Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Ford cab swap on my Ramp Truck/Dragster Hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Finally going to get started on the cab swap on my ramp truck, The ramp truck is a late ford , my plan is to mount a 1947 Ford cab on it to haul my 60's Comp Coupe drag car,, I wrote Ryan a note and told him what I had planned and wanted to do a thread on it, but didn't want to piss everyone off, He said go for and we'd see how it went:eek:, my first plan was to make an extended cab, being the one on it was an extended cab, but my donor cab for the back half fell through, so I'll mount this cab and add a sleeper or storage box behind it, the ramp part of this deal has an engine hoist, generator,75 gal. reserve fuel tank, and tire rack above the cab, I do the work myself and because I'm cheap:D I'll try to fix an old fender before buying another, in other words I do most things the hard way:confused:,, Here's some pics to start with, and yes it will fit, with a little modifying:rolleyes: Thanks Tim Jones,, BTW I take lots of pics:D

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Being the cab and hood is in pretty good shape , I'll start with trying to straighten some tin,, The worst is the pass side front fender, smashed pretty good , plus the lower end on the back had been cut off:(, so I'll have to do alittle metel work and try to rebuild whats missing:D, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

After work I got started knocking the fenders back in shape, the pass side fender wasn't as bad to do as you would think, Amazeing what an old stump ,a block of wood and and a good hammer can do:D I'll take them to work tomorrow and weld up the cracks and maybe start making the new back section ,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking good Tim. Heck, with a tree stump and some large rocks added to your tool kit, that thing will look like new in a short time.

Definitely subscribed to this one. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

5. Babyearl

Babyearl

Bring it on,, I'm waiting for the transformation,, I love this kind of thing.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome I will follow your build progress on your truck

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is the real essence of hot rodding.....using what you have and taking newer stuff to create a vehicle that works for you...anybody that badmouths this project really doesn't understand what it's all about.

8. 4444Design

4444Design

looks like an interesting project!

subscribed

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

I like your photoshop of the red extended cab. If you can hold off just a little, it might be worth your while to search for another cab to replace the extra one that fell through.

The worst problem with this cab stretch is getting the window surround on the rear side windows to look good. 1, use two pairs of doors to keep the job relatively easy. 2, use one pair of doors and reshape the front upper curve to match the rear curve. 3, swap the doors and turn them around so the front sloping curve faces towards the back. It would give a slight Model A-400 sort of look to it.

If you simply take a second pair of doors, stick them in there, and then fill in a wedge section between the front and rear windows, well, it'll look like ya ain't even trying very hard. I've never seen a stretch cab one done like that that I liked the look of.

If you're pressed for time, though, you may just have to go with the utility box instead. ;)

Good luck with it, Kinky6 :cool:

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Tom ,,I keep the large rocks in the tuneing box for the race car:D ,,,, Tim Jones

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks , I should have a good time trying to make this work,,,, Tim Jones

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks I hope it will be worth your time:) Tim Jones

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks I hope most will like the look in the end, The cab interior will remain as stock looking as possible , Wanting to keep the later running gear is remembering what it's like to be stuck in the pits after a good rainfall:eek:,,, Tim Jones

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks,, I'll try to keep it interesting, China, huh, we had some guys from china working at the zoo I work last year , One guy spoke some english , was a big car nut, He said he was from Macao,,, Tim Jones

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks , The other cab was along a creek near my place , but was too rotted to do any good , I am in no rush, Lots of time but no money:(, I like the idea of turning the doors around, I'll still keep watching for another cab, being they still seem to be had for a fair price,, but I could always just extend the cab and have it still have the COOL look:D Tim Jones

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Today got the cracks welded up from the backside but didn't have time to start building the missing section, but my weekend starts after tomorrow and I'll get started then,,, The welds arent very pretty but there getting ground off any way:), Tim Jones

Attached Files:

17. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Hey if you need a mollases tank I got one cooking:D

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bob,, I'll have to take you up on the offer when I get alittle more done, got to looking on the net and found a left fender for $75 so I'll get it and save the half fender,, got the front end pulled off the truck today,, My plan is to use the old wire loom off the ramp truck and get rid of the AC ,and some other stuff, and use a 47 ford under dash heater, Can't wait to get the cab off,,and start fitting the 47 cab Tim Jones

Attached Files:

19. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

cool project. ill keep an eye on this one for sure!

20. jfrolka

jfrolka

Cool project. These swaps are pretty fun to do, the little stuff takes the longest to get done. I am doing a 48 ford body onto a 95 chevy truck chassis. Good luck with your project, have fun. Happy 4th of July as well.

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks ,,, Tim Jones

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks, , My Buddy Bob (27Towner) told me that the front fenders on the 1 1/2ton will bolt right up, but are made for a bigger tires with the larger wheelwell opening,, Good luck on yours,,, Tim Jones

23. Here is some more photos for you to ponder. It's my buddy Brian's '46/'47/'79/'80 Ford that I had told you about in the past. It was a genuine 30 day build, trying to get ready to drive it to Vintage Torque Fest this past May. Only problem, he got three feet of snow the day of the show!

Anywho, It's a 1980 F150 roller and box, 1979 F150 351M and C6, 1947 Ford 3 ton cab and front clip, and 1946 IH rear fenders. She will roll 80mph down the highway all day long!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GASSER STYLE!!!!

[​IMG]

The day before Vintage Torque Fest. Going for the first test drive!!

[​IMG]

The day of Vintage Torque Fest :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn that looks good! You missed a few construction pics though!

25. jfrolka

jfrolka

HAHA, seriously though, its that easy to do a body swap and be on the road.... the little brackets kill ya tho!!! I have over 3 dozen adapting brackets!

The only reason I did an old body swap was due to having a brand new LS efi motor in a 95 truck and a big bill to pass CA state smog inspection. Other than that, its easier to update an original chassis if you still got it!

26. jfrolka

jfrolka

HAHA, seriously though, its that easy to do a body swap and be on the road.... the little brackets kill ya tho!!! I have over 3 dozen adapting brackets!

The only reason I did an old body swap was due to having a brand new LS efi motor in a 95 truck and a big bill to pass CA state smog inspection. Other than that, its easier to update an original chassis if you still got it!

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the pics Justin, Your buddies truck looks good, looks like it fit pretty well,,, Jfrolka,, I didn't get the frame with the cab, and like justin's buddy , I want to beable to cruse down the interstate, My truck with the car loaded doesn't even act like there's anything on the back of it at 70 mph or so :D, Well anyway tonight after work I cut the tire rack off to make the cab swap go easier, and trimed the sides off the radiator saddle, one's gonna need some repair work before long,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well I got the cab wireing loom out and started getting the cab off , So how does a guy who turns 56 tomorrow get a cab off and the other on by himself ,Well first off you have to be VERY hardheaded:D, and used to makeing things work for you, So after checking to make sure everything was loose from the cab, I pulled my handy litte trailer along side the truck, got my ramps off the truck and put them under the cab and on the trailer, and got a big prying device and put my back to work, slideing the 89 cab onto the trailer , it went pretty well considering it was just me doing it, after it was off I put the ramps on the frame and slid the 47 cab up on the the frame,, Hell it only took about 3 or 4 hours:rolleyes: Now time to take it easy,, Enjoy the pics,,,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

29. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Tim I'm impressed on a 100 degree heat index day. Good job! And Happy Birthday tomorrow you'll feel 65 after today. And I left your birthday present in the shed:D

30. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Oh I looked at the pictures a little closer your going to need Kory's help:eek: