Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Bucket Bodies Question "Who To Use"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoronetRTguy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey everyone,[/FONT]

I have a question relating to T Bucket bodies and the companies that are out there on the market right now. I would like to hear from those that have either used the companies listed below or have worked with people using them for their builds. I know we have a lot of builders here that build cars for their own personal use and I know we have builders here who build cars for customers.

So with that being said I'm going to list the companies I have been told to use and the ones I have looked at myself. Tell me about your experience with these companies. If you have used someone else tell me about your experience with them.

Companies I have been told to use -

Speedway Motors

Spirit

RPM

CCR (California Custom Roadsters)

So tell me who, what and how your experience is with the companies listed above and if you have a company that you have used that is not listed tell me about them.

Thanks everyone.

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Ford Motor Co. is best.

Lee Brennan and falcongeorge like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a CCR and I like it. I had looked at Total performance (when they were in business), Spirit and Speedway. CCR's body seemed to be the thickest and it had a 'glass floor with a composite inner. The others seemed thin and required a wood substructure. I've heard RPM's bodies are good, but I've never seen one in person.

I got my body used and got it at 1/2 price, otherwise (at the time) I would have gone with a Total Performance because I was using their frame.

CCR's body is the most expensive, but it's ready to go. So, your wallet will have a play in your choice. BUT, and this is important, for some reason not all bodies fit the same. I mean, a Speedway windshield won't fit a Spirit or CCR. A CCR windshield won't fit a Spirit. It's usually best to get your body accessories all from the same company, unless you plan to fab. Sometimes this carries over to chassis parts as well.

And a CCR body works best on their chassis. It works on my Total frame, but not perfectly. I had to move it back, in order to fit.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, them too.:D

5. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Building a Time Machine will have one soon! lol.

I didnt know that about different windshield frames. I just thought they all were about the same and you would have to do some work to get them to fit. That is good info to know on using parts from different companies.

I had also thought about doing my own frame but again it might cost more then just go with what is on the market.

My plan was to get the motor, trans, rear end and body. I would then build a frame around all of that. I have been told a few times build the frame around the body and motor.

I think CCR will be about $200-300 more with shipping, if shipping is about the same as the other companies. I also have looked at their full rolling kits.

Tell me about the floors with CCR?

How flat are they on the inside? I really want to run it as flat as I can to the firewall and trans hump.

Speedway motors seems to have a good deal on their rollers also but not sure if they will work with me if I use something other than a small block Ford or Chevy. I may go with the Mopar big block 383, 727 and 8 3/4 rear end that I have found.

Thanks everyone and keep the info coming. I don't mind fitting parts to work because that is one thing I figured on doing from the start with a glass body.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

CCR's floor is a partially a fiberglass covered honeycomb core. The floor is 'glass and the sides, where the channel is, are a 'glass covered core. It has a trans hump and it'll cover most transmissions. Otherwise, it's completely flat. The trans hump is what kills foot room in a T Bucket. About the only way to get around it is to NOT channel the frame. But even then, space is limited. Other companies offer a floor, but it's extra and they're probably wood.

If you can build your own frame, you'll be ahead of the game and you'll save money. Doing that will give you the freedom to use any power train you choose. Most main stream frames are set up for a SBC or a SBF.

CCR's body is so thick, that it doesn't require a glassed in wood substructure. In fact, they sell a drop in interior. The Sprit and Speedway body will probably require a wooden substructure. My CCR body has NO flex in it. I sit on the body sill and use it as I slide out. It's structurally sound enough that I have lifted mine off, by myself, when working on my transmission. It won't flex and has never cracked. In fact, I was in an accident and my body was one of the things that didn't need to be replaced.

brEad likes this.
  7. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks for the info I will have to look into them more. I was thinking if I got a body with no frame using some metal and fiber glass to make the flooring.

Yeah I have a couple guys I found in the area that have built T buckets and frames. The one guy said he would do whatever I want. I was thinking of getting the tubing myself tack it up or weld what I feel I can do with my dads guidance and then having a shop do it all or check out my welds for safety. If my dads eye site was better I would do the frame and not worry.

I keep thinking should I channel the body? I want to set low inside it so not 100% sure and can I get the look I want with not channeling?

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

Wintec Fabrication out of CT is building some cool looking touring size bodies. Not really sure of their quality but they look nice.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have no experience with Ron Pope's body (RPM) but know Ron well from these forums and from the hundreds of people who have written glowing reports about everything he makes. There is no doubt in my mind that if Ron puts his name on it they are good.

I have only used Speedway bodies (my 27 and my 23) and a Total Performance body (My Sons T bucket) Fiberglass bodies for T buckets are essentially the same and all of them require a certain amount of tweaking and work to make them usable. The Speedways are like most, just an empty shell, but the gelcoat is pretty smooth and the glass is fairly thick, so there is a good base to start with IMO.

I have seen some bucket bodies at shows for sale by vendors that were horrible...........huge parting lines down the middle and very rough edges. They look like they would take a ton of work to make them right, if they could even be gotten to that point.

Just plan on learning how to fiberglass, it really isn't a hard process and mistakes are easily repaired. Once you do a little glassing you will feel like you have done it forever. (Don't ask me about the itch though :eek:)

Don

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Another you could try is Wintec Fabrication. The owner of that business used to work for Total Performance.

Web site > http://www.wintecfabrication.com/

Sorry I just read your post after I posted.

11. 54sled

54sled

Mine is a speedway,my dad had a speedway,good for the money,no complaints here!

12. I like speedway. My old bucket was from there.

13. 67coronet

67coronet

Try Class Glass Performance in Cumberland Maryland. They make some nice bodys and where you are you can drive up and check them out.

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I'm friends with them on facebook and I have been looking at their bodies. The over sized body I even said it on their page looks like a touring body. I might check them out some more.

Hey HOTFR8 I have been watching them and glad you posted them because I had forgotten that I am friends with them on facebook. I would like to hear more about them if anyone is using or has used them. I was just in Baltimore and I hate that trip. I will check into them and I hope someone post up some info on them as well. Thanks man.

Thank you and that is good to hear. Did you have any fitting problems or anything to look for?

Thank you did you have any problems with it?

I have looked at their page or I think it was their page. I saw a thread about them and they seem to be a good company but I would like to hear more if anyone has info on them.

Thanks everyone and please keep the info coming even on companies I have not listed I'm trying to find the best company to buy from. I have a feeling that most if not all will need some tweaking and I don't mind that. I just don't want a body that looks like an after thought with the lines.

I'm also really wanting one with a straight across dash. I just like the looks of them the best.

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Jim Wilkos runs Wintec. I have known him a long time.

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

What do you think of the bodies he puts out? I know Tbucketplans.com on facebook promotes them a lot or talks about them a good bit.

I think Spirit and RPM run sales on their bodies about the same time and RPM is cheaper in shipping than Spirit but speedway has them beat on shipping.

It is crazy to see that Speedway runs no sale on their bodies and shipped to my house is still a little cheaper than RPM and Spirit.

I have seen some T bucket bodies on ebay but have no clue who makes them that are really cheap but I run from them because I have not a clue on them.

Keep the info coming. I think there is a lot of info to process from each company. If I didnt start this thread I would have not thought about something as simple as a few brackets not working with a different companies body and frame.

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

I could make you a steel one... just sayin :D:D:D

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hey RT guy , you wouldn't happen to be an engineer , would you . Reason I ask is my older brother is an engineer & we often say he suffers from "paralysis by analysis" LOL

dave

19. LongT

LongT

My T body is from Class Glass and Performance. It already had wood substructure when I bought the project. I think that the body loks pretty strong.

I have Speedway windshield posts and had to do a bit of body work to make them fit. It wasn't very hard. I am NO body man!!

Be advised though that the body is 8" longer than normal so some won't consider it a T-bucket. The extra room is nice though!

[​IMG]

I found some at work, actually on Photobucket.

The day it was dropped off:

[​IMG]

Interior the same day:

[​IMG]

Interior with the bare seat:
    [​IMG]

Bill

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I would love a steel body and I love your work but I'm betting shipping to me would be more than my wallet could handle lol.

I wish I was an engineer lol if I was I wouldnt be to worried about it and spending my money right the first time lol. I would have a few cars that are on my list.

Hey Bill post them when you get home and get a chance. I thought about a stretched body but with my height I'm ok with a standard body.

Tell me about the work you had to do with the windshield frame?

I'm trying to think if Hot Rod when they did their kit from Speedway had to do the same thing. I'm not worried about doing some glass work if I have to.

I just dont want to buy a body that looks off or is thin and just not worth the money I spent.

I'm thinking of doing my own windshield frame. I will wait until I have the body to decide that. I want a swept back look but I'm thinking it wont look right and can't be done.

21. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks Bill that body looks good. I dig it man.

22. LongT

LongT

All I had to do for the windshield post was put down a couple of layers of resin/mat and some filler, I think that I used Duraskin it has fibers in it. Then I sanded held the post to the body, sanded high spots and filled low spots. It really wasn't hard.

I used the resin and mat because I had to make the body a little wider so that the windshield frame would fit. The frame was a little tooo wide for the body about 1/4" if I remember correctly.

Bill

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Back on my CCR body, I didn't have to do anything to it. NOTHING. I drilled the holes for my windshield posts and glassed my seat in. That was it. No seam down the middle at all, that I could see. The CCR windshield posts mounted exactly where they were supposed to with no extra glass needed for reinforcement. In fact, the glass was thicker in the spots you would normally add it. BUT, if I had had to buy a new CCR body, I wouldn't have due to cost. I would have went with a Spirit or Speedway and reinforced it my self.

I think the CCR body is about $1,200 new and a Spirit or Speedway is about $400-$450. That extra $800 would pay for stuff you'll need later. If you're going into this counting pennies, shop around and do as much yourself as you can. You'll learn something and save money. A win win.

24. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks tfeverfred. The Spirit bodies are on sale right now and really have been for months. The price is $297.50 plus shipping and with shipping it comes to the same price as speedway shipped.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. tjm73

tjm73

There is a company in Ohio called Kenny's Rod & Custom. They have the best fiberglass bodies I have ever laid eyes on. You should do some research on them. High quality, reasonable price. I'll see if I have some pictures...

27. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

The thing that is winning me over is the dash at Speedway. I like the straight dash.

I'm trying not to get in over my head in the bucket. I want to keep the price down so if I ever have to sell I dont take a big hit. My goal budget is 8-10K. I also don't want to just use cheap parts because they are cheap. I really want to build a cool ride and enjoy it.

I'm going for a traditional look from the late 50s to either early 60s to almost late 60s feel.

I'm really starting to dig the wire wheels as of late too.

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks I will look them up. Ohio is not that far either from VA so shipping shouldnt be so bad.

I will them up tjm73. Thanks man.

29. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I have used five T bucket bodies from Spirit. They are a good bang for the buck. If Ron Pope is selling bodies, you can bet they're good. I know Ron and I know his work is top notch.

30. fleet-master

fleet-master

$297.50????? Fuck me....