Register now to get rid of these ads!

sick from weld through primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Jul 3, 2013.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Has any one got sick from welding around weld through primer? For a couple days I was not feeling well (a little dizzy here and there) and thought maybe was coming from that. I have been better and using a mask like I should anyway. It does put off a nasty smell.

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You weren't welding galvanized steel were you? That can make you not feel well.

3. There might be something given off that you are sensitive to. Dizziness can come from tissue swelling in your nasal cavity and/or ear canal. A fan for gentle air movement may help. (don't want to blow your shielding gas away)
    Don't take this as a put down or me being an asshole, but is it possibly psychological. It smells bad so you start to feel woozy. My wife is terrible this way. Any odd odor in the house and she gets a headache and nauseous.

4. Why is that going on with people these days? It's crippling to those that can function.

5. I always wear a paint respirator when I weld at work. I do all the frame work at my shop so I use weld thru primer all the time. I figure the stuff is bad enough that you should wear a respirator when you spray it. It's gotta be worse when it's burning and turns to smoke.

6. I always sandblast to remove any primer or paint before welding. HRP

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

X2! 3m makes a nice welding respirator . Fits comfortably under your hood. Body Shop I'm at supplies them so not sure on the cost. Either way its your health so expensive or not wear one!

8. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Here ya go. I use it when sanding filler too.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372869608.638489.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Most of your weld through primers have zinc in it which is like welding galvanized, it will leave a gas off when heating it or welding it. It can become nasty stuff if your welding a lot and don't have any kind of mask

10. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

It's all new steel not galvanized. I don't think it's psychological. tudorfritz that is why I'm asking I thought of the same thing. As I get a little older I'm starting to work safer hopefully it's now to late.

11. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

High Plains you type faster than me. That was another thought. To bad I think of this to late.

12. i never thought that stuff would really work. always seemed like, if it stayed on, the welds would not be good, if it burned off, it...well...would burn off. it was explained to me that it burned back, then while still hot flowed toward the weld. does anyone know if that is true? has anyone cut the welds apart to check?
    take a couple hits off your oxygen bottle and see if you feel better.:D

13. Weld thru primer is not nice . Read the MSDS that come with it or get a copy from the store where you got it.I try to weld only clean metal .

14. Weasel

Weasel

The more we use chemicals, the more we contaminate the environment. The number of carcinogenic stuff people use is scary. Most colognes and fragrances nowadays are chemically synthesized and contain alarming amounts of carcinogens. People are literally spraying themselves with cancer causing chemicals to 'smell good'. These are totally unregulated and it seems that everything has unnecessary fragrance additives including automotive chemicals. This is not good and one of the most dangerous is brake cleaner. These substances when sprayed on bare metal and not cleaned off before welding cause out gassing of noxious fumes that attack the central nervous system and can cause death. A goog friend owned a marine chemical company for years and mixed up all kinds of powerful but scary substances. Now they have a compromised immune system and suffer from MCS - Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Life is hell - fragrances and colognes attack the immune system and cause a partial shut down of the respiratory system. The throat closes up, the tongue and lips go numb and swell up and they cannot breathe. They now have to live fragrance free and going out in public is an ordeal for them. It is a life changer. For your own sakes click on this link and be informed of the dangers....

www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org

15. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

The weld thru primer we use is very good stuff. No splatter they u get with the others. It's mandatory we use it as a better corrosion protection. As a matter of fact I just put a second bedside on the same o/t chevy truck. Using the weld thru primer helped a bunch, no rust from the first repair. A good weld thru primer is absolutely necessary. If you were just to lap two pieces of clean metal together then weld its gonna rust. But keep in mind all the newer cars a built different from the older ones. It's all lapped and spotwelded

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372875489.465071.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

If I only headed some advise when I was younger and hanging around open headers. My ears ring all the time. Hearing is not quite what it used to be.

Eye protection and respirators are the order of the say. Ear plugs if you got them.

18. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

If it smells nasty, don't breathe it. Look at the MSDS, then get a properly certified respirator for the chemicals in question.

19. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

theres also the possibility that welding isn't the culprit here. low sugar, blood pressure etc. maybe check with your doctor, if symptoms persist. using safe work practices is always a good thing when working in the shop but environment in shop might not be the cause of your trouble

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Respirator is a good idea. A nasal flush (neti pot, or whatever you chose) would be good. I almost always flush after being in the shop all day making dust and noise.

21. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Finally. Sick and dizzy used in the proper context.

22. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

I agree with all the safety precautions. I also have heard that milk is an antidote to zinc fumes (galvanized). Anybody else heard that?

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I cant imagine welding with a respirator on … just set up a fan to circulate the air away from you.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They tried having us wear those at work when welding or torching but they kept starting on fire which can put a person down quickly.

I use a powered air respirator that that blows air into my welding helmet. It keeps smoke out and really helps keep my helmet and glasses from fogging up. It is expensive.

25. Some are just more sensitive. I've sucked in a lot of sin in my 40 yrs in the body trade and it's the etch primer that turns me off.

26. I had a welding instructor tell me this 40 years ago, but cautioned us not to rely on milk instead of common sense. zinc is in almost all vitamin tablets, so I think it is the amount or the particular compound it forms when welded that makes you sick. If I weld any galvanized material, I try to do it outside or with a fan beside/behind me to blow the fumes away. I've only used the milk trick once and it did seem to make me feel better within a few minutes, but I try to avoid the fumes as a first line of defense

27. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

zinc is nasty stuff look up metal fume fever i got it from cutting off a steel grate on an old bridge to replace the beams there coated with a zinc rich primer then painted. miller sells a nice respirator that fits under a welding mask good also there worth having around.

28. Mind you exposure limits, wear safety gear, and for shit's sake, get some fresh air once in a while. I would take a five minute "smoke break" when I was wwelding...I've never been a smoker in my life, but five minutes outside, away from the noise and heat and dirt and shit that lives in a shop is a good idea. If you're not doing this professionally, TAKE IT EASY and don't take chances. Respirators are like jackstands. Use them. No need to kill yourself for a car.

"Only an Asshole gets killed over a car." (from the movie Repo Man)

29. Interestingly, according to ICAR, Chrysler and Toyota now advise to NOT use weld-through primers. They specify that the areas be treated after welding. We use cavity wax on enclosed areas in the collision shop I work at. For use where allowed, the current recommended procedure involves removing weld-through at the weld site (plug weld holes or sleeved butt-joint gap).

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The can says avoid breathing the fumes.