Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to correctly wash a barn find?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tatzandrodz, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatzandrodz

Tatzandrodz
    from Maryland

Got a 1950 buick super coming tomorrow. Been in a barn/garage for years covered in dust but has wonderful silk like paint underneath. Tips on how to get the 10ft of dust off would be wonderful. Or is it really just hose and soap.... I don't want to mess the paint by dragging dust across it.... Thanks

2. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

I would use lots and lots of clean water. No hard scrubbing with dirt and dust on the paint. Its important to rinse the sponge or cloth frequently., sometimes after every wipe. Then soap and water normal wash.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

As mentioned in the other thread we're not quite sure what to make of your question. Most people know how to wash a car. Regardless, some response may help others.

The only tip I can offer is to gently wash as much dust off with gentle running water. You don't want to scratch that nice paint underneath by rubbing a sponge over dirt on paint. Get as much dirt off with spraying water (being careful not to get too much water in through the rubber seals which wouldn't be as soft as you might think). Once you have as much dirt and dust off as possible you can go over it again with a soapy sponge and bucket. Gentle, gentle and if there's still a lot of dust and dirt "stuck" to the paint using a well soaped and just dunked (and un-rung) sponge to wipe it away in one direction only. Never drag a dirt filled sponge over old (or any) paint. Always rinse well and re-soap the sponge to perform your next wipe.

In the other thread you started about the same thing you copped a fair bit of flack for not posting pics. This forum thrives on pics so get some pics and preferably in it's unwashed state. Until you do you will probably continue to be accosted by the smaller minded members on here.

Post pics - we all want to see this old dusty car.

Note:
    Posted at the same time as Willys1

4. koachwerks

koachwerks

As willys1 points out, frequently rinse your sponge or rag. If you don't, you risk scratching the paint by pushing the dirt around.

I'd b careful about hosing the car down too much. You'd hate to find a window seal is leaking and you get water in your interior.

If the paint ends up not as shiny as you thought it was going to be, 3m has some good polishing compounds. Do it by hand, not a power buffer! It's way too easy to build up heat and ruin the paint. Do one panel at a time and follow up with a good wax.

Chris

PAracer likes this.

5. How many threads are really needed on how to wash dust off a car?:confused:

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Oh for crying out loud...just wash the damn car and see what you have afterwards...too much drama about washing dirt off a car...really?

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The correct way to wash a barn find is....DONT WASH IT !!!!!

It took umpteen years to create the perfect piece. Once its washed you will never get it back....

Case in point.... A buddy found a 1947 Harley parked the way the guy did back when My buddy had a paper route. He went to the house, and the elderly lady, (The widow) asked her son, he didn't want it, so My buddy got it.... He did an oil change, rebuilt the carb, and put a new battery in it.... It ran great....

He took it to the Canton rod show, and it went up against and beet an Orange county chopper bike.... He came home with many trophies. Patina, dirt,,, it took all those years for perfection. WHo would want to wash that off?

8. Dyce

Dyce

That's what I like!! Right to the point. I would take it to a car wash and use a pressure washer (if you don't have one) and blow the dirt off. Stay away from the windows because they always leak. then take it home a bucket wash it and wipe it down.

9. olds vroom

olds vroom

Let it sit in a good rain

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Cheap low pressure pressure washer would work great. I have a small mobile auto detail business and use one. I have done a few black trucks that were covered in mud without scratching the paint. Just be sure to keep the nozzle about 6 inches from the surface. And most of the pressure washers have a place to put soap in to help losen any stuck on dirt. Hope this helps some good luck with the clean up.

PAracer likes this.

11. Almost as many as the picture request threads. :rolleyes:

12. Have a hot chick in a bikini wash it, and Ill be requesting pics :D

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

" Been in a barn/garage for years covered in dust but has wonderful silk like paint underneath."

How did you clean off the section to discover the wonderful silk like paint underneath? You might consider that method for the rest of the car.

It's not like you're unearthing a T Rex skeleton, for Pete's sake.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. No shit!!! Soap and water!!!

15. Dyce

Dyce

At least it's not a what's it worth thread!!!

16. My daily 47' (barn find) hasn't been washed in over 20 years.

17. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

pressure wash that mother fucker

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Leaf blower or blow gun to get the loose stuff off then wash it like you would anything else.

19. afaulk

afaulk

Get at least 2 big breasted women, lots of soap and a video camera...........

alanp561 likes this.
  20. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Lacquer thinner and a wire brush

21. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

haha

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1

Now we have clowns wanting to keep the "original" barn find dirt complete with bird turds. This is getting totally out of hand with the idiocy of it.

Every time I drag something that is covered in dirt home I take it by the car wash trailer an all and use five bucks worth of quarters hosing it down. Save a few to flush the trailer off and take it on home minus the dirt and bird shit.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  24. 5559

from tn

I want more info on the knuck

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Like so............
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sjb3nh9BxOE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

alanp561 likes this.
  26. What a stupid thread.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Leave it on the trailer and take it to your local self wash car wash place. Squirt it down good and let it dry on the way home

28. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I was told that chicken poop the preferred bird poop because it helps to authenticate an actual barn find. I think some of the poop on my car is pigeon poop and I'm afraid I may lose points in judging for urban ghetto content.

So, my question is....what is the best method to identify and remove the ghetto poop without disturbing the preferred patina poop?

Outback likes this.
  29. bt34

bt34

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    alanp561 likes this.
  30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Ha. Man, 5 stars all the way.

Soap and water me thinks? Then again, I'm no expert on such complicated matters as washing a fucking car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.