Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody put a claim in with Haggerty?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Jun 26, 2013.

1. worthop

worthop

I was thinking about going with Haggerty for Insurance on my car.....but then I was talking to a friend that is dealing with them right now. He got into an accident with his '50 truck, which he has $5,000 insurance on, and they are saying they only pat up to 60% of that....does that sound right?

2. I had four vehicles either totalled or heavily damaged in a 2003 tornado. Hagerty (one "g") paid me what they were supposed to, no problems whatsoever.

Did your buddy drive his truck to work??? If they are offering 60% of the $5K value, that may be why. We are not getting the whole story here.

3. Right as in fair or right as in what will probably happen.
    Here is the deal with any insurance company it is your job to make them pay and their job to get out of paying you.
    They have their share holders to think about and they don't make money for them by paying you.

As for haggerty I have heard good things about them from nearly all on this board. Hotrodladycruiser would be the one to ask she knows a lot about insurance and I believe that she has had dealings with haggerty.

here is also the issue of who gets to own the truck afterward. When an insurance company cashes you out on a total they own the vehicl you can buy it back from them. My experience is that they want about 30% of the value, but on a classic it may be more.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  4. I remember Deuce Roadster had dealings with Grundy after his roadster caught fire and he was well satisfied with the settlement. HRP

[​IMG]

5. I have Hagerty and have had to put in a claim before- was very satisfied. Very professional - very fast.

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yup. And they took good care of me. Even let me fix it myself.

7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Maybe he got caught in the problem I did with them. Was told unless I was driving it to a car show or some other car related event, there was limited or no coverage of theft or damage.

IE, drove the car to the grocery store and lowe's, but not incident to going to a car show, so they told me, no coverage in such a case. So, 95% of the time, based on that, my car had no coverage. Most of the time, I am driving the cars, because I like to drive them, not go to a car show.

So I am now with a different carrier that only limits coverage if I try and use the car as a daily driver to work etc.

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Agreed...

P.S. Great idea :D
    "Screw with your neighbors...name your Wi-Fi network "FBI Surveillance Van #6"..."

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

Who are you with now? I pleasure drive my car and don't like not being covered while doing so!

10. According to their website;
    Usage
    Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis — e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.

So that should Not be a problem

11. I have Haggerty and I have had some claims with them very fast and easy even when it was totally my fault sent the check fast and the repairs where made.

12. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Neighbor backed into me at Cruise In last summer...both of us have Hagerty...happened on Sat night...he filed online Sunday...adjuster came Tues and wrote it up...had check in about 2 weeks..........WELL PLEASED.........and I still have coverage with them.

13. Dizzie

Dizzie

Same here. Very satisfied with Hagerty

14. worthop

worthop

now, they are telling him, they will pay up to the $5,00 it's insured for, but they want the truck....!!!!????

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Friend hit a deer in his 37 conv on our trip to South Dakota last summer. Had Hagerty and they had him a check within two weeks. If you ask me, [I have Grundy] they could not have done it any better. They never asked him why he was in SD and not OKla.

16. Of course they want the truck that is how insurance works! You think they are going to pay full value for a vehicle and then let you keep the vehicle as well??:rolleyes:

17. That is perfectly normal - If they total it (which in this case means pay out the total amount it is insured for) the vehicle becomes property of the insurance company. That's how insurance works. If he underinsured it to keep his premium down, that was rather foolsih

18. roddinron

roddinron

Makes sense now, after 60% they probably consider it totaled, so if he wants the full value, then he has to buy it back. That's how insurance works, and some companies don't want to sell it back to you because of the liability of selling you a totaled car. Why would he only have it insured for $5k in the first place, that's not even a paint job these days.

19. metalman

metalman

Now it makes since. If he had it insured for $5000 and they determined it's a total loss (total loss means repair cost exceed 60 to 75 % of the value, not how bad it's hurt) those numbers are probably right. 60% if he keeps it, 100% if they take the truck, reason being they assume they will get 40% (2000.00) selling it as salvage. That's how it works.
    If he feels $5000 isn't enough to take the truck he had it under insured. He picked the $5000 value, not them.

20. Aren't we always driving our classics, daily drivers, whatever it may be at some point some where throughout the day to an automotive related place or event?
    I drive to the gas station/convenience store at least 2 times a day to get a drink. Sometimes while there I get gas and oil too. That is all automotive related. I feel your policy for insurance is up for interpretation unless otherwise stated. It may not be the most bullet proof defense, but no one is gonna tell me when and where I can drive my vehicle.

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

I guess I don't get the limited coverage that is dependent on where you were going. How can they tell you that you're insured for up to 5,000 or 6,000 miles per year and then expect that those miles will only be to and from a car related event? I understand it not being a permanent daily driver, but what if you need it for a few days because your daily is down? Do the policies say "you can go here but not there"? Anyone?...

22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

From my experience, a classic car insurance company will pay up to about 72% of the value of a vehicle to repair it or take it and pay for a total loss, that's why it's so important to value your cars correctly. Hagerty was very fair with us.

23. Torchie

Torchie

Just passed the Hagerty Insurance building today while in Traverse City. They didn't build that sucker by being stupid. Having said that I have a friend who was hit while driving his stock Model T. They paid up, no problem.
    Hagerty goes with an "agreed value" structure. And the fact that they do not insure classics that are"Daily drivers". Plus it used to be that their big selling point was allowing the owner to set the value with out an appraisal. Don't know if they still do that or not.
    Sounds like it may have been under valued.

24. oldolds

oldolds

Sounds to me like the guy undervalued the truck for a cheaper rate. Most ins. co. will do something like this. You pay for $5000 worth of coverage on a vehicle. It gets smashed the adjuster comes out and looks at the vehicle and sees that it is really a $10,000 vehicle. They will want to pay half of the repair because you were only paying half of the value. An Ins. co. is in the business to make money for themselves, not help you.

25. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I have a friend who operates a restoration shop. A customer picked up his gorgeous
    restored '59 vette after a year long resto and gets t-boned on the way home.

Hagerty covered the repairs completely with no hassles. I sure hope they pay up like they should, that's who insures my '32 Mordor.

26. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I hear you, just relaying what I was told by the folks at Hagerty. I ended up changing to a company called Heacock Classic Insurance, they didn't seem to limit usage on the policy as much. Both when I talked with them, and read the policy.

Interesting thing when I looked at the policy, since it renews next month, the agreed value coverage actually says it's the agreed value plus 2% that they will pay on a total.

Can't say anything about the service, since I have been claim free on the old cars for some time now.

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have Hagerty and have had the unfortunate situation of having 2 claims in two years on two different vehicles. They are very fast sending out adjusters and getting payment to me. Never was asked where I was going or why i was going there. Just gave them the information of how the vehicles were damaged and both vehicles are as good as new!

28. painterdude1

painterdude1
    from michigan

I have repaired several cars over the years with Hagerty.I always got what was needed and at shop rate . Now with regular ins. with there "classic car ins."it sucks for the shop and there rates.

29. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I have a customer who made the mistake of underinsuring. $15k car, insured for $10k, he turned in a claim for $7.5k and had to buy it back. It really doesn't cost that much more to insure for a larger amount through Hagerty.

My only qualm with them is they were using the absolute worst independent adjusting company in the whole world, National Appraisers out of PA, as I recall. I told Hagerty twice that they needed to change. Hopefully they have.

30. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have Hagerty on three cars and had a claim several years ago and sent pictures, an estimate from a shop and told them I was going to do the repairs myself. I received a check for the amount of the estimate I sent them.