Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Bucket Bodies Question "Who To Use"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoronetRTguy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hahhaa:D

2. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah lol shocking isn't it? Haha

The price of the body is great but shipping brings it to $689 to my house and RPM when on sale is $669 to my house. Speedway on a normal day is $679 to my house. I feel like the shipping and handling is making up some of the lost money on the body. Still it is fair price.

Right now Speedway has my vote for price and quality. I also like the straight dash. If Spirit did a straight dash I would be on it.

I want to order a few parts when I do buy the body to have a good jump start on the project.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Kramer

Kramer

I'm in the process of building a T with a speedway body. I have had no issues with it what so ever. I bought the body from them a little over 10 years ago, so I can't attest to their current bodies. But I can't imagine they have changed much, except for the price:D. I built my frame using CCR's plans. The body fits it well, however if I had bought the body first, I would have tapered the frame about an inch or so to the front. The body seems stout enough, but does need to be wooded for more strength. Like I said, I've had it over ten years, with only having it on the frame for the past 5 or so. I have moved it around the garage a lot to get it out of the way, and have removed and installed it on the frame by my self several times with no ill effects to the body. I do not have the wood in it yet, or the floor glassed in yet. Because of the lack for work space, progress has been a little slow on it.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Oh ya, gotta agree with you on the straight dash, a plus in my book.

5. 54sled

54sled

No problems on fit and finish on the speedway,there is more of them then any other on the road!

6. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you Kramer. Also good to know about the CCR plans. I was going back and forth on those and ones from Hot Rod (1964 I think) and I believe Car Craft 1974. I know or I think I will have to extend the frame a little if I go with the Mopar 383/727.

Can you tell me what you mean by tappering in the frong?

My best plan of attack on the bucket is to have body, motor, trans and rear end and then go with the frame.

Yeah I just like the straight dash look and everything I have seen from the 50s and 60s that I like has the straight dash in it or a Dash that has curved edges like Gene Chan T bucket. I'm in love with that Bucket.

I also like the steering colum going through the dash panel.

7. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you 54sled.

That brings another question to mind while I'm thinking about it. How can you tell who made the body?

I'm asking just in case one comes up for sale on craigslist.

8. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

kennys rod shop hands down!!!!!!!!

9. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I looked at their page or I think it is their page but didnt see any buckets. Do you know if that is something U just need to call or email about?

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Well Jim worked for Total Perf and I am sure what he makes would be as good as. It is some time since I was last there but Jim is still in business so what he sells must be good. I still deal with Cool-Flex and that is based in the same place.

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I've been a practicing Mechanical Engineer for over 30 years and I can say there is no truer statement !! Love it...paralysis by analysis. My son and daughter are both engineers ...they will love it too !!

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Take a look at "Scott's rods" -will give you an idea of what an un-channeled T looks like.. just an other approach..

dave

13. Koz

Koz

I just bought a Kennys' body and the quality is fantastic! Unfortunately, I understand they no longer make Bucket bodies according to the shop I bought this from. Mine is old stock and is super straight and will need very little blocking to take gloss black.

By the way LongT.... You're not going to be the only bucket at the HAMB & Eggs anymore!

My build thread, start on page 9.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702443&page=9

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks and I will check in with both of them. I think Cool-Flex gave me a price on the boy but not shipping. I will also check in with Jim.

It is crazy that shipping can cost almost what a body does.

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I will check Scotts Rods out. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will channel it but like to see what one looks like not channeled.

Koz can you tell me who Kenny is? I may have seen the name in one of the past post but just dont know it right now.

I'm also following your build thread. Looks good and you are off to a great start!

