Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! fan hits 28/29 model a walker radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Jul 7, 2013.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Im in mock up stage with my low model a (6.5in ride height). I have the motor where it needs to be and im mocking up the walker radiator. I have a 15in fan and it overlaps the top of the radiator tank by 3in. I cant move up the radiator or it will look stupid. Am I stuck with a electric fan? If so what one fits it? Also the motor is a 327 with short water pump. Ehhh this sucks!

2. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

If anyone has a electric fan can you tell me how thick it is so I can keep moveing on?

3. Pictures speak volumes,,helps when we can see what you are referring to. HRP

4. Fenders

Fenders

You do not have the motor where it needs to be.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Kind of a short radiator at less than 15 inches tall. As said pictures would help and they do make 12 inch fans.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Engine set back.

7. Your ride height being so low is causing you a fan radiator fan issue. This in turn may cause you a run hot issue. Maybe you can split the difference on ride height by raising it some then be able to get fan radiator issue solved. If you build in a problem it will be harder to fix. We have all done it. Built a 36 Ford. By gosh I was not cutting a perfect firewall. Ok brain child you got no fan radiator clearence. I can fix that just run two pusher fans. Well it didn't run real hot! Jus my opinion

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Rear end up 5deg. Motor down 5deg, drive shaft is level, carbs are level. I have 7.50x16 rear tires and 6.00x16 front tires so big tires and low ride height coused this. Everything is where it needs to be. I really dont want to put a smaller fan or space it more apart because it has a sucide front end and the front tires are far enough forward as it is.

I can email someone pix just pm me bit I have no clue how to post them?

9. With model a walker rad in stock location. Front sump oil pan as well.

Attached Files:

10. Drive shaft should not be level. HRP

11. What frame for this Model A? 32? Stock Model A? Homemade? Your not giving out enough info without pictures. I used a 32 frame on 29rpu with an Olds motor. Had to move front aftermarket crossmember ahead about an 1 1/2". I aint running a hood though. You can probably get the help you need here if you get some pictures up.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, pictures sure will help. what engine are you running? what model Walker radiator? do you have room to install fan shroud? if so, maybe run a upgraded water pump. coolant heat reducer additive, etc. for fan you should check sites like Cooling Components, etc for dimensions that might work for your set up.

13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Explane?

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Home made frame its a 327 with a short water pump

Attached Files:

15. I'm afraid a electric fan is your only option as high as your engine sets. HRP

16. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

More...

Attached Files:

17. Why is the engine so high? HRP

18. charlieb66

charlieb66

Is this a trick post with photoshop pics. Certainly this is your first build. Go back to square one and start over.

19. oltruckag

oltruckag

Maybe mock it up with the engine lower? Cut the firewall and push it back? Since there is no frame you have no problem (yet)

20. I'm guessing the engine is so high because of the "low" ride height.

In saying that is it the chassis that is 6.5" off the ground? That still sounds like around 160ishmm.. which to me seems like you should be able to mount the engine at a reasonable height as opposed to what's currently going on..

21. oltruckag

oltruckag

Probably correct, but as you mention, still room to lower the engine. My A frame has settled out around 9" from the frame to the ground, the engine is nestled in the frame and still has plenty of clearance.

22. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

See "Attachments and Images" under FAQ at top of page next to Log Out.

23. Fenders

Fenders

Good info on that page EXCEPT for "... the driveshaft angle to confirm that it is at least 1-degree down from the transmission output shaft angle and at least 1-degree up from the rear end pinion shaft angle..."

A driveshaft may be horizontal as long as the input/output angles are equal and opposite.

24. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

it does look strange with no front frame rails. yes this is my first frame build and engine mock up. are you guys saying it is ok for the drive shaft to slant down to the front of the car? because if i lower the motor any that will happen. the drive shaft would sit level as it is now.

25. F&J

F&J

Driveshaft angle to the earth means nothing. What you do want, is both U-joints to run at the same angle.

Words are misleading sometimes; the same angle means the crankshaft C/L and the pinion C/L angles need to be the same...or very close.

Ideal U-joint angle as far as best wearing, is said to be 3. There is a online site that says measure shaft length in inches, then divide by 5 to get maximum angle.

26. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Seems this guy had the same problem but just spaced the radiator out more. I dont want to do that. Notice the high motor

Attached Files:

27. F&J

F&J

Building a rod is not like starting with a blank sheet of paper to get everything perfect.

We are stuck with taditional body sizes, eng compartment size and rad height, pedals, column etc etc.

normally the fan is kind of a must during mockup of the motor, as well as getting room for steering box, column and pedals, footroom, etc. It's all a mix of compromises.

Figure out how far you are willing to go, to try to remount the motor, or go at the fan problem in a different way.