Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer quesiton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, Jun 26, 2013.

1. shocker998md

shocker998md

Hey guys
    I'm looking for some input on this. I'm looking at getting an enclosed trailer to keep a car and my tool boxes in here soon. I plan on using it as storage and occasionally moving it but not looking at towing it every day. It comes with a 5 year warranty and I figure buy cheap, sell it cheap at the end of the warranty and I would take less of a loss then buying a name brand trailer.They say it's all made in GA and so far it looks decent. I know you get what you pay for, but in this case to keep a car inside due to me not being able to build a garage I'm thinking this would be a good route to go.
    I'd like 8.5x30 and would prefer non v nose if I can find it so I can put my boxes right up against the wall. Thanks guys

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

The good thing: No crappy OSB!

4. If your not moving it much put it up on blocks to save the tires.

if all you are using it for is storage then cheap will due, but you may also look into a shipping container, they go cheap as a rule.

5. finn

finn

I bought one of those "Georgia Death Traps" to move with and eventually store a car in. Mine was used (3 months old) but I see them on the internet (xbay) under several names.

The trailer seems functional, but I hope you never need customer service. The phone rolls over to an answering machine and you will never get a call back. The web page customer service link is non-functional. You are on your own after they get your money.

Check out the BBB and customer reviews before you drop coin.

I'd rather pay an additional grand or more for a name brand trailer if I were to do it again.

(Mine is a different brand but there are several related companied in northern Georgia)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I was buying, I'd look for used on Craigslist. The prices of trailers really drops once they're used, and you can get a quality trailer for much less than a cheap new one. Later you can probably resell it for what you paid since the original owner takes the big loss.

8. Why the heck do you need a warranty .. what could go wrong? and should something go wrong then fix it yourself. Would you buy a warrenty on a head of lettuce? LOL

Buy used and save major bucks ... and like Beeno said, consider a shipping container.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more place to look and get a handle on prices is http://www.racingjunk.com/ You might even find a bargain as racers usually seem to just want to get rid of something when they upgrade to the next level and often seem to sell stuff at real friendly prices.

I'd vote for getting a quality name brand used trailer over a new so so trailer too.

10. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its a great way to go, even if you did have a garage. I own over 20 trailers, including a "top of the line" enclosed car trailer, and its not as good as this one looks. I would buy one of these trailers in a heartbeat. The V nose will tow easier and not get banged up as bad from the gravel on the roads. Two pieces of plywood in the front will make this just like you want and would give you some hidden storage space. If you take care of a few issues there is no reason it will not last for years. If possible upgrade to ez lube axles, then replace the bearings with Timken or Federal Mogul. Even though the axles are made in the USA they probably use a cheap foreign bearing that I guarantee wont hold up. While working on the bearings look at the wiring and replace the snap lock connections if they have them. Soldering and covering them with liquid tape, then shrink tubing will solve the problems forever. Check the roof out for any joints that could leak and reseal them when needed. Check the paint on the frame, keep it maintained, and it will last forever. Be sure to keep it locked with the dead bolt or better yet secure it from the inside. The paddle lock in the handle is easily opened with a prybar. When parked be sure to do something to prevent theft of the trailer and contents. I like pouring a cement anchor in the ground in the center of its parking place, then using a tempered chain and lock. Tires will last longer if you block it up level and keep them covered, or better yet take them off and put them in the v-nose. Hard to steal a trailer with no wheels.

11. shocker998md

shocker998md

Im an active duty Marine, shipping container will not work for me because I will move in three years.

I dont want to put the money into a metal building like I thought I would do because then when I move in 3 years who ever is renting my house is benifiting from my building, not me.

I figure if I buy an enclosed, then when I have to move I get paid to do my move if I do it myself. So eventually I would get a good chunk of change for the move that would help pay for the trailer.

I was thinking that deal is too good to be true and this is one of those things you get what you pay for.

12. dad-bud

dad-bud

Wow, klawockvet has given you some really good advice there
    Good luck with what you choose to do.
    Cheers.

13. metalman

metalman

My 2 cents. I bought a "brand" name (Haulmark), even ponied up the extra to get the upgraded trailer. What a POS. Completely falling apart with less the 10,000 miles, even the front wall collapsed in from 70mph pressure. I have friends with cheap no name trailers that cost thousands less the they are doing great! Oh, Haulmark customer service is no exsistant as well.

14. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I agree with not needing the warranty. Half of what you pay goes to the salesman as a commission and you'll usually never get the other half back in parts or service. A better bet would be to put whatever you plan to spend on a warranty in a separate bank account. That way, when you don't use it, you still have it. If you do need it, you won't get the run around.

15. Midget25

Midget25

I want to be the first to thank you for serving in the Marines. That being said I found my last trailer on Racing Junk it was at Lance Brannon Trailers in Alabama. Great people to do business with. I had them deliever mine to me in Colorado and am very happy with it..............

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just get some corregated metal, like the quonset huts use and go from there. Make yourself a car hut!

17. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Excellent advice!