Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 ford pickup grille on a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33highboy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

Does anyone know if a 37 ford pickup grille and shell will fit a 33 ford coupe nose and or how much modification it would take. Have seen a few lately and would like to get some info on the conversion, thanks.

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Does this answer your question?

Attached Files:

3. Bart78

Bart78

You could make anything fit. But that don't mean it needs to be done.

4. Jim "Jake" Jacobs,,of Pete & Jakes" Fame,, pulled it off back in the 70's,it still looks great to this day. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

5. rick finch

rick finch

Brizio built '34 roadster for George Poteet...

[​IMG]

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Not sure about the Brizio one for Poteet, but Jake's is narrowed, and looks awesome.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

absolutely DON'T try this if narrowing is not in the plan. if it is, cut away and enjoy the results.

9. j-dogg

j-dogg

I have one on my 31 sedan, its been narrowed and shortened. I get compliments all the time.

Attached Files:

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Furthermore, if anyone out there IS contemplating this and has a decent '37 shell, trade it for mine! It would look SUPER-BUENO narrowed up a bit through each nostril! Sorta like an Anglia grille....

11. When done correctly (like Jake did), I love the way they fit the hood and sides and tidy up the bottom between the framerails. I'm just not crazy about the horizontal grille bars. I have always thought a '37 truck shell with vertical bars would look so much better on a '33/'34. That would be a lot of work, though.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Strangely enough, Alex, I'll be putting vertical bars in my "two nostril" version of a '37 shell.

13. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Here's the rendering Eric Black did for me of the 34 I'm building. I bobbed and pinched the front frame to tuck behind the stock grill shell.

Attached Files:

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome DONUT29!

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Been going back and forth between the pictures of Jake's and Poteet's cars and I just can't figure out why Jake's looks soooooo much better! They seem to be narrowed the same amount, but is it me, or is Jakes 'shell dropped about an inch more than Poteet's car? I'm pretty sure Jakes is laid back just a hair more too. Ever seen a picture of Jack Morgan's '34 Roadster with the same nose from the '40s or so?

16. I can't wait to see it!! Your truck is going to be so freakin' cool.

How wide of a split are you planning between the two halves? I envision narrow (2"?), with a smooth transition from the top, no sharp edges, and paint it body color along with the outer shell (root beer brown, right?). What do plan to make the grill bars with?

Please don't say chrome plated rebar............tee hee hee.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Chromed twisted square bar stock!

18. I think a 37 grill is narrowed about 4". I've thought about using one on my 5W. We'll see.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jack Morgan's car from the late forties... Just awesome!

Attached Files:

20. N8B

N8B

You're just dreamy!!

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Well, the NOSTRILIZATION was done when Butch'r the pinstriper owned it (just the grille). Needs finessing, but will do for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think the vertical bar inserts will float half the distance of the tunneling. Orange bars and RUSToleum "Espresso" (pinky in full extension) brown.

23. I LIKE IT!

I like the smooth radius where the bottom and the top of the split (the columella*) meet the outer shell. Having the bars recessed and painted orange will be a nice touch.

*Columella: any of various anatomical parts likened to a column:
    a : the bony central axis of the cochlea
    b : the lower part of the nasal septum

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Jake's coupe is still a classic - hard to believe it was built 40 years ago.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Columella?! I like it! I usually just make up my own words...
    The Columella dips onto the lower outer shell just a smidge and that same reveal runs up and over to meet the hood hinge.

There's a black coupe here in town, I thought it was built at the Limeworks, but it's here now (Phx) and has a Thames grille (I think). Such a cool car!

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jake's grille was on one of the three '34 Coupes he bought when restoring the Niekamp roadster.

He liked it, but did some adjustment when fitting it to his coupe he chopped.
    Gray Baskerville was blown away when he saw Jake chopping a 'rare '34'! Gray said he was 'wary' of that grille...but only at first!

I think Jake's coupe was the envy of most. Positively excellent!