Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 49 packard deluxe eight club sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubblesbacon, Jun 19, 2013.

1. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

got this car about two years ago, thats what the pics show on trailer, haven't done much work on car itself but plan on replacing existing frame and suspension with one from a 1990 cadillac, with all the suspension parts, etc. rearend and such.. Also plan on putting in a 1970's large block 455 Oldsmobile that has been bored to 468 cu. in. with dual four barrels setting on offenhauser manifold. I have most of the engine along with the turbo 400 transmission. Not looking to make a drag car or show car but a unique driver... something different.

Attached Files:

2. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

some more pics..
    One of the unique problems with some of these packards is that the veh ID numbers were actually put on the engines.. Now that I have the car titled, when I replace the straight eight in it with the big block olds, the ID number will not be on the car, wisconsin DMV is not the easiest to work with so not sure how to get around this problem, if it is a concern...

Attached Files:

3. About your serial number problem, call the DMV and explain the problem, It's not like the vehicle is stolen plus you have the engine in the car to show them. There are a lot of stories floating around about how hard it is to get problems like this fixed, but most are just rumors.
    I'm south east of Wausau, where you at?

4. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I am, located in Clearwater Lake, between Eagle River and Three lakes... a block behind the historic WEASELS establishment, or should I say what's left of WEASELS, it burnt down last year and now is just a hole in the ground...

As far as DMV my brother has had some difficuties with them the past few years with getting titles and such... Just don't know if I should even try with those folks...

5. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

I have a 49 deluxe. There should be a data ID tag on the drivers side cowl on the flat part between the hood seal and the firewall with the serial number. Like this one.
    [​IMG]
    You can have a new one made. I'll dig up the info.

6. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I will have to look at mine, can not remember seeing anything there, any info would be greatly appreciated..:)

7. oltruckag

oltruckag

I don't know much about 1990 Cadillacs - do they have frames? Or are you clipping it?

My grandfather had a '92 with the transverse v8, I don't remember it striking me as a potential donor for a clip ... Maybe a low deck car hauler.

8. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  9. sololobo

sololobo

Good score bro, I had that club sedan a few years ago. It is now in Tuscon, Az., it was an easy quality 8, and is now a 10+ due to a collector there. I loved it and it was a fun drive, that ol armstrong steering will give ya some muscles. Best wishes with your nice example. ~sololobo~

10. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I just checked mine, it has that tag but the number on it (2265-9-I45XXXX, body style - year - number?) is not the number on the title, that number is stamped on the block. That was the way it was on the title I got from the guy and when I re-titled it they used the same block number. My brother who actually found the car did some research and it seems that packards did the title number different ways in different states or something like that, kinda confusing... also I tried to find the 288 or 327 stamp by the housing but could not find anything readable except for an unreadable tag? but I assume it is a 288 being a club sedan..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Here is an example...
    [​IMG]

12. I went for a ride in one of these that was brought back to life after setting for 40 years in the Black Hills of SD. It had the straight 8 w/od. I love these old Packards.

13. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

okay I found what is left of mine, almost rusted past the point of readable, but it does say 288...which should be right as that was what came in the deluxe club sedan

14. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

If you decide to sell the engine and transmission after you drop the mighty Olds in, let me know. Never hurts to have a spare.

15. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I will keep you in mind... all the parts are there for both the motor and tranny, just rusted and can not quarentee anything works without a lot of work...

16. Edjan

Edjan

If you have any other parts you are getting rid of, I may be a buyer. Also I can provide reference for you. 49 and 50 Packards are roughly the same.

17. Toto

Toto
    from Florida

I have some 49 Packard clipper parts for sale left over from a project.
    steering column, auto transmission, dash with all instruments, flywheel , rear end and rear axle complete. Let me know if interested in any of it before it goes to the scale.
    Have a steel head.