Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you use these bones???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspwr, Jun 17, 2013.

1. oldspwr

oldspwr

A friend of mine gave me this axle which he believes came out of a 36 Ford... The king pins are 50 1/2" so it may be 33-36...

[​IMG]

I would like to split these for my model T project but it looks like someone tried to remove the one pin and hacked it up. I'm not sure if these can welded and repaired so I figured it would ask the question here...

[​IMG]

The other side is still all together...

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yup, those ends look salvageable. Weld on them and dress them back to perfection. What do the tubes look like? Good condition, no major pitting?

3. R Pope

R Pope

16" wires says 1935, not '36. And I agree, some fill welds and grinding, they can be used again.
    Don't throw away those wheels!

4. oldspwr

oldspwr

Thanks for the replies...

I was concerned that the ends were forged and you couldn't weld them without creating a problem.

5. 117harv

117harv

Yes, they just need some attention as the others stated. How pitted are the tubes?

6. Mart

Mart

No problem with welding forgings - (obviously you have to do it correctly) You might be thinking of castings which are not so straightforward.

Mart.

7. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

I might be way off, but I think '37 was the first year for cross-steering. With mechanical brakes that axle would '37 be or '38.

8. It looks okay... just some work and it'll be good!

9. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Just stay away from "both" of those tie rod.

10. No their no good. Better send that whole front end to me so I can use I mean diispose of them for ya:). With a little work, they are verry usable. Good find.

11. '35 was first year of cross steer.

Both '35 and '36 used rod actuated mechanical brakes.

'37 and '38 used cables to operate the mechanical brakes.

12. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The bones and axle are 35-36, you can tell by the swoop in the spring perch ahead of the axle. 37-40 the perch was inline with the bone.

13. Mart

Mart

The axle is the same 32-36 so that little pile o junk is well worth saving. I know there are detail differences, (heavy/light etc) but that axle would bolt into a 32 and work.

Mart.

14. oldspwr

oldspwr

Thanks for everyone's help...

I grabbed a few more pics of the bones this morning. They are pitted but not that bad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So based on everyone's comments this looks like a good axle to get dropped as well...

15. badshifter

badshifter

Not me, those bones are gonna look real marginal after sandblasting. I'd invest in stripping them before building around them.

16. swissmike

swissmike

The tubes will rust from both in and outside, especially on the lower edge if water pools inside.