Register now to get rid of these ads!

The ENDLESS Question.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jul 2, 2013.

1. BigIrish

BigIrish

I used to be alot more die-hard Ford than I am now. The more I've learned about different motors, the more you realize there are alot of good ones, all with thier own good & bad.

Do whatcha want. No matter what you pick, you'll get 60% of the people saying you "shoulda put a xxx in there!"

2. Irish,
    You are 100% right there my friend. There is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to make me happy and I am pretty layed back. ;)

3. 1pickup

1pickup

traditional hotrodding at it's essence: use what you have, or can get cheap to do what it is you want to do. I'd do it. But, I've had Chevy engine in an AMC, Pontiac engine in an Impala, etc...

4. wouldn't that make it the perfect Ford?:D

5. rixrex

rixrex

We have a 500 Cadillac in our 64 F100 fleetside to pull a car trailer..when we aren't using it for that we use it to pull tree stumps out of the ground

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I dropped off my tranny for a rebuild and the guy showed me his 67' Camaro. When I peeked under the hood something didn't look right. The 67' was running a 500ci Caddy motor! I was wondering why until the guy told me about the build. Very mild, pump gas, drivable street car, built on the cheap but making 535 ft/lbs of torque! Sounds like fun to me!

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do what you want but I dont want to ever hear anyone bitch when I stuff a Ford motor in my 37 Chevy p/u. The 235 has a rattle that will eventually be fatal and all I have are Ford motors but which one shall I install,the 351-C or the extra Y block and then there will be a 351-W when my 55 convertible gets the 292 if the 235 will last that long enough while I am going through the 292. I am leaning towards the 272 Y block as it will be the most period correct motor in the stash.

8. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Put whatever you want in it, there's an ass for every seat, BUT - I think you might be just as impressed with a 460... lots of build options there. I ran a mildly built one for a few years in an OT pickup, and loved it.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Cheaper and old car building = does not compute

10. cavman

cavman

A huffer and a hat sticking thru the hood?....ain't gonna matter whats under the hood, it'll be cool with either one. And I like Chevy's.......I better, I have a dozen big blocks layin' in my shop.

11. Don't ask me, my current project is a 47 Autocar and I'm putting a 6v53T Detroit Diesel in it. Why? because I want to. Cost? don't know, don't care! (probably less than an equal BBC)
    All that being said, how 'bout a 534 Ford truck motor, you'll probably never see another at a car show.

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Completely Agree! Why half ass it to save some bucks. Im not a Ford or Chevy guy but the Idea of a chevy in anything other than a chevy makes me sick. There is already to many on the road. Just buy a Honda if this is the way you think.

13. TERPU

TERPU

If you have the Big Block and a Bitchin' old Truck go for it. All the people who Pooh Pooh just because it's a Chevy have their heads in the sand. That truck will haul ass and go by everything but the gas station. Would a Ford 460 be a neater choice, you bet. But then you gotta find the right bell housing, top loader, linkage, etc... With the Bowtie it's fab up some mounts and go down the road in a hurry. Besides if you really wanted to be Cool you quit pussyfooting around and build a Chrysler for the blower.

Peace out-

Tim

14. Chiefpontiac77

Chiefpontiac77

Tfeverfred....AMEN.

15. kracker36

kracker36

I have to ask, Do all the guys who love to praise Chevy engines for their ease to build and low price build Ford cars and trucks for the same reasons? BTW, I have a SCOT super charger and a set of Ardun heads to go along with my 32 Ford 5 window that I bought on Ebay. Can I adapt these parts to a 350 because its cheaper than a Flathead?

16. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

The 78,564th Chevy in a Ford thread!!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  17. neighborkidswillys

neighborkidswillys
    from byron

If it means getting another old car out of the garage and on the road, by all means do it!

18. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

No, I would not.