Register now to get rid of these ads!

"barn find" what is the fascination!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jun 22, 2013.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

What is the fascination with the term "barn find".I went to go look at a "barnfind" 61 pontiacin pennsy.He wanted 7000.00After looking at it i told him to put it back in the barn.!This thing was rotted from front to back.

2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

You're judging all the rusty gold out there by one bad experience? Great! I think you should stop looking and leave it to me. :rolleyes:
    If someone were to start a thread on true (good) barn finds, you'd see the light.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

I found this one !
    [​IMG]

4. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

rodents and spiders.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That is a cool barn!

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks Man !,... I think I'll chop and channel it, and put a blown 427 side oilier in it..... Paint it red,.... Maybe flames.

7. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

It's nice to get a car that has not been passed around and had a bunch of crappy things done to it. (until I get it):D

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

First barn find I ever saw was when I was about 7 or 8 years old with my Dad, it was a 27 buick sedan on blocks with about 3,000 mi on it. We went there to a farm to look at a D john deere. The gentleman was an old bachelor. He had a windcharger and the old glass Edison batteries in his basement. Also a Delco light plant generator in the basement also. He had lived there with his Mom till she passed away. They drove the Buick to church every sunday and sometimes to town on saturday. Dad and I went everywhere together looking for junk.:D The old gentleman (Bill Sithe), opened the single car garage door and showed us the buick. Blue body, black fenders and the mohair upholstery looked new. He wanted $500 for it.:D In the late 60's or so, that was a good chunck of change for a 27 buick. Dad passed but Bill said, to me, do you have a rifle? I said no sir. He then pulled a 1902 savage pump 22 rifle down from the wall in the garage and gave it to me and said, "Every boy should own his own rifle". What anice old guy. In the rafters of the barn was a 1909 or 1910 buick brass headlamp also. Dad bought it from Bill for $10 . We spent the entire afternoon with him, drank lemonade and talked. I will treasure the junk hunting days with my Dad forever. The fascination to me was seeing a car for the first time that no one has seen or touched forever. And the experience of meeting great people you would never meet otherwise. It is to me, the chase of tracking a car down, meeting great people and making new friends, and getting to see and possibly buy a machine forgotten by time. My Dad passed away in 1985 with Parkinsons. I will treasure our junk hunting and barn finds forever. Theres nothing like when that old door opens for the first time in years, your like a little kid, wide eyed on X-mas morning. :cool::D Lippy

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"rotted from front to back".
    Doesn't sound like it was in the barn for long-unless the barn had no roof and muddy floors.

"Barn Find" has been inaccurately used as a catch phrase, same as "Hot Rod", "all original", etc. A true barn find is where the car is preserved due to being out of the weather and stashed in the barn for decades. It is truly "discovered" in the barn, not dragged out of a ravine and placed in a barn, then "found".

10. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

"rust free"! Yeah u cant see the rust under an inch of bondo! LOL!

11. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well if you are asking from a "Why do people look for barn finds?" standpoint I can't help you, that is something that can't be explained. It's a sickness really. I love checking out old cars no one has thought about in years. IF you are asking from a "Why does everyone selling a car say it's a barn find?" standpoint. That's easy, they think it will make them more money.

12. jkeesey

jkeesey

My model A was an actual barn find. It was parked in the hay loft in 1968 and pulled apart. There she sat til 3 years ago and my father and I bought it for $400! People use the term "barn find" now as saying it hasn't been worked on in a long time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be serious for a moment, I believe they are popular for the same reason as the various "Pawn Shop" shows and things like "Antiques Roadshow". These seem to show that, any of us, no matter how meager our means, have the chance to stumble upon some find that we can get for a song and turn for major gold. It's just human nature.:)

14. Terrible80

Terrible80

It seems pretty simple, a barn find should be in better shape than a field find with tree thru engine compartment. Sure there are well preserved barn finds and also rodent infested, chicken coop barn finds.:)

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you don't find barn finds to be interesting there is no sense in trying to explain it to you.

a true barn find is more than just a car in a barn.

16. Keep looking, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

17. Im with you Lippy. The entire experience of the hunt and folks you meet are the real FINDS, if a car or parts are obtained, that's just a BONUS!

18. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

22 Stude...it's still there.:)

Attached Files:

19. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

31 AA truck....next to the Stude. THIS is the fascination!

Attached Files:

20. I think there are two schools of thought on "barn find". One is that some barn finds work like the car was oput in a time capsule and stayed in pretty good shape for gawd knows how many years. The other is that there is tracable history to the car that stopped in whatever year and you can start it back up again now.

Well that and it just sounds way cooler than junk yard find.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to fully understand the Barn Find fascination search here for thread: Something I Found Interesting - then go to Post #251 by Harms Way

22. milanperformancecycle

milanperformancecycle
    from milan t.n.

I found a true barn find a few years ago. It was a 1955 Cadillac coupe deville that was bought new from the man that I bought it from. The car was 100 percent rust free. Everything from the car was there including some of the owners manual. The car had just a little over 7000 miles and had not been tagd since 59. With the plastic still on the seats. The real kicker was the old guy let me have the car for free if I tore the ol barn Down. Because he didn't want any kids getting hurt in it. I tell you I was tearing that barn down that night. The are out there they just need to be found.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Please;......... Allow me :)

This is a truly fascinating Barn Find !

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Both my cars were barn finds. Yes they needed work like every car but they were complete and unmolested. They were both hard to find and obtained for a good price. Being there at the right time and getting them for the right price was the key. There is some history to them as well; I'm only the 3rd owner of my '35 Chevy, it went off the road in '69 and purchased by the 2nd owner in '81 and by me in 2000. The '46 Olds was last registered in Texas in '67 and came to Australia in '90. It languished in a shed until 2005 when I bought it. I've run into the sellers since and kept them up to date with progress. :D

Attached Files:

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I heard that, who wants to find an old car thats been stashed away in a barn for 30 plus years just getting older.... dipshits.

26. 32Gnu

32Gnu

You look on Barrett Jackson and I'll cover the barns.. Probably because when you see a car put together to look like its from a earlier genre, it will never be as cool as the barn find that IS from another genre.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. docmike

docmike

Naaah, barns and flames are NOT a good idea!!! Here is a shot of my Aunts barn a few years ago. Too bad she was clueless to the meth lab my cousin has running out the back. :eek: All evidence was destroyed and my cousin has no idea how the anhydrous ammonia got into his welding tanks.

[​IMG]

Doc

28. christopher 78

christopher 78

No! It's a car in a barn!

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I think it's true that the term "barn find" has taken on new meaning in recent years. It would be fun to do a compilation of all the barn finds that have been described on this site. When I found my "barn find" last summer, I was really only interested in it because it was a 34 Ford three window coupe. The fact that it was in a barn was only a coincidence, but I have to admit that it does make the find more interesting.

Attached Files:

30. mickeyc

mickeyc

The fact you even ask that question answers it for you. You just don't have the passion for the pusuit. I have chased hundreds of leads over many years. Made a few great deals and missed many also. Most were quite trashed as you mention. I bought a 32 3 window ford from a "barn"
    after two years of effort and frustration from a very reclusive owner.
    I had to keep this under my hat for two years as the fellow and myself worked around a few other car guys who did not happen to hear of it.
    Lots of fretting, but grear fun when I left his yard with it on my trailer!
    Thats what its all about for me!