Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I did not realize that the car was that Low... It just looks so Cool....

2. oakhill

oakhill

I'm speechless, and anyone that knows me, knows that rarely happens.

3. Linda570

Linda570
    from usa

I built some new body mounts and got the front end on. Then TONS of miscellaneous crap to do - mount radiator, power steering reservoir, run wiring, brake booster, pedals, steering column, seats, etc, etc...[​IMG]

4. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Yeah man, he's pretty touchy feely with stuff, but then again he can afford to replace it too. He's the only person who has driven my car besides me, but he was really careful and respectful. No burnouts or haulin' ass or anything like that. I drive it way harder than he did, and that's how it should be IMO.

My heart did skip a beat when he closed the hood for me though. Kaiser hoods have to be closed carefully so they don't hit the fender and I didn't know if he was aware, but he got it closed without any problems. He's really, really in tune with cars and knows exactly what he's looking at.

I watched a few videos before we did mine so I had a good idea of how it would go down. One big thing I noticed was how many guys try to talk over him! Nothing like two guys who can't quite get in sync on camera. I think we had a good chat about the car despite my nerves.

The biggest thing I took away though is what a stand-up guy Jay is. He spent quite a bit of time with me, enough to make me feel welcome in his garage. After we were done filming he invited me to stay for lunch and I sat with him, Bernard and his shop guys, just BSing about cars and eating BBQ. The cherry on top was that Jay called my cell phone on Monday morning when the video went up to congratulate me and invite me back when my next car is done. He really didn't have to do that, but for him to take the time to personally call me was classy.

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That's awesome!

My good friend and neighbor has a hell of a car collection and has raced his 30 Chev racer in the great American race and blasted it all over the US and Canada and he got to hang out at Jays 2 or 3 summers back and he had nothing but the best to say about him as well. It's nice to see that a guy in Jay's position is that nice and easy going.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love Jay, don't get me wrong, and he is a true car guy, but it really makes me cringe when people touch other people's cars, I have stopped folks from touching stranger's cars it bothers me that much.

Having said that, it's a huge honor to have him make a video with your beautiful car, kudos to you, you truly deserve it. I hope I get to meet him next month.

7. thebugbox

thebugbox

What a great piece done by Jay. This is one of the best build threads and one of the best finished cars I've seen come out of the HAMB. Well deserved.

8. daddio211

daddio211

I've done the same thing, Nads.

Congrats on the feature, its certainly a fitting tribute for a fantastic custom!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. studeynut

studeynut

Beautiful car, hope my 48 Frazer turns out half as nice. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First time reading your build thread. I looked it up after seeing the write up in this months Hot Rod. Great car and a very well done write up.

11. Just got my NEW issue of Hot Rod magazine, and was pleasently surprised seeing a really nice write up on the Kaiser.

Congrat's, on the article the car came out great !

12. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Been following along on this build for a long while. Congratulations on the Hot Rod article, it was well deserved.

13. doc's

doc's

as stated previously, congrats on the Hot Rod article....great read!

14. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great build, loving this car!

15. 49 Custom

49 Custom

My favorite kind of kustom is one that looks like it was a ride that should have rolled out of the factory that way, but didn't. You nailed it. Congratulations on an amazing build and a great feature.

16. daddio211

daddio211

Well said.

Sent using the NEW Droid HAMB app from atop my toilet.

17. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks guys, the HOT ROD people treated me well. Just got back from the Long Beach Motorama and met a few HAMBers like Bad Bob and Andy with the bitchin green Rivi.

18. cmarcus

cmarcus

Also just flipped through your whole build thread after getting my Hot Rod. You are an inspiration to the hobby, especially for guys like me who are your age. Thanks for doing what you did and giving guys like me hope! :)

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto.

20. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Congrats on the feature in Hot Rod. I truly enjoy seeing the builds here on the HAMB, your Kaiser is amazing! Job well done.

21. Mr.Charvonia what you have created is pure automotive art.

22. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I finally got the issue of Hot Rod with your Kaiser, they did a nice job on it and it was cool to read about a car I have been so interested in already!

Congratulations!

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks guys. I think this issue of HOT ROD should be on the stands for another week or so.

24. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

A few words on this car:
    When I saw it in person @ SEMA, my jaw hit the ground. I took two of the posters, cause i knew I'd drool on one and ruin it!
    Then, I saw the AZ plates, which makes me warm and fuzzy to know this gem is in the same state as I.
    After seeing some shots posted on a Honda forum (i can't remember the photographers name), I thought this car is following me!!
    Lastly, I read the Hot Rod article over and over, under and through...

Summary: I love your car. If you're ever in Tucson with her, please let me know so I could drool on her some more ;)

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

And in case all the coverage has inspired some of you to want to make a copycat version, i saw just what you need. :rolleyes:
    I was on vacation and saw this for sale in eastern WI., the $1500 asking price includes "two motors"

Attached Files:

26. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

27. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

28. layedout49

layedout49

Damn, I just spent 30 min or more viewing this build thread for the second time , it's 3:50 am lol

The first thing to catch my eye was the mini truck thing. I went to high school in Gilbert (class of 06') but I was on the same boat before I moved back to San Jose . Probably had 4 bagged trucks before buying my Chevy . And what's crazy is I remember showing my az friends a magazine during class of Gambinos cars saying THATS FROM MY HOMETOWN! And sure enough , moved back to San Jose and worked and continue to work with Alex . I'm glad that your build was so strong to the kustomizing community and for putting az on the map on such a bad ass car. Maybe you'd be nice evough to show the car next time I'm out there .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Someone tipped me off that all the pictures are now broken. I hate to see this build thread that meant so much to me go away, but fixing all the images would be a monumental task. If you came here looking for info on the build, please check these links:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/kaiser_build_/

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/09/my-first-kustom-the-dragn-kaiser-build-pt-2/

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/09/dragn_kaiser_3/

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/dragn-kaiser-feature/

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/into-the-dragns-den-leno-meets-the-kaiser/

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just watched the Leno video. Nice job man... Really nice job.