Register now to get rid of these ads!

South Florida Street rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bangkok Dean, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Are there any former members of the South Florida Street Rods here?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I do remember the good old days on Patpong Street though.

4. I remember them well, although not a member. Being from Orlando, I was in the Early Irons and they always came up for our Easter rod run at Loch Haven Park. NICE cars that went all over Florida. Good days, then.

5. Hotrod a i was an early irons too what years i rember the runs at loch haven

6. I moved to TN in '84, so it was the mid 70's until then. Somewhere I have the t-shirt and pics from the 2nd Easter run.

Some names I remember are Butch Adams, Pat Haley, Red Stauffer, Archie Laird, Barry Beale, Max Brogdon, Cliff Simmons, Jim Debes, Vince Giamondo, Ron Moss, Mike Ambrosio, Lenny Toussaint and his older brother Raymond.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. Buckster

Buckster

I attended the Early Iron's Easter Rod Run several years while I was a member of the Jacksonville Rod Runners. I left Florida in the mid 70's for a better job in Tulsa, OK.
    It was a good show with street rods coming from Georgia and the Carolinas.

8. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

BTW the picture posted above was taken at the Loch Haven park Orlando rod run.Along with this one.[​IMG]

This picture was taken at Loch Haven park Orlando rod run the previous year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

Yes I was a member of South Florida Street Rods. I'm not on here all of the time but a friend saw this and told me about it last night. I was not one of the founding members but I was in from 1974 until almost the end around 22 or 23 years.In the first picture I can't recall who owned the cars but sitting on the running board on the 40 was Jean Sprake (L) and Ellen Turman (R). During those years I had an Anglia that was beige with Brown fenders until 1990 and updated and painted Turquoise after that. In 78 a got a red 33 Willys coupe that I had for a few years. Are there any Street Rods in Bangkok? What is your last name and what took you to Bangkok?

10. Red and max are still in orlando red is building a new five window and an ardun seen max about a month ago

11. In the 2nd pic, the 29 highboy roadster looks like the car that lead me to build mine, after I got to drive it. If my memory is right, the owner was Jim Goeff, it had a SBF for power and a tag on the spreader bar that said "Rainmaker", which it was. The Chevy pickup looks like one that was owned by Red Stauffer. I drove it to Gatlinburg one year, and it lost an axle bearing in the 57 Chevy rear up in the boonies of North Georgia. One was found in a nearby junk yard, and we were back on the road. Jim Debes went after it in his 409 powered T- bucket.

I see Max, Lenny, and Max's brother Tim every year at Louisville, in the swapmeet. Still good friends after all these years.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  12. Yeah red and all them just got back from lars

13. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

The first president of the club was Jon Tedesco, I was the second president with Jerry Red vice pres. Ed and Ellen Turman now live in Georgia. The 39 ford I bought from Ed not to long after the above picture was taken the T-bucket was mine. In the second picture that the passenger in Bill Stuwet, he had a track T.

This is the 39 after I repainted it and put a 327 in it.

[​IMG]

This is the club display at the first annual World of wheels in Miami beach convention center, when I was president.
    [​IMG]

Jon now lives in Vegas and Jerry and Harriet Reed are living back in FL, as far as I know.

I moved to Cincy in 76 and joined the Cincy street rods for a couple of years but became too busy to be an active member and left the club. In 80 I moved to CA and joined the Hard Times and then in 86 moved to Thailand to start my own company, that I sold 5 years ago. For 20 years I was into Harley's and rode all over the country. In 2004 I traded my Captain America pan head for a 81 Corvette that I restored and modified.
    [​IMG]
    Then two years ago I sold my last Harley and bought a 56 Chevy pickup in CA, shipped it over here and have been working on it till today. I hope to have it completed soon. There are a couple of street rods here but they are seldom driven. I drive the vette on weekend when its not raining which is every day during rainy season.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

I have to know you but I can't remember your last name. I headed security for the First World of Wheels. I'm still friends with George Lemieux, Mike Cunningham,Bill Wynne and Jim Ursini who were all origional members and we still all have cars and hang together.
    Bill Carroll

15. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Like I said I was the president for the first couple of years of the show and the two cars in the club booth were mine.
    My name is Dean Giliard and I was wondering where the old gang had ended up. I realize the club is no more but I do miss the times we had. I understand Richard Feakens is no longer with us, wondering if you know what happened to Tom Chess?I have spoken to Ed Turman and he told me George Lemieux was still down there, Plus Bill Wynne. Do say hello to them for me.

In those days I lived in Cooper City near club member Tony Ricardo.

Below is a picture of Me and Tom Chess giving out awards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  16. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

Tom Chess lives up in the Mt.Dora area.Tony Recardo passed a couple years ago and Ellen lives in Tenn.where they moved before he died. If you would like any info on anybody just ask and if I don't know I can probably find out.
    Bill Carroll

17. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

dean, im not from the south florida gang but from your next club in cincy. good to see youre still around and messin with something. bob oney

18. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Well I guess you remember me now?I am trying to remember your car, the only Anglia I remember is the purple one that the owner worked at Crane cams. I believe he lived in Miramar.
    That's unfortunate that Tony is no longer with us, I still remember driving my 39 with him and Ellen in there 36 up to Gatlinburg TN, stopping in Orlando to attend Butch Adams wedding. If you could send me an email with Toms details I would like to make contact. Also the last I knew Jerry Reed is back in FL some where, do you know where?

Hay Bob great to hear from you, I do read about the Cincy rod run and am happy to see the club is alive and well.
    I wonder how many of the old gang are still around?

19. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

Yes the other Anglia was Bob Urban's. Yes I will get Tom's Email from Joe Garrison. Send me yours or put it on here and I will send you mine and possibly any others that you may want. Do you do Facebook? That is good as you can see pictures that way on members timeline.
    Bill

20. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

Thanks and say hello to Joe for me. I just sent my email by PM twice sorry. Sorry I don't use face book.
    Cheers, Dean

21. jldebes

jldebes

22. jldebes

jldebes

Hey Bill, 409 Jim here, lets see if we can get some response from any old Early Irons members!

23. WOW!! Is that you? Instant flashback to Unique Antiques, and your T with that bad ass 409 and the funny looking leaf laminated on the bed. Also the bright yellow A coupe. Hope that you are doing well, after 30 years.
    Just spent time with Cliff Simmons in Louisville. Saw Red on American Pickers a couple weeks ago.

24. jldebes

jldebes

Its me! still kick'n, building a radical 34 chevy coupe. can't slow down. the yellow coupe is in Lost Hot Rods book by Pat Ganahl. "T" is lost, E [email protected]