Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guys who build...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrSweeneyRod, Jun 16, 2013.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I have always read on here about story's of people who go to shows and swap meets and their are always some impressive builds, then you here about the two types of people...people who build them selfs and people who pay someone else to do it ( not that theirs anything wrong with it ) and today i experienced it first hand.

Went to a local opening of a new 50's style hot rod cafe, great time and got speaking to a guy with a nicely built chevy 3100... Looked around it and we started to talk, was a nice guy and i asked could i take some pictures as he had a couple of parts that i would like to use on my truck, he looked shocked that i owned a truck and even told me that he didn't expect me to have anything older then 10 years, i look a lot younger then what i am and still can't even buy alcohol with out my Id, so while taking the pictures he asked me what i have ( i have a 38 ford panel truck ) so i told him, and for some odd reason started to act really fun with me like i had said something wrong. The final question i asked him was what work had he done on the truck, and he told me nothing at all and it was built for him...with this, mid conversation he stopped talking to me and walked of.

Had i said something to affend him ?

2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Maybe his order was ready?

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

If he had diarrhea, He may have had to tottel off to the rest room. Or maybe he didn't like 38' Ford panel trucks..... Was your fly open ?.... That will do it every time.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan...Dennis is off his meds again!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. badshifter

badshifter

If you forget to brush and floss you may have bad breath.

6. He's an ASSHOLE. That's my diagnosis. Find a couple at every gathering. Just like farts, they stink up the place, then they're gone, don't let them ruin your day.

7. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Great answers...and i thought i felt a breeze...

This was my first hot rod event and i didnt expect the first person i talk to to act like that...

But I'm not put off, i just learn from it.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Did you fart ?..... Did He fart ?......

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yup Yup Yup !..... You got a point there Larry... So,... why did you walk away from this guy when he was talking to you ????:rolleyes:

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Maybe his late father built it for him.

12. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

He walked away from me...but your right i must have smelt bad.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Oh sure !,.... Your going to rat me out to Dad !,.... Last time you did that, he said "Boys ! Don't make me pull this Web Sight over !!!!" Your always getting us in trouble !:D

14. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Nope just local people

15. Your very first event ? And probably his 47,000 th.
    at every event he gets asked questions about his ride that he can't answer. Some place in the past he ran into a few guys who made him feel silly about that and now he just walks away from those he can't impress or feels are about to make him feel silly again.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Dennis was talkin' to me...don't encourage him...:D

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Dad always liked me best...:p

18. He walked away from you because he got the feeling that you were about to start asking questions that he did not know the answer to. Because he had someone else build it, he probably knows nothing about the inner workings. His defense mechanism was to run.....

Many years ago, I was at SEMA and I had an awful sinus infection. I was at the Boyd Coddington booth talking to one of the techs about a paint color they used, and I sneezed. I caught the "particulates" in my hand, but when I pulled away, snot was everywhere. That guy nearly climbed over the top of one of Boyd's mega-dollar cars to get away from me. Initially, I was embarrassed, but a few minutes later, I was laughing my ass off. The look on that guy's face was priceless.

Farts, bad breath, missing teeth, B.O., crossed eyes, missing limbs, Tourettes, and snot are all very effective at ending conversations in a hurry.

19. I hate people like that!!! That's why I build hot rods!!!

20. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Great story....i like it.

But I'm very clean and healthy with all limbs, teeth, hair, eyes and everything else. :D

21. He was a member of the Chevy tribe and you belong to the Ford tribe. It is forbidden for you to mingle.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Larry,........ :cool: I think I know why we don't get too many people to talk to us,..... :eek::D:D:D

Now just to clarify,... Is this all at the same time or just one or two at any given moment ? :D

23. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Why didn't you ask him?
    May be he thought everything he said or did you repeat the next day on an Internet forum.

24. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Ask him what...why he walked of ?

25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I suspect he left cause he didn't build his vehicle and could bring nothing to the table. Not everyones a hands on builder in skill or knowledge with what they drive except general maintenance and sometimes not even that. I don't hate them otherwise I wouldn't be able to supplement my income. You have the audience and you have the guys in the band. You need them both.

26. badshifter

badshifter

I think we should all post our failed conversation stories on the HAMB.

Why waste this forum with that annoying traditional hot rod and custom information.

27. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

As it was my first event i just wanted to know if i had said anything wrong which could be avoided in the future.

28. Bad mood today bad shifter ?
    It's a rough day for some of us.

How about we talk about how to wash dirt off a car :)

29. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe he had heard "If you didn't build it yourself, you don't deserve to have it." one to many times and saw the conversation heading that way.

30. Harms Way

Harms Way

OR,..... Maybe he was Deaf !!!!!!! Did you ever think of that ? Was he playing with his fingers a lot ? :D