Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 54 merc custom (smoothed)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod0317, Jul 1, 2013.

1. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Just got a bought a new project car on Saturday and drove it to the house Sunday. Allot of body mods already done to the car before I got it and they are done quite well minimal bondo most of it is lead from what I can tell. The car was modded in the early 90's with the smooth look not too crazy about some of the mods but quality is pretty good. It is a 54 Merc with the stock y-block and auto trans and stock interior but I think I did quite well for 3,000.

I've already got a rebel wire 9+3 harness on the way and I am planning on checking compression and putting some go fast goodies on the engine. Also thinking of painting the roof to a cream color to match the interior and doing some tuck and roll 2 tone interior that will compliment the paint. Obviously the crap can gas tank will have to go probably a custom gas tank will be in order for it.

Also I do have a question for the frenched lights how to I take the the damned light out? Do I remove the light from behind the fender? Or can it be taken out of the front somehow?

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Fucking shame what they did to that car

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

MAYBE a good deal...
    BUT YOU DO HAVE YOUR WORK CUT OUT FOR YOU! Ouch

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Looking forward to seeing what you do with her! Lot's of work ahead but it's a great start!

5. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Come on now.... The ass end is sweet, change out the taillights and it's bitchin'! Cut the NASCAR air dam thing off the front and reshape the hood scoop. I dig the side pipes as is.

Oh, and splash some paint on it.

Nice!

6. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

And shit, $3,000!!!!! Worth it all day long.

7. Might be my vision but those headlights look like they were grafted on from another make. ??

8. headlights should come out from the inner fender. lose those stupid chrome covers on the lights at the same time. that car is pretty bad but if you save it your the man. like you said. ditch the side pipes,nascar damn,and put some bumpers on it and it will be waay better. i would also think about tailights.

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I cant see the pics so i cant comment,But i got a 54 monterrey 2dr ht out of kansasand it needed floor pans and a trunk tub but everything else was solid.paid 3000 3 yrs later let it go for 3000.00.just flipped it.NO TIME!

10. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Look like 55 Chevy fender tops to me?

Some of the details have not aged well, but for 3K you did ok. Some paint, wheels and chrome bumpers will change it up a lot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to take some work but you can save it and get it back to something kool. When I
    bought my Merc it was a 90's style kustom and had 240 Z headlight buckets and a front
    spoiler uglier then yours. It took me sometime but you can cut off the ugly and make it
    look kool. Looing forward to watching the progress. Happy Trails, Mick

12. 'Mo

'Mo

$3000 looks good from here!
    I love the seats that are in it. How about restoring the existing upholstery as best you can, leave the top turquoise, make any necessary changes and paint the body ivory?

13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I kind of dig it and it reminds me a lot of what I used to see in our area back in the 80s and 90s driving around on the weekends. I think I have seen this car before but I can't be a 100% sure.

I wish I could find deals like this lol. I can't wait to see what you do with it and I know you will enjoy it.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not remember Mercury's having a 2 bbl motor so I wonder if it was changed with a motor from a Ford,the headlights look to be 55/6 Ford parts and if that car was mine I would be looking for a parts car to get it looking like a Merc again. I think you done good on the purchase and thank God they did not get to the interior and do what they did to the outside.

15. That thing is HORRIBLE! Hope you plan on bringing it back to some sort of "traditional" life. The front is ****ed up!
    Gonna take some work....

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

definitely a unique ride that has potential. don't worry about doing any more paint/interior work until you clean up the front and rear body work already done. will not be easy or cheap.

17. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Lots of potential, and a good price. Look for a new nose from a stock 4 door and start over. Bet the rear has lots of plastic in it.

18. Mercchev

Mercchev

Headlights look like 55 Chevy. Should be able to get to the lights from the back. Nothing you can't save...Running driving 54 Merc for $3k...Well done!

