Register now to get rid of these ads!

solenoid doing the clicking sound.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gwayne, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gwayne

gwayne

I appreciate some positive feedback, my flathead 6 , now has new solenoid, wiring harness and battery, but when I turn the key the solenoid just clicks away, also converted the wiring to 12 volt. I checked all wire connections, cleaned and tightened back up, including the starter cable Still just the click, click.. I also am able to turn the motor over by hand with ease, thinking the starter might be stuck... Any suggestions on what I may have overlooked?

2. hows your battery?

3. morepwr

morepwr
    from socal

Battery would be my first guess. Have somebody hold a volt meter to it when you crank and see if it drops way off when you get the click.

4. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Ground circuits? Clean connections at both ends of cables?

5. SLCK64

SLCK64

He said batt was new.

Check grounds. Also did the starter work before you tore all the 6v stuff out?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. oltruckag

oltruckag

Voltmeter time - measure the switched terminal on your solenoid while someone turns the key. Either the new battery needs a charge, or the solenoid isn't actually doing anything. Also, measure the resistance between the engine and the ground terminal of the battery - should be pretty low (like 0).

7. gwayne

gwayne

brand new 12 volt battery, cables and new solenoid picked up today and installed. starter worked when it was a 6 volt system.. hum....

8. A new battery isn't always a good battery, have had them with a dead cell before. Now always have them load tested before leaving with one. Do the test.

9. gwayne

gwayne

before I purchased the battery, the store ensured it was charged. at this point, I'll pull the battery and have a local auto parts run a test on it in the morning..thx..

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad starter motor: Did the starter work before the work? Can you get the starter to turn by jumping from the battery to the main lug on the starter?

Bad ground: Did you paint the mounting surface of the starter and/or where it mounts to the block or bellhousing? Do you have a ground strap from the frame to the engine block?

Past that, possibly wired incorrectly.

11. Scott F.

Scott F.

try giving that starter a 'tap' with a hammer handle while cranking. Not scientific troubleshooting but if it starts to crank I'd start to look suspiciously to the starter. Mine was working but then started acting funny and then would do as yours does. Tapping allowed it to work but it was REALLY corroded internally. Ended up replacing it and now all is well.

12. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Step 1. Get a volt meter and start tracing out the wiring.
    Step 2. Fix the problem
    Step 3. Take the car for a drive
    Step 4. Profit?

The cheap multi meters from Harbor Freight work pretty well for basic automotive troubleshooting.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sounds like your solenoid is working, but your starter motor isn't spinning. Correct? Dumb question: do you have 12volts measured at the starter motor terminal to ground? Let's start with the easy stuff.

14. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

A quick check for a ground problem...Clamp on a jumper cable from the ground terminal on the battery to the engine block/starter housing. If it cranks, then look at ground straps from engine to frame, etc.

15. SLCK64

SLCK64

Does the original 6v starter work with the12v even? Is it just the solenoid that has to be swapped?

Sorry for my ignorance, never worked on a 6v system before, here to learn!

16. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Is it just a single click? If so dead battery, bad connections, or stuck/bad starter.

If it's a series of rapid clicks it's likely a bad connection or bad ground. What kind of car? Ford fenderwell mount solenoids need a good ground.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Take an old pair of pliers and jumper the in and out terminals of the soleoid. This will throw off some sparks but it will provide a direct current path from the battery to the starter. If the starter spins then you got a bad solenoid. If it doesn't spin then you got a bad or stuck starter. If you don't want to mess up the handles of the pliers, use a battery jumper pac, Neg to engine block and then touch the pos to the starter cable lug or to the end of the starter cable on the starter side of the solenoid.

18. Andy

Andy

Turn on your headlights and try the starter. If the headlights dim, then the battery is weak. If the lights stay bright, you have a bad solenoid,starter, connection.

19. gwayne

gwayne

6 volt starter normally works fine with a 12 volt conversion..

20. SLCK64

SLCK64

OK cool, thanks!

21. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Positive ground? Did the 6volt stuff work before or was it hooked up right? 6volt should be positive ground.

22. George/Maine

George/Maine

If you have a key switch or button you need a 2 wire 12 volt selinode.
    If push botton you need a 2 wire botton.
    Also some times the lug on starter isn,t tight enough.
    Make sure you have big wires on correct side of silnode.

23. Butch54

Butch54
    from tree house

i think he said it's 12 volt converted now..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  24. Butch54

Butch54
    from tree house

push button needs 2 connections for 12 volt? Mine is from dennis carpenter.com and it only has the one connection.. hum..

25. gwayne

gwayne

Found problem and repaired...

Took yesterday to go through all cables and starter.. I ended up pulling the starter, it wouldn't turn with battery cables, so knew there must be an internal prob.... took apart and found one brush broken off...bummer.. Took to the antique auto ranch in the valley, they replaced all the brushes, checked out the starter, tested, brought home, re cleaned all cable connections, installed starter and now the ole flathead is back in business... thanks guys for the input some was useful.... all was read....