Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring a Cooling Components Fan in a already wired car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbrown, Jun 27, 2013.

1. gbrown

gbrown

Ok. I'll try to make this as clear as possible. I am replacing my current electric fan setup on my 1932 ford roadster with a Cooling Components 1730 fan with shroud. My car is already wired/upholstered and currently is running haywire wiring kit with a 40amp relay built into the harrness to power the current fan.

I know that the Cooling Components fans requires a 70amp relay and heavier gauge wiring. I have purchased a 70 amp relay kit from American Autowire. Now since the car is already completely wired and has upholstery finished I am wondering if I can wire this fan in another way to avoid taking out some of the insulation and upholstery on the firewall.

I have created an image below that shows the American Autowire instructions on top and how I am planning on wiring this up. At this point I would really have 2 relays a 40amp that is already in the harness. Basically this would control the electric fan sender and hot wire coming out of the harness basically this would switch the pink wire on and off. I would have a constant ground to the main black wire. All that would then be running into the 70amp relay would be the main power coming from the battery cable side of the solenoid on the starter, pink wire coming from the harness, black ground wire and power supplied to the fan.

Seems like all i am really doing is changing the switching system from the ground turning the fan on and off to the pink wire doing the switching on and off.

Will this work ok? Thanks for all the advice in advance.

Also I bought the fan and relay from Honest Charley since they are a HAMB alliance vendor. They were great to work with and had super fast shipping.

[​IMG]

2. ryno

ryno

if im understanding you correctly, your using your keyed power from your 40 amp heywire kit as your keyed source for the 70 amp kit?

from your diagram i see hot pink wire from existing harness, if this is hot all the time the fans will run when needed, regardless of key source, if i read it right.

you may want to call haywire, hes a good dude with a wealth of knowledge, there may be an easier keyed source you can grab somewhere and wire in your other kit.

3. gbrown

gbrown

Kind of yes. So I would be taking the original hot wire that powered the original "old" electric fan and connecting that to the pink wire. That wire is then the wire that is switched on and off by the 40 amp relay that uses the electric sending unit in the engine. At this point instead of having a constant hot keyed wire and the ground turning the system on and off. The keyed hot wire would turn be switching the relay on and off with a constant ground. Does that help?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. So your basically using the old relay output circuit to control the 70 amp relay control circuit with the relay being mounted near the new fan. That should work. It looks like you want to use only one speed on the new fan.

5. gbrown

gbrown

Correct. Yeah the plan is to mount the relay near the fan. Also that is correct on using only the high speed of the fan.

6. Well you should be good to go.The only thing left is to start chippin and crimpin :cool:

7. chevyburb

chevyburb

I have that same fan/shroud setup in FAYE with a 2 wire fan & 20 amp relay. On the way to Bonneville 2 years ago the fan stopped working half way across Nevada. Turns out the relay socket MELTED!!. We rigged a manual switch as a temporary fix and when I got back I called Cooling Components. They told me if I had a 2 wire fan, I needed a 40 amp relay, a 3 wire fan requires a 70 amp. Sounds like your on the right track.

8. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks! I can't wait to get this thing on the roadster.

That's no good on the melting down halfway across Nevada. Glad you were able to get a temporary fixed to get you back on the road. How do you feel the fan performs?