Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Jiminy

Jiminy

Great looking Momus - hope you post some of your results - building one of these is on my to-do list to also create casting patterns and do some light machining of aluminum.

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The 2 posts on the CNC and bead forming cab are very innovative, good work. In fact, a lot of good ideas on this whole post.

Ago

3. Jeeze, I was going to post how I made a chisel out of a screwdriver but now that someone has made a freakin' CNC milling machine from scratch.......nevermind..:(

4. ^^^ I feel the same way

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I would like to make a comment but.......

6. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

dang--i just use a rock to bang stuff back into place----very nice on the cnc :)

7. Scratch built CNC miller - mods please lock this thread off now....

8. gtermini

gtermini
    from Amity, OR

Well I have been lurking on this forum for a while now. I had been planning a homemade belt grinder and found many cool things all over the interwebs. Many great ideas come from here.

I had wanted a belt grinder for a while, but didn't want to spend $500 right now, so I built this one for about $35 which was mostly in the electrical. The contact is an old industrial caster bushed to a 3/4" shaft and cut true in place on the machine OD is about 5 1/2". The motor is 1.5 HP, 3600rpm and could stand to be bigger. It is overdriven at about 4000rpm giving slightly less than 5000fpm belt speed. It will eat metal as fast as you want and cuts cool without belt loading. It has since been painted dark machine gray and cleaned up a little, sorry no new pics.

I don't know why I didn't build one sooner, I only had about a day in building it. Currently I am building another 2X48 that will direct mount to a C-face motor and a 3X79 7000fpm machine for heavy stock removal and weld prep.

I got the contact wheel from a friend's junk stash. It had a light duty roller bearing pressed in the aluminium hub; I removed the bearing and turned a set of steel bushing to a light press into the hub. It is fixed on the shaft by a 3/4-10 thread I cut and a large nut faced square. The sholder is a piece of DOM tube bored for a tight fit on the shaft and secured with two grub screws run into divits. The rubber on the wheel is vitrified on as the wheel was made, it is about 70-80 durometer rubber, just right for direct grinding.

The lower portion of the frame is from a scientific positioning two axis stage I disassembled. It is nice and heavy and was blanchard ground all over. It is an assembly of three pieces, just a junk bin find. The tracking parts came from other pieces of the stage as well with a little modification.

The upper wheel was turned from 3" solid aluminium and bored for two double row ball bearings. The face is cut to a crown of about 2.5 degrees on each side with a 1/4" land in the center. Belt tracking looks off in the picture, but the belt had just been put on, not run, it tracks great.

[​IMG]

The tensioner arm in bar stock pivoting on a 3/4" shoulder bolt. The bolt goes through a bored piece of DOM tube welded in the upright. There is a brass grub srew in the nut so the tightness can be fine tuned and locked down.

I built this whole thing without a milling machine, as my Bridgeport is not currently set up. The only machines I used were my South Bend 9" lathe, a drill press, and a metal cutting bandsaw.

Sorry for long post, but I just wanted to condense all the information I gleaned before doing this project, so as to maybe help someone else along. Greyson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edited because pics were HUGE

9. Welcome Greyson.

10. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

take a tool,leave a tool.would be a good mantra.
    nice belt grinder,bet its handy.
    i have a small bench one,from the el cheapo tool company,was thinking about using the parts to make one that uses a longer belt.

11. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Nice first post. Great job.

12. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Made this for working on my OT motorcycle. Perhaps the idea could be adapted for use here.

So basically I am your stereotypical cheap Irishman. That said I always try and save a buck and if I can get two or more uses out of a tool I will. When I stripped down the ZZR head to get the valve train I used my Quick Grip clamp and an O2 sensor socket as a valve spring compressor. Worked ok but I had to hold the socket on place. I made this out of some scrap metal lying around the garage. Works great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressed a 3/8 square nut inside the tube to hold it to the “C” shaped channel.

[​IMG]

Cur this out of a piece of rectangular tube. It holds the adapter to the clamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The padded jaws protect the head from damage.

[​IMG]

Just thought I would share with the rest of you.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

13. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

It might be one somewhere in this forum but here goes.
    Has anyone attempted to make a homemade flow bench for checking heads?

I almost did this years ago & researched it on the internet but then just never did it.

14. Not a tool, but a homemade storage rack on a tool. Got this shear and I hate to throw away the small scraps. Didn't really have a good way to store the small pieces.

I took some old refrigerator shelves and some left over electrical conduit and rigged up this. It doesn't hold dirt or dust either. Could work in other bench applications too.

Attached Files:

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

This thread never disappoints.

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks I'm going to use this one.

17. Love this thread,
    Just finished my X Shrinker/stretcher movable stand.
    The Space between the 2 tools help to do very small and very large pieces ;)
    Fun tools !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I run a lot of heavy parts through my sand blast cabinet, and this really saves on my back and arms when loading and unloading my cabinet through the side door, as well as repositioning parts inside when blasting.

A cut to fit section of aluminum roller conveyor track.

Attached Files:

19. wandi harry

wandi harry

After posts about homemade cnc machines and belt sanders l am going to bring this thread down to my sorry arse level with a pitiful post of my poor man anvil device or as l call it the wacking wheel.

Needing to smack the crap out of my x centre rails to straighten and not having a anvil l had a look at my scrap pile where the odd failed project goes to wait for resurrection and found an old flywheel from a home forge that didnt pan out.

Threw it in the vice, straightened my wavy member.
    Worked great
    Sorry for my lowtech tech but l will now claim that l contribute to the Hamb

Attached Files:

20. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

When I subsribed to this forum it wasn't about "homemade" CNC machines. It was about the low tech but ingenious inventions of people using what they have to get a job done. As far as I am concerned no apology is needed and, thanks for your contribution.

21. Ditto to johnwd98. And...

Wandi Harrry - It did the job for you. So regardless of the tech level, your contribution will likely help someone else. THANKS !

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

"Big hammer tech" still works when the power is out. I appreciate hi-tech machining and backyard shade tree tooling too. Love having the machinery I have, but still make a lot of parts with a hammer and hand drill. It's all good!

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Wolfcreek Steve that is one cool tool! Nice work!

24. I used to work as an industrial modelmaker for a company that made scissors and cutlery. It seemed that where ever I went and was asked what I did, someone would let it be known that he made a knife out of a file.
    Some day I am going to make a file out of a knife! LOL

25. sedanbob

sedanbob

I have a couple of chisels for a wood lathe that were made from files... And I personally have made a tool for putting funny creases into paper (without cutting it) out of scissors!

26. olcarguy

olcarguy

Shite Man I got a pair of tin snips that does the same thing to sheet metal.....:):)

27. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

damn theres some good reading there ^^^^^^^^^^^

28. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

American Rodder had plans on a heavy duty bead roller July 1994.

Ago

29. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I had to laugh at this. I thought I was the only one. Also have some scissors that fold without cutting. The HAMB is so informing!!!!!!!!!!!!