Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Fedex dropped off my Firestones!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54RatRod, Jul 9, 2013.

1. 54RatRod

54RatRod

Getting rid of my red 15x8 steels and radial white walls. Just received my new Firestone 670-15 bias plys from Coker Tire. I also dropped off some oe 15x5 steel wheels with the powder coater. Getting them done in gloss black.
    Can't wait to install them!

Any advise on mounting and balancing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. AZbent

AZbent

3. You need to clean those whitewalls before you mount them! :D HRP

4. Very nice,now go to your local FORD store and buy some "Triple Clean", the best whitewall cleaner I've used...

5. I like purple power. HRP

6. OleEven

OleEven
    from Norway

7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'll bet you'll miss those radials eventually,especially if you drive the Interstates enough.

8. 54RatRod

54RatRod

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into those cleaners.

@Ralphies54 - I hope I don't miss my radials. I just don't care for the look of the radials as much. It's not my daily driver, so I think I'll be ok.

9. IGOR

IGOR

I wouldn't sacrifice the look of bias plus fer radials. I just drove my truck 6 hrs down the road and back on bias plys and it was fine. Small price to pay fer the right look

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Those Firestone are a work of art. I love mine. Ron. [​IMG]

11. 54RatRod

54RatRod

They look great even in a black wall too!

12. This is last weekend in my '54 on I-70 on some old bias plys...it's all about the look.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373413273.004368.jpg

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I heard the same crap about Bias Plys when I got my first set. I never thought they were anything like the horror stories I heard.

14. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I just put some white wall radials on a 63... I put them on by hand to keep from getting anything on the white...

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some of you guys must think we all stayed home before radials were invented. My Dad had a 48 Roadmaster and every Summer we traveled from Pa to Fl to vacation. The roads back then were a hell of a lot worse than what we have today, and somehow we all made it.

Besides, radials look like hell on an early car, especially a fenderless car.

Don

16. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I agree with you Don,look like crap on a open wheel car. But there wasn't any 4" deep trucker ruts on the interstates or even interstates back then. So in the interest of safety if you got a fender put a radial under it. Last word from me so this thread dosn't take on a life of its own. Ralphie

17. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I put a lot of miles on bias tires when I was young, even after radials were available b/c they were cheaper and I was on a budget... and somehow I survived...

18. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Gotta love them firestones! Best lookin tire ever! I forget what they are called but they make these little beads you can put in the tire to help with ride and balance. Some truckers use them. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about and will chime in with some more info.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I use Wesley's bleach white... But sometimes I think it is to strong .. Any one have any experience with it ??

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I used wesleys on my first set of whitewalls and it eventually caused the white rubber to get fine cracks all over.

Now I use simple green natural cleaner.

No problems yet :)

Firestone Deluxe Champions definitely are some of the best looking tires, behind the 7.10 Goodyear Supercushions with a 4"+ whitewall.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Just got rid of mine for some Excelsior radials and I hope your Firestones are rounder than some of the ones I've had. I've run Firestone blackwalls and the whitewalls on my coupe and I'll never buy another set.

22. sololobo

sololobo

They are "THE" look. I need a pair of 820x15 to complete a set for my pickup. Only thing keeping me from it is 400.00 bucks. Good luck with the stones ~sololobo~

23. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

They look beautiful, and I hope they balance up nice for you. And by the end of summer, you'll miss your radial ride.

24. I've Been Running Bias Ply tires for 7 years now no horror stories here either.

Attached Files:

25. I've had 'em for 3 years, can be a little squirrely on some paving( always were). I suggest ya have em trued and balanced, I did. The look is worth it!

26. dwick01

dwick01

Those tires are bitchin!

27. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Use simple green!

28. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Watch your sidewalls. Sent all of mine back to Coker after sides started blistering. Much as I loved em, I went radial...although a bit more appropriate on a sixties ride.

29. I've used Wesley's for forty years. Works great. No complaints here.

The Firestone's do look great and traditional but I'll stick to my radials, thank you. :D

30. 54RatRod

54RatRod

Thanks guys for all the advice and wisdom. I can’t wait for my wheels to come back from the coaters. I’ll post up some pics when installed.