Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Wowsers! :eek: Tuckers with a side of cheesecake! We need to get some proper scans of these photos! :cool:

Any back-story on these shots?

2. FC49

FC49

3. I will try to get better photos of them today and learn the story if possible.

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Nope, not about me. I did a trip two years ago and saw 30 Tuckers in less than 30 days. This guy is seeing about 25 cars in 300 days. I guess he has a better press agent or I was just too busy looking at Tuckers to worry about having people write about me.

This seems more like a press trip of some sort. My trip was more of a historical fact gathering trip. I actually photographed all the cars and verious differences. I documented all the motor, vin, and body numbers of each car.

Many people have asked if I am going to write a book about Tuckers. I'm not sure who would buy it. There are only a handful of people interested in the car. Back when the movie came out there was probably more interest. With most of the remaining Tuckers in private collections they just don't get much attention. I'm sure I could fill up a couple books with all the information I've collected over the years.

5. Mojo

Mojo

There's a lot of small run presses out now, where people can do limited run books without it being extremely expensive. Basically, print on demand. It would be nice to have a definitive story on what happened to them, and the differences between them. If it was under $50, i'd buy one.

6. I would buy one in a heartbeat.This is one of my favorite threads.

7. noboD

noboD

Well, then I guess you're going to have to keep writeing here for free. Thanks for all your knowledge.

8. Freeman1938

Freeman1938

As JeffSled said, I also would buy one in a heartbeat.

9. amadeus

amadeus

I guess i have to consider my self a lucky guy,I have seen two of them in the last couple of months.
    i have not read the entire thread so perhaps someone has already posted about these cars.

I was in Anaheim CA a couple of months ago and talking to an Auto repair Shop,nothing fancy,just a small auto repair business in an auto repair complex and lo and behold..A tucker in for a brake job!!! WTF?!!
    I was in awe! the Auto Shop owner tells me that the guy(a regular customer) drives the snot outta this car and that he owns another Tucker;(that is 2 Tuckers!!) in his extensive car collection! I just couldnt believe it;These cars are so beautiful! I never thought I would get a chance to see one,touch one,sit in one!

2nd Tucker Sighting.. Bob Ida's Automotive in NJ. Bob is such an amazing man, he took the time to chat with me,explain,and to give me a tour of his shop (look up the Tucker torpedo video on you Tube) Bob has a Tucker replica , hand built ; that is just simply amazing. (Original that was cloned was lurking under the covers ??)

The Tucker in Anaheim CA was a Sandy Beige/goldish color.. I took pics but have to figure a way to blurr the Lic Plate to protect the privacy of the owner. Let me dig them pics up.
    Out of curiosity,have you heard of these cars here in CA??
    UPDATE: For what I remeber;the guy told me it was tucker #2?

JW

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  10. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Yes, the car you mention is Tucker #1002. It was owned by long time Tucker gurus Bill Hamlin and Russ Brownell. Both passed away years ago but the car is still a great running example of a Tucker. The current owner drives it to local car cruises and shows.

I do know where every Tucker is parked. One owner even joked with me last week by sending me updates of what mile marker he was at. He knows I keep track of the cars closely.

Tucker #1002 has been photographed many times and is all over the internet so I don't think you need to worry about the plate number.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There was a Tucker in Kearney Nebraska over the weekend. If anyone got a shot of it please post it up.

Surprisingly there were 3 Tucker owners in Kearney all at the same time. Hopefully next time they'll all bring their cars.

12. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Rob Ida is using a Tucker to push the Gyronaught at Bonneville. Can't wait for pictures!

13. bnichols

bnichols

Tucker Fan 48, spent some down time at work cruising the internet, and ran across your request for pictures. I asked my Mom if she had any of Grandpa when he worked on the Tucker. Here is one she sent me...hope it's a new one for you and that it posted. BTW, I had a great time reading through all the posts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  14. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374704902.650980.jpg
    Here's a tucker for ya.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. noboD

noboD

Then I guess you know there's three parked in my neighbor's shed, as of about 2 weeks ago.

16. What !! 3 ?

17. I know your looking for pictures, but a fact is nice too. I beleve that the 1948 Tucker was the first car to offer, or have standerd seatbelts.

18. noboD

noboD

Here's one of them, read more on today's Hemming's blog .

Attached Files:

19. MVW49

MVW49
    from Iowa

Seen it driving through a small town in Iowa

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Bingo!!

Tuckerfan48 has already written the book; you're reading it.

Writing the book is always the easy part. Now if someone would just edit this thread, find good quality images, secure the publishing rights of the photos shown here, format the whole thing and then find a publisher for tuckerfan48, I'll bet he'd think about it.

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Those would be Tuckers #1001, #1022, and #1026 on their way to Hershey.

22. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Tucker #1008 returning from Kearney NE. Very nice car and wonderful owner !

23. Mojo

Mojo

I scanned in this article about the prototype engine. Thought some of you might be interested in it.

Tucker engine details.

24. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This has always been a somewhat interesting article. The author used Ben Parsons for most of the background information. Parsons was very involved in building the 589 engine. The problem with the article is that they never really acknowledge that the 589 was a bust. I've never found anyone that can backup the claims made about the engine in the article. I found it interesting that it was written shortly after the death of Preston Tucker who would have known what was true and what was not. If the engine was as good as this article claimed then why was it not used? It makes for a good read but don't accept everything in it as being true.

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Friends of mine took over the family auto repair business that their father started years ago. The building was once a Tucker dealer. They still have some old Tucker stuff hanging on the shop walls. This is in Beech Grove In.

26. Loose360

Loose360

Here is Tucker #1045. I saw it in Houston in 2009, and she was sold 2010

<table id="Table10" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" height="171" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Car Number: 1045
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Ownership: Privately Owned
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Location: Melbourne, Australia
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> On Display? No
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Notes:
    Tucker #1045 sold at RM's Monterey Auction on August 14, 2010 for $1,127,500 with fees.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    More pics

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  27. jack orchard

jack orchard

FYI: as of 8/21/13 there was a 48 tucker grill on EBAY. Just sayin, ...jack

28. FC49

FC49

The 589 concept was sound, but the hydraulic valve actuation was a problem due to the oils available not being suitable for this all-new application. I think it was more a time and money situation that led to it being shelved in favor of the Franklin. The fuel injection on the 589 was adapted from a design already proven on aircraft. I think that had the Tucker been successful, development of the 589, or a similar one, would have continued along with its transverse mounting and torque-converters at each crankshaft end. Maybe in the 1949 or 50 models.

FrankC

29. Max-Therence

Max-Therence
    from France

What became this two-colored Tucker? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. EurekaFreak

EurekaFreak

That's #1046.. Besides the two-tone paint, it also had a front-mounted Oldsmobile engine at the time of that photo. By the mid-1960s, it's body was modified to fit onto a '64 Mercury chassis, complete with Merc engine/trans, dash, steering wheel, etc. and that's how it remained until recently. It's extensive restoration back to Tucker configuration and it's original maroon color is currently nearing completion.