Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. bobadame

bobadame

I ran over the local cops dog with my hot rod Model A. The stupid fat dog ran out in front of me and I couldn't stop in time. The cop's kids were in the yard and saw the whole thing. I felt real bad but there was nothing I could do. This was back around 1966. More recently I bounced off a deer while driving a Geo Metro. I slid down the road upside down with the windshield busted out, the top flattened and broken glass and gravel sand blasting my face. I slid into the ditch and the car rolled back up on it's tires. I drove the car home looking through about a 4" space where the windshield used to be. Ok, sorry, a Geo Metro is not exactly a hot rod.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. putz

putz
    from wisc.

driving a 64 vette doing about 60 mph ,I ran over a 14 " broken piece of leaf spring with my left front tire which in turn flew up went through lower fire wall pinning my
    left foot under the clutch pedal !!! I let out a scream as I tried to pull over ,lost a few toe nails ,bruised the hell out of my foot . forgot to mention my wife was in the car,she wouldn,t ride in it after that .that was the one thing good about the mishap !!!

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

The title of this thread immediately makes me think of the Magic Muffler Fiat. What did I run over? Crank, several rods with pistons attached, flywheel, oil pan.......

4. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

My brothers bike in the drive way, pushed the 32 coupe over my foot, deer under the 1 ton dually & the latest heading to Torque Fest hit a turkey at 60 mph top rh side of windshield (wife just about filled her pants).

5. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

I let my wife drive for the first time and she drove over a bush, after taking out 16 feet of board fence and missing a telephone pole by inches. Needless to say, she will not drive that car again. I was, or I should say she was so lucky to end up only with a 2 inch scratch on the hood.

6. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

On my first road trip in the coupe (Baron's Reliability Run in Kerrville TX), I was driving home through downtown Boerne when the car in front of me drove over a gas main cover. There were supposed to be some little clips on it, to hold it flat in its recess, but the municipal utility company had worked on the gas main the day before and hadn't re-installed the retaining clips.

That big round piece of pig iron bounced out of it's recess and landed back in the hole -- but standing on edge. I swerved left to avoid hitting it with the drivers' side tire, but that put it pretty much on the centerline of my Model A. It totally tore out the steering, cut about a 6" gash in the pan, and then knocked the filter off! Oil went everywhere ... and so did the coupe since it no longer had steering.

The only good news is that, after filing a police report, the City of Boerne reimbursed me for all the repairs.

7. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

In my OT '68 Delmont 88 I was blowing down a middle of no where surface street at 6am going to Thunder Valley for breakfast. I slowed down to about 65 when I hit a patch of fog when a jack rabbit studded stepped in front of me. A loud thud and a few bumps later he wasn't none too happy. About an hour later I was heading back and there was nothing on the road, he either walked it off or a was a nice breakfast for something.

8. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

A wolf, while I was driving my chopped and channeled Deuce Coupe to Bonneville in '92.

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

as i topped a hill i hit a piece of granet rock. it took 2 fins off a b&m deep trany pan but thank God no holes. a couple weeks later put on a aluminum stock depth fined pan. that was 14 years ago and its still there..............................

10. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

One of my Dad's favorite stories: 1959, on his way to a dance with my Mom and another couple in Blum, TX (farm country). Dead opossum in the road and the buzzards are eating it. My Dad accelerates to get some squeals from the girls (thinking there's no way he could actually hit one of the buzzards).

One of the buzzards flew up at the last second and came THROUGH the windshield. Smelled like death, blood squirting everywhere, flopping around and making a mess.... Ruined everyone's clothes, and did quite a number on the interior. The good times came to a halt for that day. It was funny a few days later though.... : )

11. With the current ride, the worst thing was a duckling. I didn't even know about it at first. A friend who was following insisted he saw the thing go "POOF!" with feathers flying all over. Looking the car over a few days later I found the duckling; sliced into little bitty pieces by the grill and strewn across the radiator front.

