Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 66

from usa

Very Nice!!! Keep up the great work!!!

2. tfarrell

tfarrell

I think I got a boner. Dude your A100 is sick!

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have read this whole thread...If you used actual 12:1 pistons for the 392 cubes your not going to run the blower? Rear axel wheel studs being Titanium are lite but I don't think they are strong...There are much stronger bolts available, I think I've seen up to grade 12...Just say'in...Great effort.

4. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,I think that you missed, that the hemi runs on ALCOHOL and thus 12:1 pistons will work just fine.They are not bolts that hold the wheels on they are 5/8 drive studs with a 11/16 shank.The axles and studs are both from Strange Engineering and they said they will be fine.Also titanium studs are good enough for 10,000 HP fuelers they are just fine for me.
    Good Day, Chris

5. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Good evening all,some spring cleaning so I pushed the truck outside today.This is the first time the truck has been outside with the actual rear wheels and slicks because I had to make my shop doors 3 inches wider.It would not fit through with the slicks on it:(Now it does:DAlso so I can turn it around so it weathers evenlly like the USS Constitution.But more so I can work on the front end for a while,she sure does look pretty.
    Cheers Chris

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

Awesome,looking forward to this build.

7. afaulk

afaulk

One thing I personally would have to have on this unit is a glove box. That is a really good place to keep a change of underwear......Looks like a blast!

8. That thing looks great!! I cant really comment on the stance.....with the front wheels on the ground lol!!

Awesome looking truck Sir!!

Bill

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks Great Chris , I have with alot of other flim,, 8MM movies of the old wheelstanders from the 70's,, if I get around to haveing it put on DVD I'll let you know, last I checked it was pretty pricey tho,,,,, Tim Jones

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks very cool! I especially like the picture from the rear!

11. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone,it has been a while.But progress is being made.I have finally installed the front wheel houses and shock mounts which had to be cut out of another truck, stripped brackets cut off and smoothed,shock brackets taken of ,sheetmetal fixed and rewelded then fit to the truck.
    1/8 in aluminum on the floor.Made front toeboard floor same materal.(So for anybody thinking that I will be looking through the floor you would be wrong).Also have the steering brakes built and installed and have made a frame that is welded to the hole in the back of the inside of the cab to built the firewall/box that will cover the front of the motor (NHRA spec,has to be there)
    Chris

Attached Files:

• dod1.jpg
      dod1.jpg
      File size:
      492.5 KB
      Views:
    • dod4.jpg
      dod4.jpg
      File size:
      458.2 KB
      Views:
    • dod5.jpg
      dod5.jpg
      File size:
      409.2 KB
      Views:
    • dod7.jpg
      dod7.jpg
      File size:
      515.3 KB
      Views:
    volvobrynk likes this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No hole in the floor to see where you're going? That's a gutsy move! :)

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Read the whole thread, very cool concept and construction. Many only live a dream this guy is building his. Good luck, keep us posted.

Nice.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  14. Ya, but what about those front wheels, and that drilled axle...,

15. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

what about them
    c.

16. Wow this thing is looking great! Love the stance.

17. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

Funny how everyone is an expert on building a wheelstander, except this guy eh?

whiteknuckle likes this.
  18. canuck43

canuck43
    from Ontario

Chris,awesome job you are doing. Cant wait to see the finished truck. Love the drilled front axle.

19. JoeyV

JoeyV
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from San Diego

Great story! I'm learning about things had no concept of, like the hand operated independent brakes! Crazy man, I am loving it. Thanks for taking the extra effort to share this with us...really.

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Relax man ... The guys that are expressing concerns aren't being mean or knocking anyone, they're simply asking questions to help keep this guy safe. Constructive criticism (particularly when it comes to safety issues) should not be looked at as anything but beneficial for all of us ... :cool:

21. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone once again,I have a quick post this morning,but it a big checkmark off the list that I am rather proud of.It is the engine box/fire wall that closes the big hole in the back of the cab.Constructed of 5052 aluminum,0.040 thick(NHRA spec alum fire wall is .032) the front is bolted top and bottom the sides will be riveted to the truck and the front during the FINAL install after paint.All bent by hand as I do not have a brake.
    Now I can finally build and install the puke tank and I have been thinking about paneling the inside of the cab and doors in aluminum or vinyl any thoughts??????
    Chris

Attached Files:

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice looking divider, especially without a brake to bend it! Maybe go aluminum panels, and cover them with vinyl if you decide to dress the interior out.

23. The original comment was pretty snide. The guy even asked him what exactly the concern was and the poster didn't bother to answer back. No help at all. Just a smart ass comment is all it was.

24. Ease up guys just having a little fun with you. I can see you've been asked that question enough. Thought I give ya another zinger on it, and it looks like it worked.

25. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

Its always nice to see a "different" build. And this one is great !

26. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

wow thats a kool project!

27. George T G

George T G

All good things take time. He will get there his way.!

28. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again,It has been a while since I have updated on here,due to a unintended Sciatica problem that has really put the screws to me and life as of late.Even a trip to hospital:Dat the end of May.
    The past couple weeks I have been slowly starting to move forward again on the truck.Cutting out what was left of the door steps,making a plan and making it happen.I had to make a set of dies to stamp the ribs for the steps to make the new pieces.Made exact reproducton of factory stamping,replace bottoms of both wheel wheels to meet step.
    Made new floor risers out of perforated 18g steel,stamped ribs in them like factory,had to rebuild entire pass front corner door post bottom.I will be making the floors out of the same material that the risers are made of.I also sleeved the bottoms of the frame between the front rear spring shackles to the subframe mounts with 1/8 3x3 tubing.
    I hope to get some work done this weekend on the floor maybe some updates.
    Chris

Attached Files:

29. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

You gona install a rear window gun rack right? No!! great build keep it going.

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice work Chris! Been wondering what happened to this build. Glad you're feeling better!