Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this even worth tryin to fix?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55fbomb, Jun 16, 2013.

1. 55fbomb

55fbomb
    from PA

got the carpet and seats ripped out yesterday check out the rust damage. the likelyhood of me finding a decent cab around here is probly not too good, would you guys even try to fix this mess?

Attached Files:

2. A lot worse have been brought back,,it's really not that bad. HRP

3. Its not too bad...

4. If you are the type of guy who fucks around a lot or is scatter brained or never welded before that might take a week to fix.

Other than that I can't see it taking more than a couple days to have a new floor in painted and ready to go.

5. upspirate

upspirate

Depends on your tools, skill,and knowledge levels, and your determination.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Man, road salt! I'm more concerned with the inner jamb support, rockers and body mounts being rotted away than the floor.
    What type of truck? If replacement panels are not available, you're in for a lot of work. Doable, but a lot of work to do it right.

7. bgaro

bgaro

this is the northeast, we fix.

8. It`s easy to get overwhelmed with a repair like this. Take one area at a time. Many worse have been saved.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Not too bad at all. Seen a lot worse being restored.

10. It can be fixed. If it's something you can find a panel for, go that route. It's MUCH faster than patching, plus your seats will fit with LESS drama.

I've done a few in patches, but when I did my Firebird, I used panels. Costly, yes. Done in a weekend instead of a week.

11. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

12. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

It's not to bad, I guess it really depends on your skills with metal and a welder.

13. oldolds

oldolds

You are in PA. That would be advertised as a nearly rust free cab. Floor repairs are easy. You just weld them and you are about done. No hours of finishing work, unless you are doing a top dollar restoration.

14. Attached Files:

15. rixrex

rixrex

After looking at that fella go for that Falcon Ranchero "Rust Ranch" it seems like anything can be brought back to life..

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It's not too bad. I once had a transmission tunnel made and welded in. I took it to a welding shop, not car related. I showed the guy what I wanted done. He said no problem. It cost me $300 and he was done in 5 hours. Picked it up the same day. He did a great job but was very apologetic because you could see the welds. I told him, are you kidding? I was impressed.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

No it's not. Shut the garage door and go buy a new Hyundai and be happy. Forget the old shit it's old shit.

If you don't want to do that, then your cab is very fixable. I live in the northeast and have fixed way worse than that, and less desirable bodies too.

18. Zeke

Zeke

Better than what I started with. Have a go at it. worse you can do is fuck it up and have to start over.

19. I've seen worse still being driven down the road.

20. hell compared to my stuff that's a rock solid start when you have holes big enough to drop small children through with out them touching the edges then its time to start wonderin if its worth fixing

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is pretty messed up. I don't know where you people are getting that it is not that bad. I would bet that once you cut it up to the point of good metal you will have no floor or underlying supports at all.

could it be fixed? sure. I could fix that for you, depending on what kind of truck it is you could buy 2 or 3 new cabs in good shape for what it would cost, and I work cheap.

show a picture of the rest of it

22. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Not bad at all. go for it.

23. coralhead

coralhead
    from S. Indiana

Here's my before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. flathead okie

flathead okie

That resembles me. :D:D:confused::eek:

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

26. I would weld in some support bracing in there before removing too much rusty metal so the cab doesn't fall down over the frame. But you really should take the cab off and fix it in my opinion.
    Funny how its fixable in the NE but useless junk out West.:)

27. Lmc has everything & everything is at high prices.
    It's convenient one stop shopping for sure but I only get the stuff that nobody else has.

28. 55fbomb

55fbomb
    from PA

thanks fellas, the rest of the cab is decent, even around the drip rail and windshield but i just am unsure where to draw the line between fixing and replacing. im sure it could be saved but when does it stop being time and cost effective. its gonna take me a while to weld all that in, all i have is a tig welder but it should look good if i pull it off. the rest of the truck, 58 f100 by the way, shoulda mentioned that, is probly all salvageable except the one front fender. the cab mounts and floor supports are long gone in this also, its pretty bad. i had to drill out all the rivets and pull the P.O.s previous repairs which im sure made this worse. at least its gutted out a bit to dry now. the old y block started right up though, and its been sitting a while. thanks for the links to repair panels and the words of encouragement.

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Dennis Carpenter has some of the parts, I couldn't find a floor, but they had the step and step well.

With as many parts needed to repair that cab it might be cheaper to buy from one place to save on shipping costs.

I have friends in other parts of the country that laugh at the stuff we repair up here. Sure, a nice solid cab is the way to go but finding a decent one up here is getting next to impossible. When you do find one it's usually crazy price. Some of us have more time than money. I know that's usually my case.