The absolutely worst thing I've hit in a collectible car (1969 Ford XL convertible) was a cow, wearing ear tag 6667. It was early in the morning and almost impossible to see the road that summer morning. The road seemed to rise about 100 feet ahead, so I slammed on the brakes and swerved to the shoulder -- the cow still managed to run in front of the car: She slapped the front and went down the entire side of the car. Totaled the car and nearly totaled me. The was missing some hide and also left a sheen of sh*t all down the road. Otherwise she was fine.

12. von zipper

von zipper

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Don't really know what I ran over, but it sure gave my tire hell. Stu

Attached Files:

14. Looks like a radial that just fell apart on it's own from age, I've had a few do that over the years.

15. RR496

RR496

a couple bums, no big deal...

16. back in 77 in my A truck it wasnt my falt. it was a new datsun truck he wasnt there then was.

17. ol fueler

ol fueler

Well....... not in a rod and it was ALMOST run over something.
    I drove a city bus in Las Vegas for 12 years , one stormy night on a pretty dark residential street in the semi-slums of town I saw a plastic garbage bag blown out into the road in front of me , billowing pretty good. I was going to just run over it as it would probably almost clear the undercarriage, at the last second something just made me swerve around it . As I rolled past it I saw arms and legs sticking out of it!! Some homeless man was using a garbage bag to keep dry and had passed out on the road!!
    Since then , I won't run over even a piece of paper in the road!!

18. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

i once ran over what appeared to be a dead albino mountain lion of some sort. I was boxed in the middle lane on the highway by 2 trucks and had to hit it. It got dragged for a while, and after it finally fell off, i got out to check the car. One of the thing's arm and paw had gotten wrapped around the exhaust by its ligaments and tendons and started to cook. i don't have any pictures to prove it, but it was the strangest thing that I have ever ran over. the arm and paw were white and the paw was about 4" in diameter. who knows what the hell it was...

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I haven't hit anything in my sedan yet but a few years ago I had a 57 Chevy truck that the critters were attracted to for some reason. I hit a few squirrels a raccoon and a skunk(the worst), It took me a while to get rid of the smell from it. I nick named the truck stinky from then on.:rolleyes:

20. Deuces

Deuces

A japanese raccoon.... This ain't no joke!....
    He was screamin' bunzai as he ran towards my car while I was doing???..... Maybe 45 in a 40... Guess he did a nose dive and tried to bite my left front tire... I drove by the next day where this attack happened.. There he was on the side of the road, dead as a door nail.... Poor bastard..:(

21. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

OT S-10, a fireman's helmet. I'm not kidding! I had passed the engine about a quarter of a mile earlier, it was heading in the opposite direction. They must have been returning from a call. When I saw it in my lane, I had no where to go, was boxed in by heavy traffic. It passed under everything but the differental. I heard it scrape for about 10 or 20 feet, then it kicked out. I would have liked to have stopped and picked it up, but like I said, too much traffic.

22. :eek:So far, a 12''1/4'' steel bracket of some sort. It flew up and hit my header. If it haden't hit the header it prolly woulda gone through the windshield and killed my brother riding shotgun.

Attached Files:

23. stimpy

stimpy

seeing your from Illinois one of our famous potholes . that wasn't filled in by a prius , mini or other foriegn P.O.S.

don't know what the P.o. hit but it bent the right rear fender up and left a silver-gray long fur on it as it was bent and the wheel house has the same fur in spots

24. Ha!

25. Andy

Andy

I had a brick come out of an 18 wheeler trailer tire. It hit dead center in my 32 chopped windshield. I laid down when I saw it comming. I was doing 80.

26. OFT

OFT

Deer at 35 mph (9pm) on way back home in mountains. She jumped out of left ditch and hit my AA on front bumper, radiator and headlight (stock bulb type), damaging all but bumper.
    Sadly the doe did not make it.

27. Deuces

Deuces

This is a blonde joke.... Right?

28. Deuces

Deuces

That's why I don't do low riders.... :rolleyes:

29. road killl ! skunk !