Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new toy 56 merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryguy442, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey guys just ended up getting a good deal on a 56 merc. I traded a 69 Torino fast back for it. I had no use for the Torino so I see the merc as a free car. The merc isn't in real bad shape. Body is alittle rough but the old 312 runs really well. Plans are to lower is put in a new gas tank and fix the carb leak. I done know much about the teapot carbs might need some advise on that. I plan on lowering it 4 inches about know what kinda shocks I can run on the cheap? Thanks
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372519144.331322.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372519161.237664.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372519182.154295.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. carbking

carbking

That carb should be a list R-1161. Very first carb I ever rebuilt at age 15 was a Holley haystack R-1161. After rebuilding, put 200,000 trouble-free miles on the engine (but sure glad gasoline was 16 cents a gallon, my 292 got about 12 MPG).

Contrary to what you may read here, if a 15 year old can do one, and have no issues for 200K miles, the haystack (teapot) can't be all bad. But if you decide to believe the minions of doom concerning the haystack, a Carter WCFB 2361s is a bolt on swap.

Suggestions:

(A) Use the original air cleaner and AIR CLEANER STUD AND WASHER!!! Failure to do so may lead to leaks and poor idle.
    (B) Check the secondary vent holes in the air horn once every three or four weeks to make sure they are open.

Jon.

3. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks carb king!! I plan on rebuilding the teapot because I think it's cool and the car run so good with it. I do have the stock aircleaner and all that.

So got about 3 hours work in the merc today. It went surprisingly well, I lowered the front and rear. The rear was 4 inch blocks. It all came apart very well. On the front after removing the springs I got to thinking about some lowering s10 springs that been rolling around in my trunk for a few months. Just for the hell of it I tried them. Must be dumb luck because they worked perfectly. I never get that lucky. It sitting alittle high in the front but I figure it'll settle. I did find some rust in the frame where the lower a arms mount. So ill need to fix that tomorrow. Anyway enjoy the pics guys let me know what you think. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372544173.637377.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372544188.402892.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372544197.603905.jpg

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats - Cool ride

5. [​IMG]

Congrats! Very cool, looks sweet the way it sits in this photo.

6. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks guys! Yeah think I'm going to leave the ride height as it is. I'm sure the heavy bumper will bring it down. Hopefully everything will go as smooth as it did today as it did tomorrow.

7. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Worked on the merc all day today, fixed the rot on the crossmember that took most of the day. not the prettiest metalwork iv done but its solid. Found out the brake hoses need to be replaced so ordered those. Also half assed bolted the bumper on. It's starting to look good. What ya guys think?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372634043.303526.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372634054.815572.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372634063.865819.jpg

8. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

I like it! Better ugly and safe, then pretty and dangerous. I think it's going to be a cool cruiser. You don't see many of them.

9. dang....don't see many of those Merc 2 drs....looking good !

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Love the face on your Merc!! Just a bit on the mean side - very cool. Nice job dropping it too. Any ideas on a color yet or just running it as she looks?

11. 1956Ford

1956Ford

Good looking car.

12. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I live in Mebane, NC and had a VW chassis sandblasted last week at a shop that looks just like the one where you Merc is sitting.
    Coincidence or is it the same shop ?
    You are going to love the Merc , I own a 56 as well. Not many around.

Pete

13. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Haha it funny you said that. I sent a picture to my girl friend and said it had a grumpy face. Told her I was going to call it "Grumpy Car".

For now my plan for paint is run it as is. Ill mess the the cosmetics while I'm driving it.

14. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey Pete, nope no coincidence. I'm the metal man at the shop (the tall guy),Love my job my boss lets me use the shop whenever I want. I remember your vw frame.

