Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Tool box hell!! They're goin' on my car!!!!

2. OldColt

OldColt

GENE CROMER – THE INVADER FROM SOUTH CAROLINA! I’m bumping this back up because it is such a great short story. The story highlights Gene’s career accomplishments with the Willys and Funny Car. Mentions a couple of mishaps, and has a couple of pictures to boot. Great reading for any Moonlighter fan. http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD-Feb-2003/SOD-021103.htm --- Steve ---

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. Gene ask me to try and post these two videos,,I hope they work. HRP

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/siE7hHUNL-4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_A1BRXkTW2U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

5. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Gene; Got the springs back today, Sorry they didn't work. Chris

6. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Thanks for posting HRP.......looks like you were wrong, I didn't end up on the cutting room floor......Bon jour.

7. It took me most of the day yesterday to figure out how to upload Gene's disc to my PC and then upload to you tube. HRP

8. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I'll have to give you an "at a boy" for that. I know that stuff takes time. You done good!

9. my1971buick

my1971buick

Thanks for posting videos!

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the videos....the next best thing to being there. In the first video, Gene still has that sparkle in his eye as any 20 year old kid would have talking about that Willys and drag racing. Great stuff ! :D

11. OldColt

OldColt

Exact same response I was going to post Baron. Ya' beat me to it. Also, Thanks for going to the extra trouble to post the video HRP. --- Steve ---

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

13. dirt42

dirt42

Excellent videos HRB. Thanks for spending the time to put them all together.

14. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Danny for posting, sorry it took so much of your time.
    Gene,

15. Gene,
    I think it is just another sign of the respect and admiration you have instilled in the guys that watched you while growing up.. And the older ones you picked up along this build.

Gene you come across as real nice guy. I bet that wasn't the case for your competitors when you meet out by the tree ;)

16. OldColt

OldColt

Just went back and watched the engine fire up video again. It looked much like a precision drill. Back in the day, Gene and Melvin kept up with the pit duties on both the Willys and Mustang, and Gene drove both cars. Many multi guy crews thrashed their butts off just to go rounds with just one injected alky or nitro funny car back then. I wish some sort of belated best crew & driver award could be bestowed on Gene and Melvin. Must have been two very busy and efficient dudes. --- Steve ---

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  17. sbs

sbs

Well said! That is the exact description of Gene Cromer. I always saw him as unassuming , never arrogant, clean cut, family man but ferocious at the starting line. I followed him around in the 60's and there weren't many losses.

18. Gene,I suppose it took a long time because I didn't know what I was doing but happy to figure it out and post it for you.

See you at the downtown car show tomorrow! HRP

19. catdad49

catdad49

HRP, thanks for the videos. More great stuff related to the Moonlighter. Congratulations to all that were/are involved in presenting this great story. Might wear my Moonlighter shirt this weekend, but may also reserve it just for special occasions. Have a great weekend, Carp

20. OldColt

OldColt

Any reports or pics yet from the Anderson car show yesterday? --- Steve ---

21. This is the only photo we took,,Gene was swamped with autograph seekers! :)
    HRP

[​IMG]

22. The newspaper did their normal job,,take a lot of photos of none hamb friendly cars,,not a single photo of Genes car.:mad: HRP

23. OldColt

OldColt

Have you asked him how it feels to be a celebrity?

24. Yeah,I said something along those lines yesterday,,,his normal reply,"Amazing" :)

We did get seated close to Ruth and her daughters at breakfast and they are always a treat,,I think Ruth was actually having more fun than Gene.:)HRP

25. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I took a few pictures.
    This is an original 41 Willys Americar sedan, the front end and under the hood is the same as the Moonlighter once looked.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Gene and DGreggsr cruised around the old courthouse.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [img[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

27. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

28. OldColt

OldColt

Wow, great pics and video guys! Bet it never crossed Gene's mind that sometime way in the future he would drive the Moonlighter right downtown, and even run a redlight with it. If he did, he would probably envisioned attention of the "police" kind, and not the "admiring fans" kind lol. --- Steve ---

29. Frank,,yeah,,it's short but sweet! HRP

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qybdMls32YE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I sure hope someone has more video! I've been thinking about this all weekend!