Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a 100 micron filter enough?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lt1tyrell, Jun 14, 2013.

1. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

Working on my fuel system, new gas tank, 3/8 line, holley mechanical pump, and a new holley carb. I am putting a 100 micron mesh filter along frame between tank and pump. Do I need another filter between pump and carb? Or am I good to go? Thanks

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not for me. I like using fuel injection filters which usually filter down to less than 20 microns. You'd be surprised what regular carb filters let through to your fuel bowl.

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A filter before and after any pump is a good idea. Filter specs can be more critical with electric pumps, as some recommend 100 micron minimum before the pump, and 40 to the carb.
    With your mechanical pump and pre-pump 100 micron, I would use a 10-40 micron to the carb. BTMO :)

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

100 micron is just under 4 thousandths. That's a lot bigger than I want going into a carburetor.

5. 10 micron is what most ind. Hyd. Systems use.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I just use an inline filter, and try to fill up at reputable stations... I keep my tank clean. If you go too small its gonna plug up to fast... A lot of resistamce, and your gonna loose fuel flow.

7. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

Ok I will check into it, just figured with a new tank and today's fuel I would be ok, way back all they had was sediment bowls! But if that's the case I will just put another one in between the mechanical pump and the carb.

8. perrysmith

perrysmith
    from Idaho, USA

I once found the better part of a tool kit, and several fasteners in the bowl of my carburetor. I doubt they came through the fuel line, but maybe somebody was in a hurry to reset the fuel height in the bowl. Perry

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use a 10 micron filter ahead of my electric fuel pump.