Ryan

15. Nice project. Dont see the sedans very often. Atleast not here.

16. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Small world, I'm about 6 miles from you. I have shop manuals some parts and a car you can look at for refference if you need anything .
    I also have a spare tea pot carb if you want to take it apart before tackling yours .
    Pete

17. Torchie

Torchie

I love the 56 Mercs.
    Here is a pic of one I had.
    Montclair 2dr hardtop.312 with a mallory dual point dist and after market 4 barrel.
    Black pleated interior including the dash pad.
    Drove it all through HS and for a few years after.

Attached Files:

18. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks Pete, ill have to take you up on all that. I have to rewire the whole front of the car. Head lights, turn signals, ect. Might need to look at yours.

I got my brake lines today but havnt installed them yet. Might get some shocks and put them on this week. When the hell did sway bar end link got up to $50???

19. Nice car. Love the mid 50s Ford products. Lot's of easy upgrades on them.
    You might want to check out the 52-59 Ford Group which also includes Mercs & Lincolns. Lots of knowledge about our cars there.

20. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Happy 4th everybody!! Got just alittle done on the merc today. The float bowls were stuck and it was pouring gas out of the top of the motor. So got those freed up. Also replaced the brake hoses in the front. Still has a leak in the rear somewhere, ill have to crawl under there and check it out.

21. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372983508.305049.jpg

22. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Well guys I got to buy some shocks soon. What do you guys think? Im thinking maybe fiero? I just need something alittle shorter since it been lowered. Iv used fiero ones on a few c10s....might work.

23. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Stayed late after work today to work on the merc. Got my gas tank in the mail yesterday. Got it installed today. I wasnt happy with the stock way the tank mounted. and i only had one of the L shaped bolts. so drilled a few hole and make some bolts out of threaded rod, now im happy knowing it wont go anywhere. i do need to eventually need to get a new sending unit. But that's the least of my worries right now. Thanks for reading guys ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373682913.951998.jpg

24. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Been busting my ass on the merc the last few days. I got the carb rebuilt, I got half way do and realized I needed a new float bowl. Luckly Peter sold me his carb for parts. It's running we'll now... Has a high idle that I'm not sure how to get it under control. Ill figure it out. I also got it pulling fuel from that gas tank now, not a Gatorade bottle. I figured out my brake leak, had to make new lines for the rearend. I got a new rear brake hose but it won't screw into the old line I might have to cut and flare the line to get a new fitting on there. Anyways it's coming along well I'm getting excited about driving it. I'm goin to keep working on it every chance I get and hopefully it all works out well. Thanks guys

25. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Keep at it Ryan ...

26. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Got my brakes fixed this weekend and fixed a major oil leak I had. I wanted to do some wiring but there is two junction boxes, one on the drivers inner fender and one on the front. Ill have to replace those. I thought about just bypassing them but I'm sure they are there for a reason. So hopefully I can get those in soon and find a wiring diagram. While I'm waiting on that ill try to get some shocks

27. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Those junction blocks supply the power to all of the lights in the front of the car.
    In some of them a single wire that comes in from the firewall can feed two wires on the other side of the block.
    Don't lose them and make a sketch before you pull them apart for reference .

Pete

28. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Unfortunately I can't tell where some of the wires went on mine anymore, might have to get you to drive yours out to match it up.

29. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Ok guys here's what I did today. I decided to use s10 shocks in the front seeing how they are alittle shorter. Of course they don't mount the same way one the bottom so here's how I made them work.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374968059.794474.jpg
    I made two taps that fit into the indention that the old shock was mounted. I welded to nuts one the back of those.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374968267.571460.jpg
    From there all I had to do is clearance a place in the lower control arm for the nuts. Then welded the taps to the bottom side or the control arm. Pretty easy
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374968415.472548.jpg
    Should ride good up front now.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the rear shocks. I think I can modify the same s10 shocks to work on the rear!

Ryan

30. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Got the rear shocks in today, they where pretty simple. I use s10 front shocks just cut off the flat mounting brackets and opened the hole in the bushings and they fit perfectly after that.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375054053.309394.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375054063.557026.jpg