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Who ever had it knew fucking nothing about kustoms. What a waste. Bring it back to life and cruise it

20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I think I would just enjoy it the way it is right now and make it my daily driver for the summer and if you are going to work on it do it over the winter! Man that would be a fun daily driver.

OP I sent you an add of a car in New Market that I would love to have if I had the cash. I sent it to you on FB.

21. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I do like the ass end of it but you are right There needs to be something done about the tail lights one of my first thoughts. and there is not allot if any bondo in the thing either.

I do know the fenders were cut and welded together I am thinking they were probably chevv fenders that were cut and grafted on. It was surprisingly well done though butt welded and all no lap welding.

That's what I was thinking it is going to be a PITA.

Im going to do the roof in either an ivory or cream to carry along with the interior. it will make it look a hell of allot better. as for saving what is there it might be able to be done but its worn out bad it is the slick shiny vinyl and not a tweed it has yellowed pretty bad too.

Im not sure what the plan with the front is as of yet I dont plan on having this for too long I figured I could use some profit from this to fund some of the other cars I have going right now. The front is ****ed up for sure but I do have an idea for the front and rear put bumpers on it and hide allot of the spoiler kind of crap it has going on.

The car came out of Bridgewater and probably was up at allot of shows in the Harrisonburg area.

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I thought I had seen it around our area. I think I have seen this car at Bar B Q Ranch a lot. It may have been a club members car too.

I wish I had the cash for finds like this. Good score man!

23. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

24. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I just ran the engine code it is a 239cid y-block for 1954 cars only clevland and dearborn version. Needless to say I was hoping that it was a 292 or 312 but sadly it is not.

25. Looks like the whole front half of the fenders are '55 Chev... Yeah, the front end is a mess. The back is better, you don't see rolled pans too much. This needs help too, but not as much. The fuel tank solution leaves a bit to be desired too....:rolleyes:

But for $3K, a real deal for a runner!

And who cares if it's a 239; tell everyone it's 312, that's what most do..... LOL! Although if it's the original motor, it should be a 256 as Mercury got a larger version of the Y-block. The 239 was Fords....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  26. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Ive done some 56 f-100's that have the 292 in them and I know those blocks are painted like a canary yellow this motor is the same shade of yellow under some of the teal paint. I did not know that mercury cars had different blocks for the specific years I know the m-100's had a similar casting number system and was almost identical if not exactly identical for their casting numbers.

Does anyone know if there is a reference for the mercury casting numbers? I just used the ford casting number charts to find that the EUB casting is for 54 car specific. I am thinking of getting an edelbrock 3x2 intake with some chrome valve covers to dress the engine up some.

27. Squablow

Squablow

That was a steal for $3K in my book. Way more fun to make over a nice car than to start with a piece of shit and work your way up.

However, I don't think painting the roof will do anything for it. Lake pipes to replace the side pipes, some more period looking wheels and tires, removing those stripes from the side, and swapping some stock bumpers back onto it would be my first moves.

Looking at how the original Mercury bumper is made, I would think you could cut the bottom half of that front end off and mount a Merc bumper onto it without destroying all the paint. If you do it right, this car has a lot of potential for not a lot of money.

28. mikes51

mikes51

He says there is almost no bondo on it. welds are perfect on the front. It's a shame there aren't pictures of those areas, only pics of the worst part of the car (the exterior). I normally don't criticize another person's design but this car would look better in the classifieds with the entire front end removed.

Now where is Gary's email?, we could have the Mauled Merc of the year right here.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the 54 merc was supposed to have a 256 so if its a 239 the motor is from a 54 Ford or 55 truck.

30. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hotrod0317 there used to be a 54-57 Ford (I can't remember years but he had two of them) for sale and the last time I drove by there they were there. The guy had one with a 55 Chevy front end on it and the other was bone stock.

Do you know where Ashby Arms is? I'm trying to think of the road let me get it...Ok its on North Liberty Street. When you pass them the cars will be on the left hand side but if you are heading back into town it will be on the right hand side lol.