Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC / 283 in a shoebox ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butch54, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Butch54

Butch54
    from tree house

hey all....

I picked up a shoebox ford with a bad motor (flathead).. I am thinking of dropping in a 283 or 327 sbc and know I will convert to 12V. Can someone give me advice or possible detours i may encounter with this engine choice.. I know this is probably a common thing with classic ford's and sbc motors... I believe I will need after market motor mounts, and will i need a special oil pan to fit and will the exhaust manifolds fit around the steering box? will my stock shoebox ford 3 speed tranny work with the motor? appreciate any help here "before" I get the motor I want to map out what is needed to help save a few headaches... Not my first hotrod, but first with this configuration..

2. 68vette

68vette

Check with Honest Charley's in Chatanooga TN...that would be a good start...should be able to get you a bell housing and other parts I am thinking.

3. gwayne

gwayne

oil pan from a nova i believe.

4. Tank

Tank

Ill be honest with you. I wouldnt run the stock 3 speed behind a sbc. I suppose it could hold together but its a heavier car and with the torque of a small block compared to a straight 6 or a flathead.... hmmmm

5. Buz

Buz

I put a 327 and a turbo 350 in my 50. I found a dropped center link for the steering because the Nova oil pans are very pricey. I had to cut the drivers side exhaust manifold and rotate the flange and angle it toward the block a little. I had a friend weld the cast iron, still good after 10 yrs. The trans cross member just needs a notch for the mount. The trans tunnel needed to be enlarged also. I think you can still get the mount kit from Butch's Rod shop( not sure of the name).

6. daddio211

daddio211

First, join this group: http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=127

Then read this thread in its entirety: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296506

Read it, memorize it, love it.

SBC swaps in shoeboxes is common, but most guys agree the exhaust manifolds are the most difficult part of the install. Don't quote me on this, but I think the ones that work best are the late 80's Camaro cast iron units. They come UP a few inches, then drop down at the back of the engine.

Check out the thread in the group listed above called something like "Post shoebox build threads here".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gwayne

gwayne

I would recommend that link provided by daddio211.. personally I would use a saginaw man trans over a TH-350 TRANSMISSION. I saw a couple of the Nova oil pans on e-bay.. also jamco sells the engine/trans conversion kits, a little spendy but worth it..

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/132

8. daddio211

daddio211

Don't buy ANYTHING from Jamco! You'll pay for it but you'll never receive it!

9. gwayne

gwayne

That sucks... you must have personal experience hey....:(

10. tedster

tedster

Do a search, it is well known Jamco has problems. Don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

11. lorodz

lorodz

I used butchs cool stuff mpumts in my sbf I to my shoebox fit like a glove...made in the u.s.a. and it really nice parts give em a call the are h.a.m.b vendors you even get a discount.good luck
    Oh and they will answer any questions you have

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. lorodz

lorodz

I ised the butchs cool stuff in my shoe box witha sbf from a foxbodie mustang witha t-5, the mustang radiator, tubular shorty headers, the mount make ot pissible to remove the oil filter, and the steering fits almost perfect between the trans and oil pan ..hope this helps..

14. lorodz

lorodz

1 more thing if you buy their parts, they ship them fast, and you will receive your actual order, un like a company I won't mention their name... the guys at butchs are preety stand up guys. And again american made.

15. gwayne

gwayne

hey tedster, KMA...Who asked your 2 cents? No one, go back in your hole..:rolleyes:

my buddy ordered a set of shocks a while back, they arrived....just an fyi..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  16. Butch54

Butch54
    from tree house

thx for everyone's 2 cents... a comment was not helpful, just a dude spitting neg shit, you know who you are, must have had his old lady kick his ass today lmao

looking at chris for the parts I need....

17. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Do you need the information for Chris. He will open on July 1

18. daddio211

daddio211

You're both new here, and I don't know how you misread Tedster's comment as anything but helpful, but he was just that. He's built an INCREDIBLE shoebox and is a wealth of shoebox info which he freely imparts. He did nothing wrong, just helping you know that Jamco has some SERIOUS issues. Yes, do a search here. Won't take you long to read hundreds of accounts.

19. daddio211

daddio211