Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find like no other

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Citizen caine, Jun 26, 2013.

1. You mean a " dirt find"! The old home owner would still be talking when I was out clawing at the earth with my own two hands, and telling the dog there were dinasour bones and the wife and kids there was buried treasure.

2. .., ah crap, just go to the Walmart and buy a cheap metal detector, but I'd go by the dudes house with 426 hemis under his deck and get an engine for it before I head home!

3. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I heard there might be a Henway buried in Michigan.
    Maybe that's it.
    BTW...what's a Henway? :>)

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandfather or so he told me 50 years ago when I got him to go to the farm next door to help haul a 27 T roadster body back that I had found in the field there and talked the farmer out of. He never did tell me where he buried it though.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"You didn't need to buy that car, there is a model T buried in front of the barn."

What? Not a single "Well..." or "Yup..."??? :D

6. Throwing your old jalopy in a hole on your land, was a worldwide thing, and still is in some places. I know where lots of old cars are, but its not my land. I couldnt get on here to talk about it, if it was my land. Id be to busy digging up the backyard. I belive there is a Model T where you say, so what are you waiting for? Dont forget to post pics!

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Heard a story about a 57 Corvette in back of a barn covered with old wood and trash. The new property owner was not into cars and didn't find it for years. Don't know what happened to it. Don't know how true the story is. I know for one if I bought an old farm I would look in every corner for unusual finds. And I would not wait years to do it. When I bought my present older home I checked every corner of it.

Ago

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wonder if the owner of the T is still in it? a few years ago there was a place that had buried old vans to build mounds for a BMX race track.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  9. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

It varies, but usually about two pounds.

10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Here are pics of a 1959 Jaguar XK150S parts car that my dad buried around 1963. Erosion brought it back to the surface some time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hot rod rich

hot rod rich
    from NorCal

To dig or not to dig..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Its probably only a 32 three window no reason to rush with the shovel!

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My family had 60 acres in Michigan that used to be a farm and I always wondered if anything interesting was buried on the property,grampa had the forestry department plant pine trees over the whole property when I was very little so it would have been hard to get anything out. Wish I had rented a metal detector before we sold it.

14. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Watch it be a Tootsietoy.

15. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

In 1978 one of our neighbours buried a 1916 C Cab Mack Truck in a hole he needed filled.
    The only reason I knew what it was, was the shape of the motor with all of the cooling fins on the sump.... And that give away - chain drive rear with those solid wheels.
    I had a very detailed model kit of that truck when I was a kid.

I've often wondered what it'd be like today if we dug it out.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bought the contrents of an old collapsed chicken coop about 8 years ago, and dig down 3 feet to be sure I got everything. Glad I did 1912-14 Harley Davidson engine parts, Alexander Over Head Valve head for a Model A-B Ford , plus the 1932-34 Ford stuff. I'd start digging if I was you. Bob

17. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

:DIf anybody ever wants a pool dug out, just tell someone on the HAMB there is a '32 Five window buried in their back yard.

18. henry29

henry29

I dug up a 36 ford in my back yard several years ago, I still have it on the shelf with some of my other hot wheels.

19. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

'Below the Barn Find'.... come on.

20. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'll bet it's in cherry shape after being buried by a dozer.

When I was a kid there was a 36 Chevy sticking out of the ground on what is our land. At the time it was on the other side of the fence since the fence made a jog into our land for ease of fencing the ravine. I remember the front being in pretty good shape for sticking out of the ground. Another guy bought the neighbor's farm a few years ago he dozed all the buildings and got rid of all the old machinery sitting around. Then he wanted us to put in a new fence, the new fence goes straight so now where the Chevy was is on our side of the fence but the Chevy is gone so I'll bet whatever was left of it went to the crusher.

There was parts of what I thought was an A when I was a kid sticking out of that same ravine about 1/4 of a mile further up into our land. Someday I should go check around out there with a metal detector but I never have a whole lot of time anymore to do much and if I do happen to have a little time there are about a billion other things to do.

21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

My grandpa had a bunch of those chain drive Macks sitting out in the grove along with a bunch of other trucks he wore out before WWII. I guess it all went for the war scrap drive. :(:eek: The only truck grandpa left us was his last one that he used a 1936 Dodge.

22. metal man

metal man

Thirteen years ago, I went down to the Richard Petty's shop for a job interview. The fella that gave me a tour told me that in the 50's,60's, and 70's they buried their outdated race cars out back under where a parking area is now:eek:. He showed me where they are....still there.

23. I know where a59 ford and a 58 impala are buried I was told I can have the impala if I want it the guy still has the title he buried it in 73 just to have something to do literally he drove it to where it is and commenced to bury it all you can see of it is the top 4 inches or so of the roof

24. henry29

henry29

Some of them were dug up when they built a new shop, the barracuda drag car is still buried.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

26. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

He couldn't busy himself with some other activity?

27. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

When I was a kid, in the 60s and early 70s, my grandfather drove a 49 Buick, I don't know the model but I think it was a Special. To make a long story short, it had a problem with the wiring always shutting the car off when they were out in it. He got mad at it one day and drove it into a gully on their farm and left it there to rot. I tried for years to get him to let me have it, but wouldnt. Later when they had a pond dug, the dirt from the pond filled the gully and whatever is left of the car is still where it stopped that day. SomewhereI have a picture of my granny in the car when they first got it.

28. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

There is something to be said about oxidation. Low amounts of O2 can be pretty forgiving. Take for example all the old growth wood being harvested today that have sat in open water for hundreds of years. Great Lakes as an example. Perfectly preserved. If that soil is heavy clay, you might have something there. Can't wait to see what you can find.

29. codeblu

codeblu

An older fellow I know in NC has several acres of land, on which is a huge pile of rubble. The rubble is the original 2 story house built on the property. The night the house burnt down, a relative had stopped by in his brand new 1928 Whippet, the house as it burned fell forward covering the car. He's never bothered to even look through the rubble.

30. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Same here. My house is 125+ years old. I've been over every frigging inch, and under every floorboard. (Nothin').