Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Mattitude: the Beginning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TexasSpeed, May 31, 2011.

1. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

psh matt, your the one always talking about reading old hamb threads and wondering what the old hamb was like. add more alcohol to the shit talking and let it multiply, we were just trying to give you a little taste ;)

3. Anderson

Anderson

Hahaha, wow I didn't consider that but Tim is absolutely right! I was setting back and watching those shit storms brew back then.

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

I don't know about the hand warmer, but shaving a beard is a small price to pay for a lady friend... Maybe some have forgotten what its like! Haha I gotta say the women do cut into hot rod time.... I just spent the week holding hands on the beach with my girl. Its worth it!

Just don't let them get in your head! Hurry with that McCord so we can see pics!

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What's not hot rod related? If it has to do with you it's hot rod related.:D
    The power cord could have walked from Fort Worth by now.:rolleyes:

6. If you remember Buffalo Lake you have some real history in ya.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The power cord has been home for a couple days now, but I'm on a roll.. I don't feel like jinxing myself. :eek:

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

*cough*stalling*cough*

9. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Keep building those brackets Matt.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If this was for a paying customer, I would be more aware about updating.. But since this is my personal build, I'm going to take my time and make sure I'm happy with the final product. :rolleyes:

But since you're so anxious, here's a brief summary of what I'm working on right now. This isn't the only thing I've gotten done, just what my main focus is right now. I decided to go ahead and mount the bones underneath the frame rather than through the frame for a couple reasons..

1. More pitman arm clearance. I realized mounting the bones through the frame, despise the upsweep, didn't give me a lot of room for my pitman arm to move around it since the F1 steering box mounts through the frame. (more on the box later)

2. Moving the mounts to underneath the frame would retain the caster of the front axle at 7 degrees without the need to "V" the wishbone at the front. That upsweep makes it possible for me to mount the front axle, with the proper caster, keep the bung mounts underneath and tastefully close to the frame, without having to cut a "V" in the bones. Really lucked out on that one. :)

Here are a few teaser shots to appease the crowd. I won't go into details here just yet because I'm still working on them and want to be absolutely sure that they work just fine. The third picture shows one of the brackets in progress.. Still a lot of grinding left to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still grinding away at them.. Thanks!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome :) thanks for the update! I know this stuff takes time... Lots of it actualy so I didn't really expect anything grand as far as updates, or to see any finished products I just like to see what's happening, what's making you scratch your head, where your at with stuff.

You know, the process.

Keep on truckin its lookin good :)

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

History, That's me. It was a great place.

Just glad to see progress. I'm not making any. Inspire us. :cool:

13. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Bitching build so far,looking forward to seeing the finished product.

14. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

since its summertime shouldnt we be getting updates all the time now? :confused:

just messing with you Matt. she is coming along nicely

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm waiting until I get my F1 box back and assemble it all to do a big update. I have over 30 pictures to post up here..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I've been lurking around on this build. Nice job.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Figure an update was in order..

As I mentioned in my last post .. When I started playing around with setting the steering box in the frame with the flanges that Neil (Candy Man - thanks!) made for me, I noticed right away that there wasn't a lot of room for the pitman arm to move around the wishbone. I went ahead and finished working on the flanges so I could send my box off to get welded by a friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting the flange tacked on, I sent it to Anderson (thanks, Eric!) to have him weld it around since I didn't feel comfortable handling a torch and a welder at the same time. Yet another reason to step up and get a TIG.. :) Now that the box was out of my hair, I set about figuring out my pitman clearance issue. It helped that my front end's caster was set at roughly 5 degrees. I knew if I left the mounts through the frame, I would have to V-cut the front of the bones and angle it back to get 7 degrees on the front.

That's when I realized that mounting the bones underneath the frame could possibly set the caster back to 7 degrees and provide clearance for the pitman arm. So I set about cutting the tack welds out and making some mounts. I used these through-the-frame mounts from RJay's but that was before I realized my dilemma. So I hacked them up to make new mounts with..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After making templates, I found some thick steel in my scrap pile and set about making mounts..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I didn't take any pictures of the mounts themselves after finishing them because they're ugly.. MIG welds suck. :rolleyes: But they're plenty strong enough. Maybe I can come back later and smooth them some, but for now, they do the job.

I also took a couple leaves out the front. There just wasn't enough rake up front, but now it looks much better. At least, for the time being, they do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I broke it down and started bracing up the body. Since my current torch set-up isn't big enough to tackle heating and bending parts, I figured I could go ahead and start getting patch panels in. My shins also agreed that it was a good idea..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, I'll be trying to move out of town within the next few months, so this may get put on hold while I make the move. Until then, I'll be chipping away at the patch panels and doing what I can.

19. Good to see progress man!

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Photos look great and the progress ain't to shabby either ;) better look out though looks like some one stole your neighbors bed right off his truck! Probably a good idea to move to a safer area to finish this build ;)

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

21. Looking good Matt! Great Progress. Where you moving to?

22. Anderson

Anderson

Looking good dude. Whatever time is lost on this thing while you move will be greatly made up for via all the garage nights at your place catching back up!

Also....get on the '70's bandwagon and lets fix up that Swinger.

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looks good. So many little things that take so much time. I guess I don't get my ride this summer. :( We are headed to Canyon next week.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great, buddy!!!

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks, fellas!

Project truck.. I used to have the only flat black truck on this block, now there are two more. Posers. :rolleyes:

The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Preferably Arlington. We'll see..

YEAH! Not my Dart, unfortunately.. But we can tinker with my '68 C10. :)

This summer? Man.. I wish I was that optimistic. :eek: I'll be out of town for the majority of the next three weeks. Busiest month of the summer for me.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are ya sure you just couldn't resist those sweet vette tail lights and stole the bed for your truck figuring you we're to big and bearded for him to say anything to you about it?

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

NOT my choice.. :) Dad built the C10 and finished in '98 or so. It's been that way ever since, flat black paint and all. It'll get some more loving and attention later when the A is drivable.

... If it ever gets there.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Good luck with your move Matt!! Jealous you get to leave this wonderful, dusty, hot, dry, windy part of the state!

29. JJK

JJK

Looks really great Matt !! Let me know if you make it to DFW theres a really wild guy with a new 58 Impala up there you need to meet ;)