Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fire Damaged beauty...Complicated fix?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 17, 2013.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

That fire damage is ALOT MORE COMPLICATED than you would think. Fires change the PH of the metal and normal prep wont let paint/primer to stick for any time. All the wiring will be a pain in the butt, let alone it all has to be replaced the remainder of the old will be stuck to everything...

If your interested in something like that I run across cars just like that selling for around a grand from insurance companies.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My opinion of this car as a "deal" appears above. But what I don't understand about this 'theory' of paint not sticking is, how come it sticks to metal that has been welded? Welded metal (molten metal) has been hotter than metal merely exposed to a fire and yet, miraculously, paint adheres to it. I tend to think this is an oft quoted notion that is more legend than fact.

But, as always, I'm willing to listen to a factual contrary view.

Ray

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I could fix it, but I wouldn't want a '40 Chevy 2dr sedan, no matter WHAT was under the warped hood. Not a very desireable car, but if it were about a grand or maybe 2, it'd be worth it for the chassis and engine, IF I had a coupe or cabriolet body to put on it.

Brian

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

The paint wont stick to a car that has been on fire because of the chemicals in the paint changes the PH (acidity) of the metal by causing a chemical reaction, Can be washed and scrubbed with baking soda to neutralize it and paint will stick fine afterwards. That vs welding because a weld is shielded from the enviornments be either an externally supplied gas or a flux which when burnt creates a barrier from contamination...

I have repaired some burn cars in the past. It is possible but is ALOT of work.

5. I'll agree with Redo, this is bad but not that bad. Like he said, look at what they did with Medley's coupe and that was inside a garage that burned to the ground. The asking price may be too high (depending on the chassis/motor), but have all the burned parts sandblasted and start over.

6. If you get the contamination off the metal and smoke out of the pores of the steel (that's the biggest issue smoke residue ) the paint will stick just fine.
    A good abrasive scrub or blasting gets the smoke.

7. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

If that's his driveway in the pictures he sure has a lot of cars sitting around. :rolleyes: I'm betting he just bought the car the Tuesday before the ad came out at the Phoenix branch of the Insurance Auto Auctions and he is trying to flip it for a profit. They have an auction every Tuesday. I used to be a member and go to these auctions. I bought a lot of salvage cars over the years.

8. He states that he bought it at insurance auction, in the ad, but is over his head on skills to rebuild it himself.

9. I would stay away from that one.

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I know he stated he bought it there but if it has been sitting in his driveway under a tarp for a long period of time as he also implied I just find it a little funny that the only pictures he has posted up in his ad are at the auction.

If I was to sell something that I had bought at the insurance auction and I had brought it home the pictures would reflect that. I might have some at the auction but the bulk would be at home. I personally find that a little shifty. I would want to see the documents before I handed out $4,400.

I'm not saying that he couldn't have paid that for it at an auction, I've been to hundreds of auctions and seen all kinds of crazy priced stuff. But the odds are he didn't. It just doesn't look like it's worth that to me. I've seen a lot of burnt stuff sell and it's usually cheap.

I do have several vehicles that I have purchased at insurance auctions and if I decided to sell them I would go out and take fresh pictures.

11. He's allowed to ask $44,000 for the heap if he wants hell 44 million at that rate.
    And if somebody asked me to prove what I paid I'd show them the door not the paperwork.

That being said, I don't think it would have gone to 4400 at an auction either.

12. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

And just a few minutes spent on searching with Google and SearchTempest I found several 1940 Chevys from $975 to $4000 that look more appealing than the burnt one for $4400.

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Seems to me you are way off point. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT HE PAID FOR IT........except that he could be lyin'.....but even that doesn't matter.

What it is WORTH to someone is what matters. If was free to him, or he paid $20,000 for it, doesn't change it's value in the marketplace.

Things are worth what you can get for them...........nothing more, nothing less.

Ray

15. voodoo1

voodoo1

I bet he didn't even pay 1k for that. Still in over his head tho. Stay away.

16. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Normally you two are right about it not mattering what he paid for it but since he stated in the ad "I am looking to recoup what I paid for it", that statement opens up the what did you pay for it curiosity within me. I'm not the least bit interested in buying this car, I think it's way overpriced. That being said, since he stated what he did in the ad I would want to see that for myself. If he showed me the door after that it would be fine with me, I'd still have my $4400 in my pocket.

17. I would almost swear that car was featured in a magazine, an article on fat fenders. I think this car and a yellow 39 chevy coupe that was shortened a small amount were featured together.
    As soon as I seen the rear picture a light went off saying big block and sure enough there is one in it. Anyone else remember, maybe Rodders Digest ???

18. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

With a chopped top and IFS, I highly doubt it

19. daddio211

daddio211

If it was a public auction the price paid should be public info, right?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. No.
    Do you think someone goes to every sale in America and makes a note of what everything sold for? Who and for what purpose?

21. redo32

redo32

I'm forever amazed at the number of small minded IDIOTS on this board. If you've absorbed anything on here you should remember Medley's '40 and the flaming '32 Vicky that were both far worse than this Chevy, and both of those cars are better now than before the fires. It takes a lot of work and skill to fix fire damage, but it can be done and paint will stick to it. I hope the OP gets a good deal on this, throws some junkyard seats, new glass, wiring, steering column, hood on it and with some elbow grease and primer and has a rig that will blow your DOORS OFF!!!

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Tom Medley's car was repaired because of who Tom Medley is and for no other reason. A heroic effort with massive donations of time and materials by a wide assortment of talented and generous contributors. Hardly a yardstick by which to measure the worthiness of this project.

23. I Drag

I Drag

Ah yes, i enjoy my own stupidity and lack of ability.

So, my 2 friends think thats $4400 worth of car sitting there I guess.

I may be stupid, but I can recognize a money pit when I see it. As far as salvaging 'good' parts, I have a whole garage full of 'good' parts i been dragging around to swap meets for the last 10 years. Dont even bother anymore. Maybe you all can flip parts for profit but I cant. Good on ya.

As for your love, I will consider that when that car does indeed get dropped off in my driveway for free.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  24. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The top isn't chopped but: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3847431891.html

I wish there was some pictures of the "Thousands worth of new high quality parts", but I'm sure he would provide them if someone that was interested in buying it asked.

25. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Here's the original auction listing from January: http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfin...LET_SEDAN_CERT_OF_TITLE_-_SALVAGE_PHOENIX_AZ/

In addition to concerns over paint adhesion, fire can play havoc with metal temper making it hard to work. Interior fires get incredibly hot being fed by all those petroleum based plastics and the roof of a burner can generally be easier fixed by cutting it off and welding on a new one. Not as bad as a burned Vette, though. I remember seeing a burned '58 that looked like a hairball the cat gacked up.