Register now to get rid of these ads!

hoodless hotrod issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Jul 1, 2013.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I'm sure yall hate these threads, but here ya go.

I've got a buncha underhood stuff to do as far as troubleshooting and tuning. which of course requires driving around.
    It'd be a whole lot easier with the hood off.

I live in NV, las vegas.
    I know the right answer is "contact local law enforcement" and "ranges by location". But ive called the sheriff a few times with no real direction.

Anybody ever really get hassled for running around hoodless? I guess the worst case is just a fix-it ticket, But i wanted to get some peoples experiances if any.

Thanks guys

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Dude I think you'll be fine. My car doesn't even have the remote possibility of a hood.

3. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yea im thinking that it would have alot to do with attitude as well. If you catch my drift.
    I mean im 25 in a 1955 chevy hotrod, what kinda trouble could i be upto? :D right? just a clean cut citizen

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cops almost never care if some guy's old car doesn't have a hood.

They probably just figure it blew off 20 years ago on the highway.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The open headers and burnouts is what will getcha...

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've read the vehicle code book and never saw that law. However, I suppose it could be in the California Code of Regulations and California seems to be the most restrictive.

7. henry29

henry29

Indiana has a hood law (most states probably do) but I have never had a problem running a car without a hood or a front bumper, and I've had several.

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Heeh tell me about it. Some cops just don't understand traction bar tuning and tire pressure testing. Learned that lesson, But he was pretty cool about it. asked how it laid 45 feet of scratch :D

the things pretty damn loud even with the full exhaust, I already get a little squirmy when 5-0 pull up next to me at lights. I just was worried if running hoodless was gonna be a blantant "Yea dont do that" kinda thing.
    Obviously i see rods and muscle cars running back and forth to car shows etc, But i wasn't sure if they "Knew" a event was going on etc.

Guess worst case is a simple "Yea sorry, just working on it ill put it on".

9. Just tell them that some a-hole stole it...you were on your way to file a police report!

10. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

"MY hood! My hood! I ain't seen that thing in years!"-Mater

11. larry k

larry k

MAN ! i'd think that cooling would be your problem in vegas right now, and i don't think a cop will want to get out of the A/C anyway:confused:

12. No hood,no problem but seriously claiming you are working on the engine tuning is not a reason for no hood,,it ain't like it's that hard to open it.

Be honest and say you don't want to drive your car with a hood. HRP

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm thinking rain will be a bigger problem than police.

14. In Vegas,rain is not a big problem. HRP

15. steve185

steve185

I've been a cop for 24 years, we have more to worry about than if someone has I hood. I actually don't know if it's required here or not? My 32 may or may not have a hood, it won't have fenders.
    Have fun.
    Steve

16. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

As a recently retired cop I can tell you that most of our current cops don't have a clue about the laws requiring a hood .
    In the state where I worked it was necessary to enclose the cooling fan and shield headers or exhaust manifolds, that was it.
    You should be able to access your states general statutes on the internet and read through the equipment section just to be sure.
    With that said if you drive like an adult and as long as your car doesn't sound like a top fuel dragster you should be fine.

Pete

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Coming home from the Rumblers at Terryville Ct gig, the cops had a check-point-charlie set up on the on-ramp to route 6. They had 2 or 3 late models pulled over. I was in the '33....no fenders, no hood, no front license plate, loud exhaust, and NO inspection sticker....thought for sure I'd get yanked over and butt reamed for all these sins. The cop gave me a huge smile and a thumbs up as he waved me through. Some cops are cool cats.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  18. the-rodster

the-rodster

I don't have a hood.

Or fenders,

Or bumpers,

Or turn signals,

Or wipers,

Or license plate light,

Or mufflers,

Or DOT approved tires,

Or side mirrors,

Or seat belts,

Or a speedometer,

Or a top.................

Rich

19. xwing01

xwing01

I pulled up next to a cop at a stop light without a hood. I had full exhaust and didn't pull up like a bat outta hell. He just looked over, gave me a nod and carried on. It's all about presentation.

20. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Exactly....

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you would be more likely to get hassled for no front bumper than no hood.

22. jkeesey

jkeesey

Just be honest with the cops and they will usually be cool. You wouldn't believe the crap I drive around while testing it. One of the most obviously missing parts was a 40 Packard 110 show car missing all its front sheetmetal. Got some odd looks that day.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A simple "it's not done yet". Is probably good enough as long as the rest of the car isn't in a finished condition.

It's still how you present yourself as a few said, if you look like you are hunting a race it might be a reason to pull you over to see what else you have going on.

Around here you would get pulled over for no front bumper in a heartbeat but they probably wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the missing hood except to ask you what you have done to the engine modification wise.

24. bamaheel

bamaheel

25. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Every time I go to Vegas it's raining. Monsoon season coincides with my vacation time.:mad:

26. nha

nha

Yup. Here it would be illegal. "Any portion of body, chassis, or running gear is missing or does not function properly."

However, I've always said there are two sets of laws- those on the books and those on the side of the road. And it never ceases to amaze me some LEOs either don't know the laws, or make it up as they go.

So, some overzealous officer may use that as an excuse to say hi. Be sure you're friendly when you say hi back, or it could be a long day.

27. fsae0607

fsae0607

About 10 years ago I drove hoodless with a Hilborn-style scoop on my O/T car for a long time, never was hassled by The Man.

As others said, it's about your attitude. If you're driving like a bat out of hell then yeah, they'll get ya.

28. jw johnston

jw johnston

I've been driving around on and off in Vegas for the past year I've lived here with no hood on my hot rod and no cops have given me any grief.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been running a "no hood" Hot Rod (see avatar) since day 1 (going on 6 years). Actually have gotten a few thumbs up from some cops. I think you'll be fine, in my opinion.

-Jeremy

30. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Do Motorcycles have hoods? ;) Why should i have to?
    just thinking is all. Never had a prob and i live in nazivill calif