16. Koz

Koz

Here's a link to their Ebay store.
    http://stores.ebay.com/KennysRodandKustom

Don't know much bout them other than they've been in business a long time. I have bought some other parts from them directly over the years and they have been super good to deal with and very prompt on their shipments. I bought my body from Queens in McCungie and I know they had it for a long time and gave me a helluva deal. They said it was the last one Kennys made. Who knows? Give them a shout,

As for my project, I've started three times already. I have a small shop and customer cars take preference. Each time I got tired of looking at it setting there due to lack of time and offed the carcase. This time I've blocked out some time to build a simple ride so I have something to drive. I can usually put a bucket on the road in about three weeks so this one is at least practical. I hindsight, I've always missed my o bucket. I've owned some pretty cool rides over the years but the bucket was always the most fun. I've been climbing the deuce roadster car ladder for the past five years or so and still miss the bucket so here goes!

Your building the right car. Put it on the road and beat the hell out of it!

17. S1B

S1B

I was just going to post a similar thread, but found this one.
    I wich one is the closest to a real T in dimensions and overall look.

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks man and you are right there is just something about a Bucket that just sticks in my head and I can't shake it. I even went back to looking at Mopar cars done and projects. I just can't bring myself to buy one right now.

The finished cars I always worry who did the work and how was it done and what is hidden. Coming from a home where all my dad did was body work and hearing the horror stories of what people did to cars. I would have to buy a project car and do the work and farm out what I couldnt do and watch with a careful eye to make sure it is done right. Then I would go back to my old ways worrying about the paint and all that. I want to drive and have fun! The Bucket just screams hot rod to me and it is was I have been thinking about non stop for a while now. I also dont see them at shows or in town here much. There used to be a few but I have not seen them.

S1B that is a good question and one I was hoping to find out but had not asked it.

So guys who's body is the clossest or exact of an original?

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For the most part, unless you get a stretched body, they are all fairly close to a real 1923 Ford Model T Roadster. Some have a slight variation where the windshield mounts, but even then, it's only 1/2" to 3/4" difference.

20. S1B

S1B

Thanks for the info

21. kscarguy

kscarguy

Old Dog Street Rods in St Louis has a bunch of bodies that would be worth checking out.

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Do you have a contact number or link to web site? I will do a google search and see if I turn up anything. Thanks.

Is this the site and place? I don't see a listing for Buckets or bodies.

http://www.olddogstreetrods.com/osc/catalog/index.php

23. S1B

S1B

Coronet RTguy are you going to use an opening door ?

24. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I'm still on the fence of using a door or not. I'm also wonder if I can cut a body and then fab a door into it.

I think another member on here said I could but I'm not 100% sure I will try it or just get a body with a door.

With my back and having muscle problems after having a stroke a few years ago I'm thinking more and more on a door.

How about you S1B you going to go with a door?

25. Koob

Koob
    from Bryan, TX

I have used CCR bodies which are good and also built my own frame with help from a friend (need a jig) using CCR plans. The plans have all you need to make brackets, braces ect. to go along with the frame. On the other hand, Ron Pope is a great guy and makes a great product. He also makes all the bracket and mounts you would need.

26. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you and Ron's name does come up a lot in this thread as well. I know he was a super nice guy to talk to on the phone and in email.

27. S1B

S1B

I want to. It sure is a price jump though. I'm going to build a "40s style" (i know it should be steel, but ohwell)car, so a door would be nice since it will sit higher.

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah I know what you mean. I would like to have one but it is a big jump. Maybe start a thread and see if anyone has done this to a glass body that has no door and I will chime in as well and keep a watch on it.

I know a member here said he has done it or it can be done.

It would be a good thread to have and if anyone has info on doing it may be able to post up pics of it.

Keep me posted if you do a thread on it and link us to it. Also if you get a body let me know who you go with.

Can't wait to see your build thread!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Check out Tbucketeers. There's quite a few threads on cutting out doors. From what I've seen, it's doable, but it's definitely a "measure 5 times and cut once" procedure. Do a lot of research before cutting up your body. I've seen some NASTY attempts.

30. Kramer

Kramer

Sorry about the confusion on this, what I meant to say is I would make the front of the frame an inch or so narrower than the rear. (I have seen plans where this is done.) I think it would have looked better at the firewall with the frame inside the firewall more. As it is, it's right at the edge of the body side. Not a big issue however. Hopefully that didn't make it more confusing.