Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Compact Car Dreams and Skylark Wishes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jettback50, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jettback50

Jettback50

Have been thinking about a neat little compact for a little while now and found this 1962 Buick Skylark just outside of the 2013 Billetproof show in Centralia, WA.

Not all of the plans are hammered out for this little hardtop yet but she is very solid and rust free, runs and drives! Not bad for a start. Will fix a few of the running and safety issue so I can run it round for the summer before I undertake any big plans during the winter.

215 Aluminum V8, 4x4.5" tiny manual drum brakes, 2spd automatic, 2 door pillarless coupe, coil springs on all four corners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like a nice project. HRP

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap out the wheels and tires, change all of the fluids, and drive it until the end of time!

That thing rocks! (Except for the windshield, man. Get that fixed.)

4. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Bout time you got another Buick! Ill be up there for a couple weeks! I need to check out that beauty!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Jettback50

Jettback50

Thanks

Wheels in this BP are tough to find but they are on the list. Windshield and brakes! Thanks for the complements!

You bet! Any time my friend.

6. That right front fender is going to be a bitch to fix. If you can't find a good one I'd think about finding even a rotty one and cutting out that part of it before I tried to hammer it out.

7. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

I've always liked that body style. Think I'd keep the interior close to stock, upgrade transmission and brakes, and drive it.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aren't those wheels 4-on-4-1/2"?

9. Jettback50

Jettback50

Yeah, looking for parts now. Also need to find hood/grill trim and both wheel lip moldings. Bringing out the peak is beyond me.

Trans and brakes are on the list along with steering and some kind of front suspension upgrade. The interior isn't bad but the dash is missing something, looks a little plain or maybe cheap. Hoping to find someone to help with a rendering.

You got it! Datsun wheels fit if there are any left. Tires are almost new so maybe hubcaps for now and try to wear all the tread off.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6-cylinder Fords, from the 60's, have that pattern, too.

11. Jettback50

Jettback50

They do indeed. That is because the chassis were built right across the street from where the Ford Falcon/ Mustangs were being put together. They were just steelies with hub caps as well.

Of course!

12. Jettback50

Jettback50

Started the inspection and tear down. She is super clean underneath. Never been in a wreck, no rust, and no patches.

There was a noticeable 'clunk' in the steering. Pulled the column and found the rag joint was not up to snuff. The steering shaft moves in the column, not sure if there was originally a lower bearing or if a new joint will center the whole assembly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. cruser64

cruser64
    from Boulder

G'day Jetback

It might pay you to have a look at this group,

[email protected]

Lots of info on compact Buicks there.

Cheers

Cruser

14. Great body style! How 'bout a close up of the smell goody hanging off the radio knob;o)

15. Jettback50

Jettback50

After a long time off. I got the jag joint back in, everything hooked back up and the master cyl back in. Drove her around a little bit and now she has to off to a new owner. Yes this one is for sale.