Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ive got a nice truck now so ill drive to Tucson
    (wheres the Clifton Morenci area??)

2. RayMiller

RayMiller

Easter az skeeter, need to pick a weekend to do it, what Sundays are you off?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. every sunday I have off but if you want I can take a Saturday off. just need 3 weeks to put it in.
    maybe sunday july 14th?

4. RayMiller

RayMiller

Let me clear it with customs lol but sounds good to me mang!

5. well put all the paper work and requests in tonight so she I mean customs can approve it.

6. RayMiller

RayMiller

Cool brother ill file it!

7. Rad

Sent from my SPH-L720 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. cac646

cac646

I'll be glad to show anybody around Clifton / Morenci!

9. RayMiller

RayMiller

Wifey works next Sunday, maybe Sunday after that?

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Is this off of Phillips Mine Rd?

11. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

12. july 21st? I can do that bud

13. I would like to invite all friends here to my 5th annual Apache County Motorsports Days show at the St Johns city park. If you are in the White Mountain area, you already know where St Johns is.
    If you are in the Phoenix or Tucson areas, it is 20 degrees cooler in the day up here and about 25-30 at night. we are just under an hour east of Show Low on hwys 60 and 61. It is very green and pretty here. It is a great time to get away to Arizonas high country. If you are in New Mexico, we are only 12 miles from your border too.
    Car show- welcoming all years and types of motor vehicles. We also have project classes so, it is not just for trailer queens.
    Music
    food
    Chili cook off
    Burnout contest
    supercharged entries can fire up and 'cackle' too.
    Lots of green grass and shade trees
    $20 gets you and your car in and includes a dash plaque and lunch.
    General admission is free for this family friendly event.

It is not very often you can have on duty firemen hose down the street for you to pull into to burn out and not very often an on duty policemen is one of the judges for a burnout contest cheering you on but, that is how we do it up here! :)
    On this respect, it is the opposite of cruising Central.

[[​IMG]

If anyone wants to attend and can hang out the next day or two, I can show you around where there is some cool vintage tin and more.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  14. Last Saturday, I took the GTO over to Snowflake for their car to promote mine. Then, headed up to Holbrook to visit a friend who runs in sand drags with a blown digger. After that, I rumbled the GTO across I-40 for another 55 miles or so to the Phoenix via St Johns hiway sign and did some more work on it until after dark. Because of that, I could not get more pics but, the second pic below shows what has been done after Saturday.

[​IMG]

On this pic, I put a black line across to show that I have now painted the sign above this line. There are areas above the line that will need a second coat. Most of the area below the line I will have to do freehand. I plan to continue on this sign project later this month.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    Lil32 likes this.
  15. HamD

HamD

16. HamD

HamD

This is the first abandoned / wrecked car I saw in AZ so it occupies my head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. scotts52

scotts52

18. Sad to see that '40 Chevy coupe in that shape, be a challenge to save it but some good parts, or build it as a vintage stock car replica. Lot of much nicer specimens got banged up on the racetracks.

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

40 chevy? i was thinking mopar...

20. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

Saw these in Cordes today, on the way to Crown King.

Curly

Attached Files:

21. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Wow...I could use some trim off that '41 Pontiac.

22. Today there is a nice write up about my event in the Arizona Republic that is happening tomorrow in St Johns. Apache County Motorsports Days here at the St Johns city park. All are welcome to attend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

So , I am real interested , is all this stuff in the desert just free for the taking? , and if so , why is it still there , I live in West Virgnia , and any / all of that stuff would not be there , if it were accessible at all , the pillheads would've snatched it up for scrap before any of us would have a chance , what gives as far as snatching up desert finds?:confused:

24. This is not the purpose of this thread to take things that do not belong to you. There is the concept that it is otherwise rotting away but, that still does not make it yours. I own 2 acreages with about 400 cars total. Some may think the same thing but, they are mine.
    The reason for this thread is to explore, make new friends and see what is out there. we will be resuming our ventures soon now that the weather is getting nicer.

MyCrustyVW and Model T1 like this.
  25. Yes. 1937 or 1938 Dodge or Plymouth at a glance.

26. cac646

cac646

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381696782.694835.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381696799.391148.jpg

These two aren't in Arizona but they are in a desert - the Atacama desert in Chile. Took photos near Chiu Chiu and Lasana, places hambers probly haven't heard of or will ever go to.

27. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks applekrate and everyone posting on this thread. It's been great and I've only jumped around so far. Hope people just leave those rusty hulks for others to enjoy.
    If only they could tell their stories.

28. You are most welcome and I could not agree more.

Model T1 and rtsidejohnny like this.
  29. Last Saturday, a few in our group spent the day further exploring Arizona in the areas of Clarkdale, Cottonwood and other parts of the Verde valley. The highlight of the day was a ride on the Verde Valley rail road. This was an old mining rail line converted to tourism. The train is pulled by a pair of rare, vintage diesels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had access to both a closed and open car and took advantage of both. There was also a bald eagle on display that was brought from car to car. Many opted to have their pic taken with it.

[​IMG]

It was a nice experience, people were nice, food good, prices reasonable. We also visited a museum that had a really nice HO scale layout. It was nice of them to let us actually go into the layout and not have to merely peer through the glass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Model T1 likes this.