Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage American Legends at the Gilmore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Jul 7, 2013.

1. A fine new exhibit at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan puts the spotlight on some historic Midwestern hot rods. Dennis Lesky of the Ionia Hot Rod Shop is the guest curator for this unique show, which is scheduled to run through 2014.

As if you ever needed an excuse to visit the Gilmore, one of America's great car museums, here you go!

American Legends at the Gilmore | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

lil deuce coupe

3. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

You accidentally neglected to include a photo of our boy Metz's (Exstreamliner) 33 Cabrio, which is also part of the display.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. No way, man. It's in there!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was just there... very cool cars. The WHOLE place is cool. Gary

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The Cotton Werskman car blew me away when I saw it in R&C back in the 70's, and gave me goosebumps when I saw it here.

Brian

7. The one that always does it for me is the Arnett/Granatelli/Couch '34 Coupe, but they're all great. Loved the show.

8. .

If this isn't an excuse to attend the Relix Riot next month I don't know what is!

The Relix always put on a GREAT show at the Gilmore Car Museum and now to have this display there at the same time - AWESOME!!!

Mark your calendars and get yourselves to the Relix Riot - Trust me when I say you will be blown away.

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Would love to see this display,.... Always something great at the Gilmore

10. fordcpe

fordcpe

I will be there at Relix Riot Friday & Saturday this year to see it.Trying to bring some more canadian cars with me

11. Scott F.

Scott F.

Cant wait to see this display. Is there pre-registration for relix riot? I havent been able to find much about it other than date/time. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

12. JCShiels

JCShiels

In the Model A building they just put two hopped up four bangers on display. One is a Miller ohv conversion, the other has a Winfield head. More hotrod heritage!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

We have friends in Kalamazoo and plan on being there for American Thanksgiving. The museum is just down the road. Thanks for the pictures Bill, looks like a great display.

14. I just wish it wasn't on top of the Woodward Dream Cruise every year. It's hard to be in two places at once, especially when they are on opposite sides of the state.

15. The Ford building is especially impressive. Lots of cool cutaways, old dealer tools, etc.

16. I think the info is at the museum website.

17. silent rick

silent rick

it's another reason to attend the relix riot this year

18. JCShiels

JCShiels

I was there again on Sunday, got to meet Dennis Leskey - great guy, with a passion for keeping the history of these cars, and the people who built them, alive. That was my 6th or 7th time that I visited this display, I'm losing count. Why so many times, because this is a different experience than a regular car show. There are rarely crowds of people so you can take your time and really study the cars. Besides, there have been some changes in what cars are being shown, and even where in the gallery they are displayed, since the exhibit opened.

19. He's done a super job with it. Just getting all those unique cars in the same place at the same time is quite a feat.

20. Another of my favorites from the show: Father Larry Ernst's '51 Bel Air built by the Barris brothers. This is the car in its second form in gold and copper, as recreated by Keith Ashley. Amazing!

[​IMG]

21. ..had a chance to chat with the executive director of the Gilmore, Michael Spezia, and he is very excited about the American Legends exhibit and the opportunity to hook up with hot rodders, both through the display and the upcoming Relix Riot. I also told him about the HAMB and told him to check it out.

22. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

We were just there last week on vacation. Father in law lives 5 minutes away at Fine Lake so we go every time we're there. You'll need all day or more if you stop to really take it all in. With the new building they have removed the cars from behind the velvet ropes and you can walk right up to them.

23. I love the "no barriers" concept -- adds so much to the experience.