Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Woody Lee Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nostalgia59, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I've been trying to find pics and information on the Woody Lee roadster and this is all I can find.. Extremely well built '24 T with what looks like scallops/paint by Tommy the Greek. Anyone have info or pics?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roger53 likes this.
  2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Hagemann metal work?

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from a second mag much the same as above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Stogy likes this.

4. the scallops look familiar, there may be a pic of it in a von dutch book i have but i'd have to check

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Outstanding!!

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Can't help with info, but can you tell us your reference mags / articles, please? I've always been fascinated with road racing hot rods, though not many sports rods seem to have been built. Nothing wrong with a fast car that corners and stops, too. Gary

7. Jimmy B thanks again for the scans. You always come through. The metal work is probably Hagemann but it has similarities to the Eddie Dye roadster. Being from Oakland it makes sense that Tommy the Greek and Hagemann had something to do with it. I got the first scan from a 50's sports car mag from a friend.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A truly beautiful roadster.

9. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That just sealed the deal for the style of interior my car is getting!

What a bitchin' roadster!

10. Another from Jimmy B...

[​IMG]

11. The last photo is of Terry Chenowth in 1951...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  12. Another piece of info is that this car was second to the Neikamp roadster at the 1950 GNRS....Not too bad...

13. Heres a photo of the roadster when Larry Neves owned it.

Mick

Attached Files:

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It would be great to find the roadster. I'm sure that's what your after. Or great to talk to Woody if he is still around. Maybe some of our Bay Area, Castro Valley Hammers know him. I'll ask some of my friends.

I'm sure that is Tommy the Greek striping. Teardrops on the dash.

P.S. I had the chance to have Tommy stripe my roadster but I didn't want to drive it down to the bad neighborhood where his shop was at the time. One of my biggest regrets.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  15. Although the 1950 magazine I got the picture from identified the roadster as Larry Neves, there are several differences I noticed from the later photos of when Woody owned the car.

The hood, nose, grille & nerf bar, the exhaust, hairpins & it doesn't look to have the polished rear shock covers. The interior appears to be a single seat with center steering like a circle track roadster.

Makes me wonder if the front was damaged in a race and replaced later on.

Mick

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Are you sure they are the same car? A lot of differences.

17. Steel Rebel, that's a good question, all I know is the article in the 1950 issue of Ford Times was written by Al Slonaker and identified the car as Larry Neves'.

I was going on the article, does anyone know for sure if #2 roadster was actually Larry's?

Larry Neves name is in the 1950 Hot Rod & Motorsports Show program but unfortunately there's no photo of the car.

Here's another picture I dug up of the #2 car at a show, but can't read the placard.

Mick

Attached Files:

18. I think they are different cars. the caption on this scan said it belonged to George Pacheco...

Attached Files:

19. I think that clears that up. Sorry about the misidentification.

Mick

20. I'd love to see pictures of that tube frame

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Really a cool little car, and that rear 3/4 view is absolutely as good as it gets. But I've always seen this car in the background shots of old shows or the lakes and wanted soooo badly to just squish that nose down a solid inch or so, and add an inch or two into the hood's length. That may be sacrilegious to say, but it was so close with every bit of all the right stuff, yet just not quite there in my mind.

22. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Did the Woody Lee get sold to the Granatellis?
    I had, but can't find now, 2 saved pictures of a light colored car, with a 3 digit race number. I think it was a Granatelli car, and I think it looked very similar, particularly how the bottom of the cowl/firewall area was widened.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

A very nice car for sure!! Maybe Neves bought the Pacheco roadster after he sold the '24 to Woody? Does anyone have any photos of the roadster Neves entered at the 1950 Oakland Roadster Show? It would have been nice to know if this was the later Woody roadster or the Pacheco roadster!

24. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Why don't more people build "t-buckets" like this? This is an incredible car!

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's semantics, but this isn't a T-bucket, it's a track roadster. Not everything "T" based is a t-bucket...

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for that!

Track Ts and T roadsters are killer.

I love this little car.

volvobrynk likes this.