Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok- So what year Cowl is this????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaRatRod, Jun 30, 2013.

1. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

1928-'29 fordor.

3. Looks like a 28-29 to me. HRP

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Didn't the '28-'29 cowls have curved/inset cowls? Was going to say '30-'31 Ford.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

pic of a 28-9 briggs

Attached Files:

6. It could be a 30 Briggs body..I'm no authority on Model A's and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night!;) HRP

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Firewall is the giveaway.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Bing. You guys are goooood.

9. perrysmith

perrysmith
    from Idaho, USA

I think the two holes on each side indicate where a cowl stainless band is missing. This is almost always 30 or 31.0 Take thought of the patent plate with numbers missing, then pretend like it should have been placed in the same place on the opposite side. At this location, sandpaper a little bit and you should reveal the exact date, to the day, of the car. Most all model As have this stamp, which is not visible very well unless you rub on it.Perry

10. Ice man

Ice man

28/29 Sdn. Sdn fire wall had double bolt rails on the cowl face. They did not have a cowl band. Large hole on side is cowl lamp smaller hole is likely an add on light of some sort. Iceman

11. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

12. hudson48

hudson48

I'm with the suggestion that it is a Briggs body closed car cowl.A kind of a mixture of 28/29 and 30/31.The holes on the side are for cowl lamps and wiring.The bracketry on the firewall at the top are for the radiator stays.

13. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Ok- thanks for all of the input. It does look a lot like the pic posted of the 28-9 briggs. Never head of a briggs??? Don't know anything about them. Next question is what doors will work with it, or will all 28-29 doors work. I am thinking of turning it into a RPU.

Jim

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wanna say '30-'31 doors will also match right up. Did a modified project that way with some old coupe door skins a while back.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

There's a little misinformation being thrown around.

Like a couple guys said, it's a '29 Model A Fordor Cowl. That's the answer. It could be a Murray or a Briggs, but to know we would need to see the doors. Briggs doors were flat at the top of the window, Murrays were arched.

The typical 28/29 Cowl you're all used to with the scoopy pillars (Like on my coupe) are common to all Coupes, Tudor Sedans, and Pickups. Fordors were like this guys' video. Roadsters were like a coupe but with a bead in the pillars.

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

x2.

17. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

^^ :)

18. Babyearl

Babyearl

Briggs and Murray made the bodies for Ford,, and used the panels for thier cars from the previous year,, if one was to take the tank skin off of the pictured cowl (30-31) B or M,,there would be a 28-29 gas tank underneath,, been there done that. Three piece firewall is the clue. I would pick it up.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That is not a 30/31. It's a 28/29 gas tank because it's a 28/29.

20. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

The only two numbers I see which are clearly stamped on the firewall is 7 8.
    Is this July of 28? I did not have to sand it to see them- they are very clear.

Jim

21. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

This is without a doubt a 1928 or 1929 Model A Ford Fordor Sedan or Cabriolet cowl.

The bodies were built by Briggs or Murray, the Fordor, including the cowl, were based on a prototype designed by Lebaron in December of 1927. There are other ways to identify if it is a Briggs or Murray, there might be a body tag on the firewall (didn't see one) that would have the body serial number and Briggs/Murray. There are other hidden ways to tell if it is a Briggs or a Murray. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/murraybriggs.htm

[​IMG]

The tag referenced in the video is the patent plate which listed all the patents that the vehicle was built under. It would be of no use assisting you in determining what the cowl came from.

-Tim

22. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Actually that date isn't the date the vehicle was built. Research has shown that the date is when the gas tank, not the car, was assembled. The thinking goes that there were some quality control issues with the gas tank and the date was stamped onto the engine side of the gas tank. The earliest known date on a vehicle is May 31 1928 and the latest is August of 1929. There are numerous examples where the date on the gas tank pre-dates the engine and frame number.

Let me backtrack...

The engines were built at the River Rouge plant, they were put on a test stand, run for awhile and then after passing the tests, they were stamped sequentially. These engines were then put into storage or shipped all across the country to a different assembly plant. On the assembly line, as a chassis was being assembled, they would take an engine, place it into a frame and then stamp the number from the engine onto the left frame rail near where the rear of the cowl bolts to the frame.

So, there are examples where an engine with a serial number that corresponds to a particular month are in a car with a gas tank from a couple months earlier.

FWIW
    -Tim

23. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Ok- The Month and year were stamped deep and clear- the year not so much. It sure looks like 29 to me. And if I am reading it correctly it's birthday is coming up! :D

Attached Files:

24. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

The gas tank was made July 8th, 1929. Congrats, your gas tank turns 84 next Tuesday!

-Tim

25. Nobey

Nobey

You are correct Dreddybear it is a 28/29 cowl. The fordor has a little
    secret. It has a false top and if you remove it you'll find underneath
    the complete 28/29 gas tank, like a coupe or roadster has. Rich

26. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Ok- so the date says 29. I have a 28 frame and a 29 cowl. It's a start. Now to start collecting parts to make a hot rod project out of this. I will be combing craigslist and the HAMB classifieds for more parts..........

Thanks for everyones input!

Jim

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  27. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Yeaaa another HAMB success. Khum by ya my lord.... khum by ya
    Honestly this is what i truley like about this board. The knowledge base and tenacity are pricless.