Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Looking good Jer !

2. I'm sorry if I missed it, but how much smaller will the backlite be after cutting through the centre? You've got the line of the roof looking very nice!

-Dave

3. Hey Jer,
    concerning the rear glass.....
    Are you gonna tape mount the whole uncut [curved]rear glass on the inside and trim it out the size of the opening on the outside?/jus curiosity got the better of me.....Kenny

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

The b/glass opening is a "taste" smaller than the original. Jesse had a plexi window in there. It might be possible to finesse the whole assy in there. This would be with the idea that the smaller "glass" and that joint in the stainless would compress to make that work. I'll have to see about that.

The flow is correct because it can't be anything else. We're working with all the same components. Same thing with the 1/4 glass. It's just the upper and lower corner's that's modified. Everything else remains untouched. The roof is untouched if the truth be known. That's why this is a natural for 19 and 24 year old kids with "some" experience. The same for MUCH older kids too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. jivin jer

jivin jer

The thought just came to me that you could really make it easy if you trimmed around that b/glass opening on the bottom. That would leave it untouched. Oh..that is, easy for you. I have to do it this way.

JEEZ, NOW WE'RE GOIN' TO HAVE 10 YEAR OLDS DOIN' THIS.

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's some more pics

Attached Files:

7. Whats going on in these photos Jer? Do you use that sliced up bar/tube as a gauge/template to get the same shape on both sides?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. I was not asking about the quarter glass Jer, but instead the REAR [curved] glass.....Kenny

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Tom- The roof looses its contour when its sliced up. The upper arc shows the original shape that those pieces are in. When they're sliced up they look straight, like the lower arc. The tool I made forces all the pieces back into the original shape so I can weld every thing up.

Kenny- All my glass comments refer to the rear (back) glass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  10. jivin jer

jivin jer

More pics.

Attached Files:

11. MATTILAS

MATTILAS

when ya going to start the thread skip the crown is going to be great, You and jiven jer have a lot of the same grit. good luck to both of you, although luck is not what you guys do.

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

More pics.

Attached Files:

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huh? What? Think Skip is over here . . . http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533063

Good sentiments there anyway, MATTILAS.

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

More pics.

Attached Files:

15. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:eek:It's a monster! :cool:You got to love it !:):D

16. banditomerc

banditomerc

good to see you finally tackle the top,nice flow Jerry

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

18. flows nice Jer, keep the updates coming ..

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is my friend Ron Martynow. Ron and I met at my mens fellowship group. I learned that Ron had some extraordinary fabrication skills when he came down to my shop to help on a project I was doing. This in the Seattle area, mid 90s.

He came to the Fort Worth area to work at Bell helicopter. He heard that I was in Texas and looked me up. Lo and behold, we lived 20 minutes apart. To shorten this up he came over to see what was going on and he welded up the slices while I was on that cruise awhile back. These are the pics he took as he did the pie cuts and the welding.

I knew I had to go on that cruise (post #541) and that it would be the one thing that would sink my being able to get to the GNRS. Ron did all the welding and when I came home there was just a little left to do. This is just the sail panels. I could use that as a springboard to propel this project on to the next level. I think it is now well in sight and likely.

Thanks Ron!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  20. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

When my coupe received its "Jesse Lopez/Ayala" chop, the skilled body man formed new rear "sail" panels on his English wheel, then hammer welded them in.

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

I hear ya' Bud but, this is what was underneath all the lead/primer/paint on THAT Jesse Lopez chop.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  22. jivin jer

jivin jer

More pics.

Attached Files:

23. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Did Jesse braze all those welds?

Great Build!

24. OLLIN

OLLIN

Finally got my copy of the 1951 custom trends 101 book, and thought of your thread...

dang. this might have been helpful 6 months ago! :eek:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  25. Karl stark

Karl stark

Have we gone down the road far enough?

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even back in the day the mags sometimes got it wrong. If Jesse says it wasn't channeled, well then, it wasn't channeled! Edit: guess this is a book getting it wrong, not a mag.

Yea, have we?

27. OLLIN

OLLIN

Well i was more referring to the "6.5" chop" part. I think i read way back that jesse said it was 8", hence the whole 2nd donor roof, And someone way back in the posts came up with 6" by scaling the appletons.

Its confusing the way they say its "channeled" but i guess the rear of the frame and crossmember is just kicked up somehow to get it lower?

Either way, i think jer finally nailed the roof profile. Looks good!

Also thought the part where it says "skirts are 4" from the ground" might help nail down the stance.

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

ol55- I think Jesse did use a lot of brass on this car. I get so focused on the task at hand that you've brought me back. Oh yeah. the brazing. I think I'm going to pass on it here.

We could pull over here and look at the scenery but, if we didn't continue on our journey we'd be half way there.

29. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Yeah, my car has brass in it, and if you ask me, it's best not to use it! It has to be JUST RIGHT to take paint, or else it's trouble!

30. Karl stark

Karl stark

I know we're only half way there but I gotta pee real bad!