Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Stopped one afternoon at the local gas station / store while driving my 51 Chevrolet sedan. An older lady comes out and tells me that she had recently lost her husband to cancer and that they had gone on their honeymoon in a car exactly like mine. After a few more memories of the car and the honeymoon she finally said " that is a 49 Buick right?" And my answer was "yes mam it is" just did not have the heart to take away the memories she was having that day

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Good for you on that one. My knee jerk reaction would have been to give the correct make and year without thinking.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

I was at a show recently and was walking towards my car when I heard a husband talking to his wife about how great my car was, which is a rarity for me running around all the restored show cars. He was explaining to her how there used to be an old dirt track down the road and when he was 16 working at the drag strip his boss would tell him stories about it. He was one of only 2 people at a show that actually have understood what my car was built to look like.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Just had a great reaction this past weekend. It was the local "Car Cruise Weekend". A friend came from Canada and wanted to be in the "parade", as the cars rolled thru town side by side a big dude in a mid '80's tubbed Buick regal with a huge polished Wieand blower on a BBC sticking up where the hood should have been rolls up beside me and yells over "Hey I really like your truck". I was driving my '41 Ford bobber truck with the $6 per quart flat black paint job. I thanked him and told him I really liked the blower......I'm sure he had more money in his polished blower than I had in my whole truck! :)

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Me: Dont you think black is a color?
    them: thats primer
    Me: nope Its flat black paint

6. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Hahaha that is priceless!

7. sir

sir

....while at a local car show here in oregon a couple of lady's where looking at my truck...(66 c-10) she look's at the oak wood bed and say's...."the bed of your truck look's better than the floors in my house" !!....i just smiled....and said thank you....

8. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

many years ago while at a stop lite on vannuys blvd. a litle old lady crossing the street in front of me walked over to my window to be heard above the headers&said''i had my first kiss in the rumble seat of a modelA''''have fun tonite''

9. I just picked up my 56 olds on a flat bed and was towing it home to utah from wyoming and had people at every gas stop or food break stop come over to talk about it.... old and young..I loved it...and it wasnt even fixxed up ..was still a field find in shape...cant wait to see what happens when its done,,,

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  10. Cute girl in daddies bmw tell me:
    "is that your car outside?"(1951 ford f1)
    _yep
    "its creepy,it looks like it would follow me down a dark road and rape me.

11. afaulk

afaulk

Q. What kind of rear end you got? A. Detroit locker. Cool I've got one too. It starts off spinning one side and then you can feel it lock and both spin. My comment "thats a limited slip". Response "no it's a locker. Not a Detroit Locker maybe but a locker none the less". My response "well get your locker ass out of here before my limited slip food gets traction on your ass. Ron White said it best "you can't fix stupid".

12. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

this!^^^^

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Hey Don, it's kind of a small world, I read your post the other day, and today I am watching an old episode of Gears while eating lunch and all of a sudden I see your car! (season 3 episode 1)

Sounds like a really cool little car with that 6 carb slant six!

Attached Files:

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

It's too bad you feel that way, because honestly I think this kind of thread is one of the things that make the HAMB so damn cool. How many of us haven't sat around for hours with other car buddies telling these stories? THIS is hot rodding friends...

15. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

I pulled into the gas station the other day in my 28 Ford Tudor and a young guy was filling up his car at the opposite pump. He smiles at me as I exit the car and he says "Dude! That car looks PISSED OFF!" I just smiled back. :D

16. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

My car doesn't get out much but the best comments have been in the realm of "I understand what you're trying to do" and "don't change a thing". Gratifying since really I've built it for me as I would have in 1958 and don't much otherwise care what others think.
    Made the very big mistake in the past few days of asking three buddies there opinion on something. Of course got three different answers and won't make that mistake again.:rolleyes: See you guys Saturday.

17. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Ok hope you guys will forgive me. I drive a custom/chopped 66VW. It has 32 ford bumpers on it.( maybe that will save me?) You know those with the vertical bend in the center. I pulled in to a VW show once and one of the ticket takers followed me to my parking spot. He said man those are some cool bumpers! How the heck did you bend them like that?

Mike

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Do you mean 36 Ford bumpers?

19. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk

Stopped In Budville Az to take some pics on the way to viva in 2009. Tiger Mark was standing in the street taking pictures when a van comes screaming to a halt.We figured they were going to complain about him standing in the middle of the road.A good looking girl got out the van starts rubbing on my truck.I mean rubbing.By the time she got done the truck was sticky.I will never forget.(ok im exaggerating a little) But she was all over it.

20. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

I like when people come up and tell me, "This thing gives me the chills"!

21. redzula

redzula

Just the other day i had a teenager walk up to me while parking my wife's metropolitan. He then proceeded to tell me enthusiastically "yo, that car is gangsta as hell" I just smiled as I got out and walked into the store

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Soooo, did you understand what he said??? I sure as hell don't !!!

dave

23. redzula

redzula

Haha not really and I'm a young guy myself

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. One lady asked [ is that one of those cars that float] as she looked at my Henry J

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"You'll never get your money back"

26. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Blipped my flamethrowers on University Avenue one night on my way to the local Quaker Steak cruise night and then decided I better fuel up before making an appearance. So ...this little old lady in a Volvo pulls up next to me at the fuel pump and says, "Excuse me young man but did you know that your car was on fire a few blocks back?". I thanked her for her concern and explained that these old cars tend to run a little bit rich at night. :)

27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Mike Alexander told me that this is how he would have built the car. I don't think it'll ever get a higher compliment.

644287_10151510186890419_1411624862_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    vtx1800 likes this.
  28. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I love it when people say "There's no point in having an car because you'll never get your money you have in it back when you sell it"

LOL, they have no concept owning of vintage cars because you like them.

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, not to mention the new car they just bought is worth half after three years and 30,000 miles.

30. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

There are those guys, and then there are the people that think any restored car is worth $30k+ no matter what it is.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad