the good work. Your skills you have learned will be with you forever.

16. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

17. How many hours you think you have in drilling/sleeving those bones?

18. cavman

cavman

Killer job!! Shows lots of talent...

19. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Looks awesome. What rear tires and size are you using. Love the stance.

20. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks Rick, that means a lot coming from you. I would love to bring it down and have the sedans side by side for some pictures. We'll see what happens.

21. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Once I got all the materials probably about 4 full days, so 40 hours give or take. It seemed a lot longer though.

22. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thank You. The rear tires are BFG sport truck 315/75/15.

23. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

It's great to see that you finally got a build thread on your Sedan. Its been fun seeing all of the progress over the years. Sam is a perfectionest and I enjoy seeing all of the little details he has been putting into the car. I have always gave him a hard time about the time and effort he was putting into these details but the little details really make the car. Can't wait to see photos of it at Bonneville!

24. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The body had sat on its roof for most of its life. the top was pitted and had pinholes and was flattened on top. I ended up cutting out some of the worst spots and welding in patches. it really cleaned it up some.

If you noticed in the first pics of the body the back was caved in. Like a tree fell on it or something rammed it. My dad and I put a piece of tubing through the B pillars and climbed in the body and proceeded to kick the shit out of the back and then hammer dolly and heat/shrink it back into presentable shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I like the brake and clutch pedal design and the lightening holes throughout your build just says hot rod. I could not really tell if you are finished with the brake and clutch pedals? If so you might want to
    think about adding bushings to the shaft or the pedals.

26. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I started tackling one of the hardest parts of the chop, A pillars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

28. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

29. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

30. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thank You. On the pedal assembly the clutch pedal is one with the shaft and the brake pedal has a bronze bushing in it.