Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Magazine 9/13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Jul 7, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I subscribe to Hot Rod because it was cheap and every now and then, they have a very nice issue. This is one of them. The issue is "History of Hot Rodding" and it covers the best of 1940's to 1990's. There's quite a few pics I've never seen before and it's finally an issue with very few bullshit stories and lots of pics and history. 144 former feature cars.

Check it out.

Disclaimer: I am not nor have I been associated with Hot Rod magazine or Peterson Publishing. This is just a very good issue. So, go to Barnes & Noble, drink a latte and breeze through it.

2. Nobey

Nobey

^^^^^^^^
    What he said........

3. I haven't looked at Hot Rod magazine in a long time,,but it just might be worth a look see,,,BTW,,what's a latte?:D HRP

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's what fake writers drink at coffee shops to get that Hemmingway effect.:D

5. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry! I don't do latte's... Plain ol' coffee is good enough for me... Coffee of choice.... Haxwell Mouse Columbian.... The good stuff!..:D

6. Yeah,good old traditional coffee and black as the ace of spades! :D HRP

7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Hot Rod mag arrived in the mail yesterday {yea I still subscribe still more to learn} Now back to the post I agree its one of the best issues in a while lots of interesting early cars still pretty much untouched from when they were first featured so long ago. Good stuff.
    Ronnieroadster

8. Deuces

Deuces

You got it!!! 4 scoops per pot!....:D:D

9. CruZer

CruZer

The gang who does Hot Rod now are tops as far as I'm concerned. I like every issue.Especially the zanny or off beat stuff.
    I love the roadkill episodes and they seem to respect tradition and yet aren't afraid to try something new and crazy.

10. slammed

slammed

Scott Sullivan rules. And his '54 will be a slayer.

11. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

check out the eastwood&barakat build site here on the hamb. That car is one of the featured cars in that issue of hot rod. That issue was dedicated to all the past cover cars they could find still in existence. My mistake that was an earlier edition the first part of the year, my bad.
    Malcolm
    P.S. The Eastwood & Barakat sedan will be appearing later this year once again in Hot Rod (approx. Nov.) and will be getting photographed soon for The Rodders Journal.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I just got mine in the mail & flipped through it. It's a pretty cool issue. I wish they did more retrospective issues like this when I was growing up. This is a good one to hand to a niece or nephew.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

one of my favorite cars Cheez Whiz is on the cover but then I think I like all of Scotts hotrods. Great issue and fun looking back over the years.

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

One of the best issues in a very long time. I like the new format and I'm a big fan of Frieberger's work but the last few issues have been shallow at best. This latest issue is one I'll eventually read cover to cover.

After seeing all the Homecoming ink of late, I wish I could have brought the Scout down to it. It was featured in the 1973 HotRod Yearbook

15. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

X2.... and this issue is Great

16. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have been reading Hot Rod since issue #1. Gave it up in the 80's because it had turned to crap. I got a special in the mail awhile back to subscribe for $12.00 per year so I send in my money and I have to say they are improving with each issue but this issue, "The History of Hot Rodding" is over the top.

17. Mike

Mike

Ya, this issue is a good .

They messed up some of the facts in the Bean Bandits paragraph. They say that in the early fifties Joaquin Arnett was drag racing with his fellow Bean Bandits Fabian Valdez, Julio Hernandez, Dan Waldrop and Adam Rogers. All of those guys are currently racing and weren't even born at that time.

It's still good issue, though.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I send them an email about it. They're not above mistakes and would welcome the correction.

19. Fenders

Fenders

What's a Hemway? :rolleyes:

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

Rot gut headache coffee :D Sumatra organic coffee beans ground fresh every morning.This is bad ass shit,the coffee of gods...Not just a caffeine buzz but an orgasmic drink...

21. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I'm onboard with the kudos for this latest edition of HR.

DW

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What I like best about Hot Rod, and a couple others, is I read it, maybe tear out a tech article, then Giveit to a friend who is even too cheap to spend the $12. Not that I don't find it much improved, but nothing about it makes me want to save it. Lord knows I don't need any more magazines saved.

23. Boon BA

Boon BA

Hot rod has definitely turned a corner. Lately they have a lot more traditional flavor not just mustangs and camaro's. glad to see it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Hot Rod has gotten much better. Rod and Custom, not so much.

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

​Latte? don't do it Coffee? can't take it. I'm all in for a good old fashioned ICE COLD COCA- COLA! Yeah I still get Hot Rod at the mail box (keeps the mailman employed) the last few months the magazine has been getting better. But I can still only read very few issues cover to cover, too much LS motor coverage for me hell I can't even spell LS without looking it up!

26. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

,,BTW,,what's a latte?:D HRP[/QUOTE] that the first thing i thought! i've never utterd that word in my 53 years, as i can't take the smell of that stuff, including coffee. i'll be taking my hot rod mag in the bathroom with me.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

that the first thing i thought! i've never utterd that word in my 53 years, as i can't take the smell of that stuff, including coffee. i'll be taking my hot rod mag in the bathroom with me.[/QUOTE]

And you think that's a better smell than a latte?:D

Hot Rod Magazine isn't genre specific, so I never expect an issue to be filled with just what interest me. But at $12 for a years subscription, that's a dollar an issue and well worth skipping to the good stuff.

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

And you think that's a better smell than a latte?:D
    [/QUOTE] you've won this round. . .

29. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Yes 100% agree.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Seams like they have returned to what they used to put out .Was a subscriber for many years when I was younger but dropped it.Picked a three year subscription on one of their bargain deals and comes out to around 50 cents a copy.The last issue shows some of the great history of the cars that have been featured.