Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Budro35

Budro35

Hello Don!
    I really enjoy your truck build!! Take a look at these double cuts made by Kett tool company. I have had mine for over 30 years and they are still plugging away! I have nibblers, power shears etc but love my double cuts. I hate those little pieces of metal flying around but sometimes the nibblers are the only thing you can use. Good luck to you! :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks pretty cool!
    I see that you have a Radio Flyer also hanging on your garages wall.
    I've used mine in swapmeets now and then,its makes life a bit easier when transporting all the goods to car.Keep up the good work!

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, guys. :)

N847, It is going to be screwed down all around the perimeter with stainless button heads. I considered making it flip up but there is nothing inside that I need constant access to so it doesn't need to open. I am going to put a gas fill in one rear corner, Dan and I laid the cap off of his rpu on there last night and it looks ok, and it will save me a lot of hassle doing it that way.

Budro, I have an air shear kinda like that and I use it sometimes, but yours looks a lot better. No matter how I swept the floor and shop vac'd it, some of those little C's still find their way onto my shoe bottoms. I think this is the last piece I need to cut for the car, so thankfully, that mess should be over with.

Finnrodder, yep, that is my trusty swap meet cart. I keep threatening to put bigger tires on it to quiet it down over pavement, but it works fine otherwise. :)

Don

4. n847

n847

5. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

This is giving me some great ideas for a pickup bed for my project. Excellent work. :D

[​IMG]

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

7. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Ditto. Louvers just say "hot rod" to me. Nice build.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks again, guys.

N847, that style is one that I had considered, I have one something like it on my 27 and like it. But Speedway has a simple round chrome cap they put on their aluminum round tanks that I think I will use. It will look kinda old timey up there and all I will have to do is punch a round hole in the tonneau for the neck to come through. I figure if the cap is just slightly above the tonneau it won't look too bad, and I am trying to go as simple as possible on that part of the build. That cap Speedway sells is also vented which will save me having to run a seperate vent line.

But knowing how I change my mind more often than I change my socks, I may go another direction tommorow. :eek::D

Don

9. I really like the tonneau really fits in with the rest of your build. You and Dan build some nice stuff. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

10. Good to see the momentum pick up on this build again.
    It's really looking good now!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks great, Don --- VERY nice work!

Malcolm

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like that louvered bed cover Don, much nicer than having it for the bed bottom.

I would like something similar for mine although I think the louvers would be a problem as I would want it to keep the contents of my small bed dry.

Any way to do that and still have louvers ?

As for gas caps, heve you seen the almost infinite variety that CraftyB makes ? Some very nice ones. :)

http://www.crafty-b.net/products/gascaps.php

Larry

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I think I called the bed cover earlier ... Looks kick ass mounted up.

I too have the dbl cutting electric shears. Beats those little half "C" in your sneaks.

Im diggn the progress. Looking good.

I'm starting to make a little progress on the '64 - pix soon.

Paul

14. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I think I called the bed cover earlier ... Looks kick ass mounted up.

I too have the dbl cutting electric shears. Beats those little half "C" in your sneaks.

Im diggn the progress. Looking good.

I'm starting to make a little progress on the '64 - pix soon.

Paul

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Y'all. :D Larry, I know of no way to seal something once louvers are punched, maybe an innerliner that tightly fits up against the bottom of the panel ? Need Louvers on here may have an answer as that is his area of expertise. I like those caps Crafty B makes, but I would have to go without eating for a few weeks ! :eek: They are nice though.

Paul, yes, you did think it would be best as a tonneau cover.........I hate it when you are right all the time !:p:D Glad to see you are making some progress on yours too. Maybe 2013 will be a better year for all of us in that regard.

Don

16. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I couldn't get any worse ...

Blue car has apptmnt with pinstripes ... Wait to you see what gets done.

Happy New Year m/friend.

Paul

17. Hey Don. I was looking back thru your thread to reference your floors.
    Wondering if there are any updates on the build too.

18. Douglas567

Douglas567
    from usa

Don I'm liking what I'm seeing[​IMG]

19. Don, I love your rpu! looking at doing the same thing. If you dont mind what are your measurements from dash to back of cab and the width of boby at back of cab. It would give me a good start on mine. Thanks

20. High time for an update! Five months and nuttin' but crickets...

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sorry guys, I didn't know there had been posts on this thread. :eek: I literally have not done a thing on it since December. I decided to come out of retirement and I went back to work in January and just haven't had the energy or time to even look at it since then.

But that started to change today. :D Dan hasn't touched his Mustang project in all the time either and we both finally decided enough was enough, so yesterday we went to the shop and cleaned it, and today we began working on our cars again. Today I made a list of all the things I need to do to finish it up and it really isn't a huge list.........just a few things to weld up yet, like a battery box and some tabs for the radiator to sit on. Then I can start prepping the frame and running gear for paint,

I also went through the shelves of parts I have stashed and found I have a lot of the expensive parts I need to do it already. I went on a buying spree last year and I forgot I had ordered most of these parts.

So, thanks for keeping my project in mind, and I promise to post some updates and pictures soon.:) Dan also got more of the welding done on the wheel tubs on his car, but it isn't HAMB friendly, so we won't be posting any pictures of it here.

Don

22. Yeah, I was wondering what happened to this one.
    You are a lot closer to the finish than the start

23. That's great news Don. Looking forward to seeing progress posted again.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I dunno I guess I will have to come over and kick you both up the ass to get you both started again :D

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Don,

I thought you both had new chicks that took you all away from the projects.

I'm trying too to finish up the Fairlane for the Oct. B/P drags. I'd like to tow out to the HAMB drags but time & money will not let me do it this year.

Glad to see you both are back at it.

Where is Dan posting pix of his stang updates??

Paul

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. I did forget how far along it is, the finish line is sort of in sight.

Haha, Steve, don't you have a Caddy motor to build or something? When are you and Sue coming over Stateside? I remember how well you liked the temperature in our shop the last time you came over in the Summer ! :eek::D

Paul, those pictures of the Fairlane you sent me look great. Going to be a nice car. Not sure where Dan might be posting pictures. I know he is on a lot of the Fox Ford forums, but not sure which ones. As usual for Dan, he is making the underside of the car as smooth as the top and worrying about every little detail. :rolleyes:

Don

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don we will be definitely over either late September or early October, we are aiming to fly into Orlando and come and spend a few days with you guys then off to Austin Tx for 2 weeks, see you soon

28. Hi Don, first, good to have you back and you didn't say what you been up to to get you out of retirement. Hey you can always post updates of the Muzzie build back on the CHR site or Dan maybe as some of us old buggers would like to see you all back there.

29. frank rempel

frank rempel
    from kingman az

Looks good Don. Love the suicide front. Did that on my 29 roadster 52 yrs ago. Still miss that ride. Your panhard replacement looks like it should work. "Git er done!"

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The least you could do is show pics of you cleaning the shop...

:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.