Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see the roughest car you started your build with..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Apr 6, 2013.

1. 68vette

68vette

My first project....glad I was stupid and brave at the same time.

Attached Files:

2. rudetoad57

rudetoad57

Zebo....god yes...its just for mock up....gettin the hieght where i want it theres actually air bags that go under the 36 axle....and the stearing arm i was makeing out of light steel so i can make all the clearance bends in it...and use it for a pattern.You know the drill Zebo....the rich buy the parts with all the thinking included in the price....but a ratrodder scratches his own head.....

3. Rochie

Rochie

Here's my ol' boot, 3 years in between shots. All in my 2 car garage

Attached Files:

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

rudetoad57, I know you haven't been around the HAMB very long, so I'll point out for you that for the most part, HAMBers don't consider themselves rat rodders, and don't call their rides rat rods. Read and look long enough and maybe you'll understand the traditional basis for the rides on the HAMB.

Now about these "clearance bends" in your steering arm, I'm sure no expert, but I don't think that a well made steering arm should have bends, no matter how stout it is. Maybe some one with some better engineering background can cover the why-come on that topic, but that's my understanding of it.

As for the cab on your rod, it does look like you've got some good fabrication skills goin' on, there.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

5. I was going to say that it surpassed "Zibo's car"... now all you have to do is a step by step documentation of rebuilding every aspect of that car like "Zibo" did!!!!! Hahaha!

6. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

It's the roughest because it's my first...

[​IMG]

7. nickk

nickk

Yeah I'm pretty much almost done, all I lack is getting started

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

A lot of people think my Buick is in too bad of shape to repair but man, after seeing some of these project my car doesn't look too bad.

This thread has given me inspiration. I've been cutting and patching on the Buick for the last four days. I think I got some real progress done.

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Started with pieces and parts from a 54 Cadillac
    [​IMG]

Looks way different, but it is more a dream than a real car so far (best mock-up pic)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. Heres my entry from Aug 2010 . Looking back ,what was I thinking ???

Attached Files:

11. Gerg

Gerg

you people make my hate myself with all that skill.... I can fix your computer in trade for some work on my olds?

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

'32 Auburn cabriolet body laid upside down in a dump in Washington state. Barely recognizable in these photos. Took 12 years to built the national award winner below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mike bowling likes this.
  14. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

ripped / dipped and shipped !

15. 40grit

40grit

This is not the roughest but it is definitely rough enough to be a challenge. I am getting a start.

John

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

before. destroyed floors, hit on all 4 corners.
    [​IMG]

-during-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A very long while ago:
    [​IMG]

A long while ago:
    [​IMG]
    I am hoping to get on top of my medical bills, and health conditions, and get back to it, in the next few years.

18. This is the ruffest car I ever had here. Was a bush buggy body when rescued from the scrap heap. Couldnt find a Willys but was given this shell. Ruf is an understatment but it is actually coming long pretty good. Chassis will be finished tuesday and should be under it by the weekend. /6 power. "das auto" D/G
    Don

Attached Files:

• ruf.jpg
      ruf.jpg
      File size:
      104 KB
      Views:
    chessterd5 likes this.
  19. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

I've seen a lot more challenging projects on here but this is the worst I've had to deal with and it certainly put my skill level to the test.
    Rebuilt the inner rockers, wheel houses, outer floor braces, inner quarters and hung new quarter skins on my buddy's 56 Vicky. Some pieces were found aftermarket, but most of the inner structure had to be hand formed.

Attached Files:

20. Jen......

Jen......

Purchased over a year ago , have been to busy with trying to fix the house. Its a someday project that can only hope to finish

Attached Files:

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

This is the one I tell everyone about. What a project, which should normally have been scrapped. But you guys did your thing and it is now a great car. Just proves you can polish a turd. Great work guys.

22. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Yeah, brought it home in the back of a truck 40 willys coupe. Wife NOT happy. Still got the car and its happy. Dave [​IMG]

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can someone link to the thread where the 33/34 which was really messed up was rescued. Saw it yesterday and cant find it. Thread started several years ago. Thanks.

24. aarestor

aarestor

This one I revived a few years back for a buddy of mine. He likes to challenge my abilities.

Attached Files:

25. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

Great save! Car looks great!

26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

These are all great.. Any more rough starts out there???

27. oldskoolsalt

oldskoolsalt

55 2 dr sedan. Not the worst I've seen but quite challenging for a first build in my 2 car garage.

Greg

Attached Files:

28. oldskoolsalt

oldskoolsalt

Now in epoxy primer.

Greg

Attached Files:

29. rollie

rollie

at one time I remember counting and the body and doors I had in 27 pieces...

Attached Files: