Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Things I've Learned About Chip Foose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, Chip's the youngest son of his look-alike Dad. Mickey Rooney.

Chip Foose is really Sam Foose's son.

I've known Sam for years, only time I saw him get 'crotchety' was after 12 hours of a car show, and an obnoxious heckler...other than that, Sam's a mild mannered bodyman extraordinaire.

2. apound

apound

Had the pleasure of meeting him this year at the Detroit Autorama. He was there with Roy Brizio and both were VERY nice. Seems like most (but not all for sure) of the big name car guys I have met have been really cool and down to earth. A few I have met that really impressed me are Gene Winfield, Chip, Roy Brizio, Troy Trepainer, and Charlie Hutton. Not all these guys build HAMB friendly stuff but are very talented. Sorry didn't mean to name drop hijack the thread.

3. upspirate

upspirate

Never met him, but really liked the show where the "team" re-did Chip's own truck and presented it to him at the car show (SEMA maybe??)

4. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years ago, he even took the time to do a sketch on the headliner of my car.
    A very down to earth guy.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on ya, Jay. Didn't realize you were such a celebrity! Cool . . .

6. oldthudman

oldthudman

Really like Chip Foose's show.........And Wheeler Dealers.......

Chip's redo of Boyd's 32 into the "Foose Deuce" was outstanding........

Many of the others are more about the personal conflicts, the host/owner telling the TV audience how great he is and how stupid everyone else is......Maddening.......

Yes IIRC Chip went to Art Center School in LA.....

7. belair

belair

I'm a fan. you might make him famous, J-B.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. I met Chip at SEMA last year. What a genuinely nice guy! I have the utmost respect for him and his talent.

9. otas

otas

family and I walked in his shop a few years back and he was block sanding primer with a dusk mask on. he took off the dusk mask shook hands and started talking cars with us. what a guy.

10. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

One of the greatest talents of modern times. I like all kinds of cars not just hamb friendly stuff and I tell you one thing if i ever win the lotto
    Im gonna have him build me a car.....
    I dont think people here realize that just because he seems to have a futuristic
    And modernizing style to alot of old stuff he does , does'nt mean he would'nt or has'nt used
    His talents in a more old style traditional way.
    Imagine what he could do with a 40 merc....... (Insert homer drool sound here)...

11. texdesoto

texdesoto

One of the best.

12. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

What gets to me about Chip is usually at the end of the Overhaulin'shows-sometimes he is on the verge of crying (at the emotions of the person/family that's been "Overhauled")-the guy has a heart as big as Texas (or, would that be California?) to go along with all that talent-

Class act-we need more like him-

13. Good read
    I've always felt he was the genuine article and reading this
    just affirms that more.

14. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

He was here last year at the Vic Hot Rod Show,doing an advert for dynamat,it was just a cardboard cut-out of Chip,but i still spoke to him while i had the chance and even shook his hand,lol ,he has my vote as one of the greats !

15. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Fearless!!!anyone that takes a cutoff wheel to the perfectly finished hood and makes a perfect round hole for the air cleaner to poke thru and add a 68 Mustang hood scoop to cover up an error (manifold made the carb sit too high) is a master in my book!

16. Jive-Bomber Jay -

I echo what you & everyone else has said about Chip ... not only is he an extremely talented artist, designer, craftsman, etc. ... but has always been a genuinely humble & down-to-earth guy!

Here's a pic from my archives ... a very young Chip posing with his Art Center College of Design graduation project ... "HEMISFEAR":

Chip Foose and his 'HEMISFEAR' @ Magoo~Burnham Hot Rod Heroes Roast (Oakland - Jan '91).jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a few years ago, about 6 of us went to his shop during his specified visiting time. he was at the far end of his small shop talking to a guy and he just gave us a glance, then his office girl took us to another part of the shop. I bought a tee shirt anyway

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, and he makes the straightest cut with an air saw that I have ever seen. Must not drink any coffee. :D He isn't afraid to cut up something that is already done to make it even better.

Don

19. I met him for the 1st time at Lead East in 1999(I think)when he had just finished that 57 Chevy convertible.Really quiet and kind of just hung back watching and listening.Someone invited him to join the stripers there doing a charity jam for Ronald McDonald house.He did a really nice rendering which sold for a goodly amount and even did some striping although he said he'd never done it very much.All in all a great guy.
    Ran into him again in Auburn Indiana about 7 years later where we were doing a panel jam and he was there signing autographs across from us. I went over to have him sign my pith helmet and he actually remembered meeting me at Lead East! We talked for about half an hour and I realized that he was indeed a really humble and great guy.He stayed there way over the time he was supposed to signing stuff and talking with everyone.
    He is DEFINITELY the real deal!

20. historynw

historynw

I've never met him but he seems to be emotionally involved with his work...and the people he does it for.

21. I have never met him. I would very much like to though.

22. slammed

slammed

He was working a unicycle one time during a show. He was raised RIGHT>

23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Would love to meet him. Seems like a genuine down to earth guy with out of this world talent.:)

24. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

When I was in LA about 5 years ago for GNRS we visited some of the shops, whilst at his shop he showed us around and told us what he was doing to each car. Some other English guys were there at the same time and Chip was happy to have his picture taken, one guy even pretended to be showing Chip some sort of detail or how to do something on a car and Chip played along with a slightly confused look on his face for a few pictures.

Old article, but his work ethic is incredible: http://www.roadfly.com/features/chip-foose-interview.html

25. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I would agree. He seems like a super nice guy with a big heart. My wife loves to watch him cry and get all emotional too. I definately think he is super talented but with that said I really couldn't care less for some of the cars he has done. Not really my thing.
    Jay

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

One of the nicest people I've ever met, and about the only that I'd feel 90% confident handing over any of my rides to and letting him do his thing, just has a knack for bitchin design!

27. im not into most of the cars ive seen him do but there is no doubt hes very talented I haven't had the pleasure to meet him but I saw him at the cavalcade of customs in Cincinnati a couple years ago he was standing on the "stage" getting ready to sign autographs for about a gazillon people so I stood there until I thought he looked my way flashed him a thumbs up and he returned it

maybe one day ill get to say hey to him

28. You guys look alike.

29. Always had the utmost respect for the man. Seems genuine and truly into making all those projects what "THE OWNER" would want.
    Last week he raised the bar. Being a "Sporty-Car, type of guy, I was flabbergasted, with what he and his team did to that Lotus Europa.:cool:
    (for Jay Leno's helper) Not a HAMB kinda car, but to cut and weld the chassis to lower ride height took balls and ingenuity. I've been around professional Sports Car Racing, for a long time. Overall acomplishments were unreal. Car looked, sounded and drove killer!! AND...this time it took almost 3 months. Not the fake, one week. So glad you did this thread.

JT

30. sololobo

sololobo

nice words, you guys are a class team!`sololobo~